Blue smoke

timmytuck

Hi all

I only use my z for weekends and have just noticed smoke (blue ish) coming out the back mainly on the left side and is also staining the bumper.

It has recently had decats up rev and plenum spacer new plugs and oil. It's my pride and joy and is well looked after feel a bit worried don't want to think about piston rings or rebuild its only done 54000 miles any suggestions would be appreciated. :scare:

blue smoke generally means oil being burnt, white smoke is usually water.

red smoke means someone stucka flare up your exhaust :lol:

might just be the decats and everything settling in. when was the last time you checked the oil level? what is the oil level? is it less than when you last checked?

this first simple tests tell you if your car is using oil. if it is the next thing to work out is where is the oil going.

oil can be used up just through engine wear, so don;t suddenly panic, might mean you need to run a thicker oil.

if it is using oil i would suggest a compression test. it will tell you if the cylinders are holding compression and if not which cylinders. this might be due to wear of the seals. this would mean oil is coming up from the sump and being burnt in the combustion process.

Now I'm very worried, it's at the bottom of the dipstick again!!

top up with oil, think it needs about 2/3 of a litre maybe half a litre to take it from the bottom mark to the top mark. the dipstick is not the easiest to read.

once you have a top mark reading, take a mileage reading and then check to see how much it uses over how many miles. i.e. is it using 1 litre every 500miles 1000 miles 2000 miles.

preferably get it to a good independent to do the checks.

Can anyone suggest a good independent in the midlands area ?

Horsham and abbey are to far.

I'll get a compression test done ASAP.

Started it up this morning and no smoke but when I gased it you could see a whisk of smoke

And it smelled like oil,never used to be like that.

if it was me i'd be going down to AME near silverstone, great perofrmance garage superb service, these guys know engines and they know the zed, they are doing keysers engine, they work on husky's GT4 and i've never heard complaints about them.

it could be the decats

In what way?

cats tend to catch/filter alot of stuff coming out that you wouldn't normally see, you sometimes get small bits of smoke whith new exhaust parts as they bed in and coke up. depends on how much smoke he is getting. if its continous and heavy then yes i'd put it down to oil burning.

but if it was the odd whisp i'd say its exhaust parts bedding in.

My car smoked a bit, mainly when the engine was hot - pretty sure its the rings. Compression was good and it makes good power. I "fixed" it by running a thicker oil and fitting an oil cooler. Obvioulsy not a real solution but oil consumption has stopped and it buys me a little more time until it gets rebuilt.

I'm going to change the oil and filter as well tomorrow what would you recommend ?

By the way having no cats is fun for a while but it's starting to wear a bit thin now :band:

get rid of the chav pipes and put some HFC's in :thumbs:

if you want thicjer oil try 10w30 or 10w40 could possibly go thicker ask jez at horsham what he changed too ;)

Hi guys compression test done 195 psi on all cylinders , any ideas what it should be? I did it myself with my mates kit, he said there's nothing wrong with that.

When I took the spark plugs out I noticed one of them was wet so I'm hoping it's a dodgy plug.

Going to change the oil and the one plug now as a matter of course.

Hi guys compression test done 195 psi on all cylinders , any ideas what it should be? I did it myself with my mates kit, he said there's nothing wrong with that.

When I took the spark plugs out I noticed one of them was wet so I'm hoping it's a dodgy plug.

Going to change the oil and the one plug now as a matter of course.

Was it number 6 that was wet?