2005 (or earlier) or 2007 model?

Amin

Hi All,

Apologies in advance as this has probably been asked a million times before but as someone that is looking to join the 350z club, I would appreciate your input and knowledge!

I'm looking at buying a 350z as a weekend toy. I was not intending to spend more than £8000 and pick up a low mileage 04 or 05 model of which there are many within my price range. One small problem, transmission. I test drove two (both with service history) and both had some weird rattling noise when changing gear. Another z owner on a different forum warned me to stay away from any pre 2007 z due to poorly designed syncros (whatever that means). First question is do you agree with this and what are the chances that if I pick up an older z, that sooner or later, the tranmission will give me an issue.

I was told that 07 (bonnet bulge) zeds did not have this issue but it looks like I will be spending in excess of GBP10k for this. I will bite the bullet if I have to and pick up a newer car but would like thoughts from those that have the older cars what the chances are of running into big issues are and whether I should cough up.

Thanks in advance!

The facelift 2006-2007 model had the new gearbox too. The majority of issues with gearbox's seem minor though and very rarely result in failure.

If you can afford the extra cash for a facelift car I would go for it but remember tax etc is in a higher band at around 475ish a year I think

some cars do have slightly poorly aligned syncro's but this usually disappears once the cars up to temp. the main gear box issue has been clutches.

the rattle could have been the thrust bearing or if its had a lightened flywheel put in these have been known to make noise. nowt wrong with the earlier ones.

The facelift 2006-2007 model had the new gearbox too. The majority of issues with gearbox's seem minor though and very rarely result in failure.

If you can afford the extra cash for a facelift car I would go for it but remember tax etc is in a higher band at around 475ish a year I think

By facelift model are you referring to the 300hp model? Also, does the higher tax apply to the facelift or for 2007 313 hp cars only?

Cheers.

By facelift model are you referring to the 300hp model? Also, does the higher tax apply to the facelift or for 2007 313 hp cars only?

Cheers.

Anything newer than 2006 has the higher tax bracket (465quid a year). The facelift came out in 2006 which improved the styling a bit, then Nissan completely redesigned the engine and made other improvements to the handling / steering etc in mid 2007 when they bought out the 313 model. The 313HR model actually has 309bhp and it kind of showed the max of what Nissan could do with the engine. The engine was 80% new, has improved cooling, has ram air through duel air intakes, 7500rpm rev limit compared to the 6500rpm limit the early cars had etc.. These cars have the bonnet bulge as despite the engine being mounted a lot lower in the chasis than the earlier cars to improve the cars handling, the engine is a bit taller than the old ones.

Everyone I know who has driven the older zeds and then the 313 model says its like night and day. Id definitely try and go for one if you can afford it. They are coming down in price now. I had a look yesterday and there were some nice ones on autotrader for £9500.

As for the transmission reviews, yes they can be clunky/noisy but very rarely go pop.

If you can afford a 313 I would go for it but a 276 isn't as bad as what you have been told. Has the most torque too ;)

If you can afford a 313 I would go for it but a 276 isn't as bad as what you have been told. Has the most torque too ;)

Yep it does... just!

The figures are:

Early ones: 276bhp / 268lb ft

The "300" models: 295bhp / 260lb ft

The "313 HR" models: 309bhp / 264lb ft

Yep it does... just!

The figures are:

Early ones: 276bhp / 268lb ft

The "300" models: 295bhp / 260lb ft

The "313 HR" models: 309bhp / 264lb ft

Every little helps :D

With the 276 you are also missing a few little things too, like being able to wind windows up/down by holding down buttons on the remote, or setting the remote to open both doors at once. Also on later models the little cubby with or without the satnav can have a motorised lid, my 05 doesnt

My 05 also didnt come with a 4 button remote, but its possible it originally had one and the previous owner lost it

Tbh had i known about them id still have gone for the cheaper 276 model as its still significantly faster than my last car and i didnt fancy the higher tax each year. 37 extra HP wasnt justified in spending 3-4k more on the car and £200 more each year. A low mileage 05 is good bang for buck

Off topic but how do you open the windows with the key? I've tried holding down the unlock buttons but doesn't do much

I'm not aware you can with UK spec ZEDs (including the 370's) - yes the universal manuals say that but in practice on this side of the pond - no :shrug:

Thanks for all your help so far guys. I have found two 350's which I hope to see tomorrow:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3808884.htm

So the choice is a 2007 with higher mileage vs an older car with less miles and recent servicing. What do you think? In addition, there are various issues I have found after HPI checks-

The 2007 model has outstanding finance which the owner did bring up once I told him I was doing a check. He said he would pay off the finance before any money was paid for the car. Does anyone know what the process is for this sort of arrangement and should I be suspicious?

The 2005 car has had its number plate changed 3 times (twice in 2011). Is there any reason why a number plate would change so many times? Just seems odd to me...

Thanks for all your help so far guys. I have found two 350's which I hope to see tomorrow:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3808884.htm

So the choice is a 2007 with higher mileage vs an older car with less miles and recent servicing. What do you think? In addition, there are various issues I have found after HPI checks-

The 2007 model has outstanding finance which the owner did bring up once I told him I was doing a check. He said he would pay off the finance before any money was paid for the car. Does anyone know what the process is for this sort of arrangement and should I be suspicious?

The 2005 car has had its number plate changed 3 times (twice in 2011). Is there any reason why a number plate would change so many times? Just seems odd to me...

number plate changes would be for the reason. i.e. private plates. its a gt car so a popular vehicle for a private plate. still think coldels car is possibly one of the nicest on the forum. and for sale ;)