Blue smoke

timmytuck

No it was number two that was wet, and I some how managed to connect number 4 and 6 lead plugs the wrong way round :bang: when putting back together (school boy error ) soon fixed but now have the engine management light on :doh:

It`s known as a BENNET **** up ;)

Hi guys compression test done 195 psi on all cylinders , any ideas what it should be? I did it myself with my mates kit, he said there's nothing wrong with that.

When I took the spark plugs out I noticed one of them was wet so I'm hoping it's a dodgy plug.

Going to change the oil and the one plug now as a matter of course.

Your 195 psi is only the compression of the engine and has nothing to do with oil consumption.

If you wish to carry out a compression check to establish if there is any bore or oil control ring issues then a wet check may help you pinpoint the problem.

However it may be something other than worn oil control rings, perhaps valve stem oil seals.

I would get a pair of cats back on it and slightly different oil viscosity and take it from there.

Alex :)

No it was number two that was wet, and I some how managed to connect number 4 and 6 lead plugs the wrong way round :bang: when putting back together (school boy error ) soon fixed but now have the engine management light on :doh:

It`s known as a BENNET **** up ;)

Ha ha BRILLIANT! :clap:

Would have saved us 2 hours had they been put back correctly :lol:

Lights out, but the smoke is very visible worse than last week so rebuild its is.

Can you do the rings from the bottom end on the zed ? If so any ideas how long it would take.

I'm thinking of my options at the moment ,if the engines got to come out then I'm considering going all the way and having some turbos or a supercharger fitted.

Hi mate engine out job but it's no big deal not that hard FI ;)

+1

I may know of a nice set of high comp (11:1) Cosworth pistons and rings going at a good price if that floats ya boat?

Wot, no pics :shrug: Can't believe you missed an opportunity :snack:;)

Hi mate engine out job but it's no big deal not that hard FI ;)

+1

I may know of a nice set of high comp (11:1) Cosworth pistons and rings going at a good price if that floats ya boat?

I know its a long shot but could it be the pcv valve ?

A long shot, you would need an increase in crank case pressure to make constant blue smoke, you could try a catch can to see if it reduces it. but could end up covering up a more serious problem

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/small-oil-cat ... 2321c155a1

CatchCanJPG4.jpg

I installed mine when going SC, I used to get a small amount of blue smoke on cold startup but none when running the car hot or hard.

After the catch can installation & a plenum clean I never have any blue smoke, just a little black (fuel) when near the limiter & 400 odd hp :teeth:

Thanks Darren will have a look tonight.

I have been looking at various sites on this problem and apparently Nissan have been replacing engines,and have recognised a problem with this engine from 2004 and 2006 !

On closer inspection ,and boy have I spent to much time looking at that exhaust :yuck: the smoke appears to be more of a grey colour very heavy on start up but nearly goes after warmed up .

• 3 months later...

No you do not have to remove the front panel to remove the engine.

However it is much easier to remove the front panel etc and remove the engine and gearbox as one with the loom all still attached to the engine by disconnecting the loom at the ECU and pulling it through.

You also have the option of dropping the engine complete with the x/member and suspension.

Good luck:

Alex. :)