Fastest and funnest for under 10K

CrumbMC

This might just be the chap you want...with change out of £10k too ;)

http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/mazda/mx-5-mk2/1-8-turbocharged/703282

quote="Advert"]Stunning car. Professionally Turbocharged in November 2006 by 'mx5mad' including upgraded ECU, Injectors, Intercooler, Radiator, clutch and exhaust system at a cost of £6640.

I wish HR Z FI kits were that cheap! :(

i loved the MR2 roadster for this reason too. £2.5k

That MX5 has some nice upgrades on it.

Again some really good suggestions. After looking a lot more over the past few days its amazing what you can get for your money at the moment.

Just got back from taking my mate to the station in the Zed. Peeing it down but still had a fun drive back. I often forget how nice the 350z is when driving at 70-80%. Made me second guess how much refinement i am willing to give up :blush:

I think I will probably end up going down the small 2 seater road rather than a caterfield. as much as I'd love one, its nice to be able to enjoy a car even when the weathers not so great. Especially when i live in the lakes where it rains all the time.

I'm in no rush to sell though and there are so many cars that i want to look into :stir:

I give you the TVR Cerbera.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/4151914.htm

30k on the clocks, taxed and tested till spring next year, under £10k :cloud9:

1. Driving dynamics / enjoyment when driving at 10/10ths - 10/10. rwd, no traction control, silly power, silly lightweight.

2. running costs (not including fuel) - 7/10

3. Engine performance - 11-12 out of 10, easy. its a TVR V8 for peats sake!

5. looks - maybe a conservative 15/10? again, its a TVR :cloud9:

4. Practicality - 10/10... 4 seats, boot, many cows gave their hides to furnish it, and it'll annihilate anything in a this side of a supercar in a straight line

Woooowww!!!!!! That's the sort of thing i was hoping to get in this thread :cloud9:

Might have to look into it a bit more. However TVRs do have a repution for killing people and/or bankrupting them through parts and labour cost. Still definately worth a second look though.

TVR's are notoriously unreliable however there is a company called "tvr power" based in the west country I think who are meant to be very good and depending on what you want done can make them reliable and also tune which ever TVR you have.

If you were thinking of TVR you could look at a cheaper model like the Griffith and use the extra money to go and make it relable/more powerfull at TVR Power

That charged 5 is pretty heavy money IMO, I have a good friend who keeps buying them and is paying a lot less than that. EDIT: At £5200 it might be worth a look mind you, sorted ones are real little rocketships ;)

I have an MR2 Roadster and it is is awesome fun. Not the fastest in a straight line, and totally impractical but a real laugh, if you can find one with the Celica or even Camry V6 conversions they would be pretty awesome :D

Id have said that for £10K theres better options out there though, Id be looking toward old 911's and Boxsters.

Problem with Porsches is that your £10k turns into £15k including servicing and repairs pretty quickly.

If you google woodsport I think it is you will find the MR2 conversion guys.

If you go to a dealership. A Porsche is cheaper to run than a 350z. Parts are cheaper and servicing done by an indie is the same or less.

http://www.woodsport.org/joomla/

http://www.roguesystems.co.uk/

both do engine conversions. if it was me i'd be converting to the 2ZZ engine and then turboing that :blush:

and this shows how easy they are to work on.

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... 9&p=337004

loved working on the MR2 roadster you could change a manifold in 30 min an exhaust was a doddle taking about 20 min

and dropping an engine out was pretty straight forward.

Problem with Porsches is that your £10k turns into £15k including servicing and repairs pretty quickly.

If you go to a dealership. A Porsche is cheaper to run than a 350z. Parts are cheaper and servicing done by an indie is the same or less.

But its not the 350z we are comparing against, its the cost of maintaining an MX5 or the like which are much cheaper.

VX220s are definately a serious contender. I know a lad who has one too so i can get him to show me around it and take me for a blast

As much as i would love something with a V8, Im trying to go for something a bit smaller and focussed so it is quick and fun, but not too expensive to maintain. plus i think i would become Camskill's best customer if i got a Monaro (I have looked into it before :blush: ) . I'm bad enough in the 350Z.

But its not the 350z we are comparing against, its the cost of maintaining an MX5 or the like which are much cheaper.

Ahh good point. :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at similar options now ive sold my 313 Zed Roadster. For 10k you can get a lot. Hell, I sold my roadster for 9k, so could have just kept that!

But outside of the zed, 10k will get you quite a lot. You can get a 1998 Elise S1 - fun on the bends, maybe not as quick as you want. An early vx220 - same as Elise really. The VX220 turbo is just outside of 10k.

I was considering an Impreza WRX. A lot of my mates have or have had them and they are some of the quickest cars you can get for the money. One mate spent got a 1999 model on the road with 325+ bhp for well less than £2000. His mate has 676bhp out of his one and does 30 to 130mph in something like 6 seconds. Only thing I have against them is that they are 4 door family cars, and id prefer maybe something a bit smaller and more sporty if im getting it as a "fun" weekend car.

If porsches are your thing, ive seen boxsters for around the 5k mark. As someone else said, E46 M3`s are well under 10k now, so you can get a "nice" one with decent mileage within that price range.

Caterhams, MX5`s, MR2 Turbos, RX8`s, all well well within that. Some you could probably get for 4 or 5k, leaving you plenty of change for tuning if required.

The list just goes on!

Although some members of the forum seem to have a problem with me giving opinions, the E46 and Scooby arent as focused on "fun" as a Zed is, and the RX8 is a lesser (albeit amazing handling) version of the same thing IMO. Id still be looking at a Boxster although if youve got the cash, a Mk3 MR2 with some kind of copnversion would be amazing, Ive been using the missus for the last week and love it :D

if youve got the cash, a Mk3 MR2 with some kind of copnversion would be amazing, Ive been using the missus for the last week and love it :D

+1

Our lass has a mk3 with the hardtop too. the car handles like on rails and is fantastic to drive! A bit more power (Woodsport 3.0 v6 or 3sgte conversion maybe?) and the car would be a proper missile! :thumbs:

1b58dc52.jpg