*Custom Anodised Plenum Spacers* £170 (next batch March)

Wasso

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't believe you can clear anodise as its a dye that's included into the electro process.

Just FYI, we have some lightweight brackets here that are clear anodised, so must be possible somehow I guess? :thumbs:

Interesting. The only issue being is the Anodising process is only a coating which is only a small amount of Microns thick. I would guess it would be possible to polish off the anodising. Something worth considering though and I'd have a bash at one that's for sure.

The polished lips on Volk wheels are anodised from the factory, just an FYI :)

Very B)

You really are a busy man these days Ian :thumbs:

I'm trying :lol:

Believe it or not but to build this spacer requires 5 suppliers in which to create the end product :scare:

Can't you just make a cut out from a cornflake box?

:lol:

Are you bored Peter :boxing:

I don't believe you can clear anodise as its a dye that's included into the electro process.

Just FYI, we have some lightweight brackets here that are clear anodised, so must be possible somehow I guess? :thumbs:

Interesting. The only issue being is the Anodising process is only a coating which is only a small amount of Microns thick. I would guess it would be possible to polish off the anodising. Something worth considering though and I'd have a bash at one that's for sure.

The polished lips on Volk wheels are anodised from the factory, just an FYI :)

Interesting, I actually totally forgot to ask when I was there today. Although when I take the sample Alu down next week I'll ask what they can do. Polished and Anonodised would look B)

Very B)

You really are a busy man these days Ian :thumbs:

I'm trying :lol:

Believe it or not but to build this spacer requires 5 suppliers in which to create the end product :scare:

Can't you just make a cut out from a cornflake box?

:lol:

Are you bored Peter :boxing:

We used to make gaskets for our Motorbikes out of them yonks ago so i just wondered if you got enough of them bonded together would it work?

I have my brainiac head on tonight. I could take on a 10 yearold lol!

List updated :thumbs:

Had a few issues with the supply of gaskets, after looking at the plenum, getting quotes they then spring it on me I'd need to purchase 200 gaskets from them :rant: so I'm now on the hunt for another supplier.

The spacers for the plenum and strut wanted a fortune so again I'll be looking at other companies, they weren't perfect for the Job anyway, as they were more focused with metal cutting than plastic fabrication for the plenum spacer feet.

So back on the trail for 2 new suppliers.

I should receive the sample Aluminium early next week to get a test on the anodising colours and will post up pics hopefully this week coming.

*Latest update*

Sample pieces of Alu received today from supplier and laser cutter.

So either tomorrow or Monday down to the Anodisers for a blast in 4 colours. I'll not sample the black, as black is back. But for sure ill see about cutting one sample in two to get a feel of their Purple tones.

02276E2F-7A09-4190-B691-A933A5659F3E-3993-000001FE31CD3A28.jpg

I'm guessing that this must be a really stupid question with an obvious answer as no one has asked it yet but here goes...

Is this something that could be done to the plenum itself instead of painting/polishing? :shrug:

The plenum is aluminium so it wouldn't be an issue. Not sure of the physics internally what issues it would cause. What I mean by internally is the surface within the plenum chamber. I'm aware the design of the lower plenum is specifically designed to promote air flow. Would anodising the interior of the plenum cause an issue I couldn't say.

Unless there is a way to anodise that only of the exterior of the plenum?

I'm guessing that this must be a really stupid question with an obvious answer as no one has asked it yet but here goes...

Is this something that could be done to the plenum itself instead of painting/polishing? :shrug:

The plenum is aluminium so it wouldn't be an issue. Not sure of the physics internally what issues it would cause. What I mean by internally is the surface within the plenum chamber. I'm aware the design of the lower plenum is specifically designed to promote air flow. Would anodising the interior of the plenum cause an issue I couldn't say.

Unless there is a way to anodise that only of the exterior of the plenum?

Phew! Maybe not such a silly question then!

As its only a surface treatment I can't imagine it would cause any problems because your not physically altering dimensions within the plenum :shrug:

Food for thought for those wanting something different

Next question is who's brave enough to try ;)

Agreed it is only a coating, but if the coating created a smoothing effect it could potentially change the air flow dynamics. I'm guessing of course.

The only other issue in which to create a perfect anodised exterior, would be the need to polish the exterior before anodising otherwise it would look naff.

It's an option and something I may offer after the polishing of a plenum ;)

Aluminium samples polished this evening ready for the anodisers on Monday.

C1D60E5B-6969-4FFB-B4F1-0D7FBB1AD151-7117-0000035A172E05A1.jpg

I showed my other half the one on the right and she said "oooh shiny"

That's when I showed her the one on the left and saw her jaw drop!

Interested in a blue one. When do you think they will be available?

Added to the list :thumbs:

Timescales are a little unknown at the moment.

The anodised samples will be given to the supplier tomorrow. The newly sourced gasket company is yet to come back with a price, and the plastic feet for the plenum will be priced at a new supplier Tuesday.

Once I've obtained the quotes, collated them all and worked out the best price, I can then publish the firm price to you guys. I would say tops 2 weeks for the price, then we can get the ball rolling. Actual completion could be 2 weeks thereafter, but will confirm once all the relevant quotes and prices are provided.

Just to give you an idea Wasso, this is my purple

20120909_135846.jpg

No problem, that's quite a dark purple, but at least a guide of where we need to head. :thumbs:

Okay, latest update.

Gaskets have been quoted and can be produced.

The spacer feet are still awaiting quotation along with the strut feet.

The Alu samples are as we speak being anodised.

Now in terms of timescales I have the following.

Alu spacer – 10 days

Gaskets – 21 days

So I’m hoping that I can collate all quotations and work out the best price achievable, which will be....

A: Cheaper than other suppliers

B: The same quality as other suppliers (if not better believe it or not)

C: Better looking

I’m hoping by the end of the this week that I can provide all the necessary timescales, pricing and delivery.

If anyone else is interested please let me know :thumbs: