A visit to The ZED SHED

Darren-B

Took a little trip down to the Zed Shed yesterday morning. Left dark & early to take the scenic route down as the roads were dry and Quiet (kinda Quiet). Had a glance of the sunrise as I passed through Cowfold, then dipped the rear view mirror & Enjoyed the not so straight A272 & A285 :drive1 next thing I knew I was in the new forest :blush:

ZedShed052.jpg

ZedShed050-2.jpg

ZedShed047-1.jpg

So a quick fuel stop & I was parked outside the zed shed only an hour early

Luckily Chris was already up & driving in that mean green machine of his. So once he got back the kettle was on. I was given a quick tour & a coffee, then in a blink of an eye my zed was in the shed & in the air, thought I was losing my wheels for a minute :scare::lol:

So after a bit of a petrol head chat the car had cooled enough for us to climb under & get to work. After filling a few takeaway trays with nuts, bolts & washers we had a fair few parts off the car, exhaust Y-pipe, prop shaft, starter motor, CPS, Lambda sensors, a couple of braces & a not so light gearbox.

After a couple of Coffees we had the top inspection plate of the gearbox off, cleaned & resealed. Then the clutch out, followed by a rather knackered Dual mass fly that I could turn about 20degrees each way with one hand :scare: So on went a replacement Single mass flywheel ( after a trip out to replenish the locktight stocks) followed by an exedy 6puc clutch kit, & new TB then back on with the box. This was when it got interesting. Bob turned up, so theres me & Chris bench pressing a gearbox whilst having a chat with Bob about doughnuts & breaking gingers or something :shrug: beats going to the gym or the pub :lol: so after a bit of wriggling the box was back in, then we played the game, where did this bolt go??? Chris won!! He knows these zeds upside down!!!

Once all the parts were back on I fired her up with no fear , whoosh went the Vortech, popped her in 2nd & released the clutch, wehey it worked & YES YOU CAN CHANGE A CLUTCH ON AXLE STANDS :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: Unfortunately I managed to lock the camera in the boot when disconnecting the battery so no pictures my end :blush: But I`m sure Chris managed to take a few thoughout the day.

Next on the Agenda was a shower & a roast dinner :teeth: which I was truly not expecting, but went down a treat. Followed by dessert & what I though was an exciting F1 race @ Monza.

So The Zed Shed, it`s taken me a while to get down there, but certainly better late than never. Better late as everything is GREEN :teeth: Chris & his family are great, fun, relaxed, great hosts & PETROL HEADS :thumbs: & I can`t thank them enough the help & hospitality they provided me. Not to mention a great laugh

Wouldn't have expected anything less :clap::#1: How's it drive now :shrug::drive1

Driving it when on the move, even slowly is much better, before with the shot flywheel it would judder when on & off load unless I slipped the clutch a little. Now it`s just connected which is far better in my opinion. Get the usual SMF rattle below 2k under load, but hey that doesn't happen to often ;) Manoeuvring is a bit of a swine but I`ll get used to it. Real driving, well the pick up is amazing, the car feels quicker & even more energetic now & when it comes to heel `n` toe when hard on the brakes, the speed of the rpm pickup reminds me a little of the 997 Porker GT3 RS I had a play in a few weeks ago :teeth:

Zed Shed Rules :#1:

Pictures on your part epic fail, you know about the special catch under the strut :bangin:

Sounds like a good turn around. So how is the new clutch :thumbs:

By the time I thought of that I had been swimming in gear oil & making oily sandcastles on Chris`s face :surrender:

It was a first for me another Vortech SC Zed at the Shed :yahoo:

After a couple of weeks of PM's Darren ventured down south to prove once and for all if you can change the clutch on a Zed while on axel stands in one day and drive a couple of hundred miles home after................. Lucky the answer was Yes really :lol:

Mini out Zed in and another visitor pictured at this well??? known landmark

DSCF2498.jpg

I like this bit

DSCF2502.jpg

Darren was soon removing his interior

DSCF2500.jpg

exterior

DSCF2505.jpg

and lots of bits from underneath

DSCF2506.jpg

The aforementioned top plate being re-sealed

DSCF2507.jpg

Another coffee break - I like coffee :thumbs:

DSCF2510.jpg

Out with the old

DSCF2509.jpg

here they are old and new

DSCF2508.jpg

All in all not a bad days work :thumbs:

Thanks for the kind words Darren pleasure to work alongside you on your pride and joy, had a good laugh and it all went back together OK.

Next time we will use the trolley jack to lift the gearbox back in :bangin: O and I'm still washing the oil out of my hair - we should have drained it first! :lol:

Your Zed is a great example of a sleeper and I'm impressed with how smooth your V3 runs, I'm just glad it's only black - If it was green and black it would be as nice as mine :bleh::lol:

Saying of the day -

Keyser - "It's in the Red box 4th draw down in the blue tool box"

Darren-B "No it's green"

Keyser "What the tool box?"

Darren-B "All of it"

Keyser "Pass the yellow grips then"

Darren-B "No"

Keyser "NO?!"

Darren-B "No - They are green as well"

Keyser :surrender:

:thumbs:

Top work guys :thumbs: - I know you have been keen to get this job done Darren - more of these no doubt now :D

Another great example of how well this forum has worked for members who get out and meet others and share knowledge, skills and experience :clap: