Sir Stirling Moss

Ekona

What a thoroughly decent chap :thumbs:

Went to the launch of the Maser GTS last night in London at some posh club, and was just standing there chatting to my mate Mark when suddenly there was a mass of photographers snapping away at this short guy in a pale blue jacket. He turns around and I was a little bit taken back to discover that it was Sir Stirling not more than 10m away. He was kinda occupied most of the evening by the usual luvvy-dahlink kinda people who all earn more in one day than I do in a year, but after a couple of glasses of champagne I decided I wasn't going to miss a chance to say hello to just a legend so casually sauntered up and introduced myself.

I literally only wanted to shake his hand and leave the guy in peace, but both his wife and him insisted that I stick around for a bit and had a proper chat about racing, and how it's far too safe and dull these days compared with when he was doing it professionally. He spent longer talking with me than I could ever have expected, and tbh I could've stayed there all night, fascinating guy.

Perhaps it was a little bit uncool to get so excited by the thought of meeting a hero, but I'm bloody glad I did it. Jodie Kidd was there as well (she's proper tall!), but I didn't really get a chance to speak with her. Sir Stirling is far cooler though. B)

Stirling has always struck me as a really decent chap,and most of the 'classic' racers seem to be the same,Jackie Stewart is also very nice and approachable, he came around the factory last year to see how much its changed since he owned the place.

Fair play going to have a chat to him,and sounds like a very nice evening.

What a thoroughly decent chap :thumbs:

Went to the launch of the Maser GTS last night in London at some posh club, and was just standing there chatting to my mate Mark when suddenly there was a mass of photographers snapping away at this short guy in a pale blue jacket. He turns around and I was a little bit taken back to discover that it was Sir Stirling not more than 10m away. He was kinda occupied most of the evening by the usual luvvy-dahlink kinda people who all earn more in one day than I do in a year, but after a couple of glasses of champagne I decided I wasn't going to miss a chance to say hello to just a legend so casually sauntered up and introduced myself.

I literally only wanted to shake his hand and leave the guy in peace, but both his wife and him insisted that I stick around for a bit and had a proper chat about racing, and how it's far too safe and dull these days compared with when he was doing it professionally. He spent longer talking with me than I could ever have expected, and tbh I could've stayed there all night, fascinating guy.

Perhaps it was a little bit uncool to get so excited by the thought of meeting a hero, but I'm bloody glad I did it. Jodie Kidd was there as well (she's proper tall!), but I didn't really get a chance to speak with her. Sir Stirling is far cooler though. B)

He is a man of the people and I watched a documentry on him once were he said." give me a bunch of normal car nuts anyday"

great stuff)

I always make sure I try and get a photo with them (that's just me I want something to show my parents and god willing kids if i ever have any! :lol: ).

I have one with Mika Hakkinen from years ago .......It's my only one so far but, hoping for more in the future!.... :lol:

I hope you got a photo with him!!

I didn't, as much as I would've liked to I think that would've been a bit sad. Just meeting the man is good enough for me, I'll always have the memory :)

Absolutely.....I've never understood pictures or autographs. Just because someone is good at something does not make them a superhuman or anything. They don't know you, don't like you and basically don't want to know you just because they have their picture taken with you or sign a scrap of paper.

However someone taking the time to have a chat with you or maybe even liking you and having a laugh.....now that's worth something.

Like when I met SMD.....the man, the myth.......the legend

I hope you got a photo with him!!

I didn't, as much as I would've liked to I think that would've been a bit sad. Just meeting the man is good enough for me, I'll always have the memory :)

Absolutely.....I've never understood pictures or autographs. Just because someone is good at something does not make them a superhuman or anything. They don't know you, don't like you and basically don't want to know you just because they have their picture taken with you or sign a scrap of paper.

However someone taking the time to have a chat with you or maybe even liking you and having a laugh.....now that's worth something.

Like when I met SMD.....the man, the myth.......the legend

He said the same about you too, in awe of the DD I guess :D