Best ways to make my Z a corner king...On a budget

2222Piggy

Im going to the nurburgring at the end of next month with a few friends. Im taking the Z, theres 2 VW Polo GTI's going, both circa 230-240bhp (Mighty quick things) and a few others

Theres a prize for the fastest lap, and i want it :#1:

I know straight line speed isnt my forte, so i want the corners to make that up

Any ideas, links welcome

Ive had a quick seach but cannot find anything definitive

I'll get the obvious out of the way first: Pushing on the Ring like that is the quickest way to bin it, and don't forget you're not insured on it either.

To answer your question, best thing you could do is to slap a set of R888s on the car. The Ring isn't hard on brakes so the standard Brembo setup will be fine, and as you say chasing power is pointless. The tyres will make a massive amount of difference, best bang for your buck by far. :)

things to make the zed better in the corners

0. get some driver training; so you can use ever once of the car

1. make sure it has the best tyres you can afford, preferably MPS2 or similiar r888 even better

2. make sure the geo on the car is setup for best performance, places like DMS and abbey should be able to set the car up to your liking.

3. if you have the money, get a decent set of coilovers before you do the geo setup.

4. really good discs and pads, and decent brake fluid. you want to be able to brake late and hard, without fade.

5. make it lighter take any crap out you don't need, if you have no passenger take the pax seat out.

6. make sure your on 99 ron or more fuel

7. for shear fluke try an octane booster in there as well.

8.you could spend big money, and go for light forged wheels, and nuts to reduce unsprung weight, but it all starts getting silly money for little gain.

9. there is body stiffening products from summit. will help it corner better

to be honest the first 3 should make the most impact

We are well informed of the lack of insurance on the ring :thumbdown: As we wont be racing each other at the same time, we are just going to be cautious and sensible

Are the R888's really THAT good? I would be driving down on them too so i suppose that would make them a little more worn :scare:

a really good geo setup should be on the list

Can you expand a little? I can rebuild engines...but this side of things baffles me :surrender:

you need a company with something like a hawkeye laser or similiar. i have a place near me, who have the equipment but also the know how to set the car up perfectly.

this explains it pretty clearly

http://www.rapid-racer.com/suspension-tuning.php

http://www.obpltd.com/wordpress/?p=148

Are the R888's really THAT good? I would be driving down on them too so i suppose that would make them a little more worn :scare:

Oh dear god yes. They'd be worth the equivalent of another 30-50bhp, and you'll easily get there, track and back on a set and then some. Amazing things.

Oh dear god yes. They'd be worth the equivalent of another 30-50bhp, and you'll easily get there, track and back on a set and then some. Amazing things.

they stick like sh1t to a bears arse :lol:

where in the UK are you;

if your down in suffolk i'd send you to Team AFM they build and set up race cars

if your near london depends where i'd say DMS don't know if abbey to geo.

price near me is about £70

price i paid at DMS was £120

You'll have to get the R888s in 40 profile as they don't do them in 45, but as you'll have TCS off anyway there'll be no noticeable difference. Well, other than a f*ckton of grip and your speedo will overread slightly.

Or is it underread? One or the other, anyway. :)

Running a N/A 350Z at the ring as a beginner I would start with the following.

Decent tyres: R888 or similar, providing it is not peeing it down.

Eibach sway bars front and rear (anti roll bars)

RBF 600/660 brake fluid and a set of braided lines

Full geometry check and adjust:

Some CAT driver training.

R888s, Eibach sways, 600/660 fluids and lines all in stock and good to go same/next day. :thumbs:

Drop me a PM if I can help you further:

Alex :)

Im from the Leeds/Bradford Area regarding the geo setup

Ive just been looking at the R888's, nearly 1000 sheets for the full set;

Surely i could pick up some used coilovers for around that? Would they not be more beneficial?

Thanks for your advice

Im from the Leeds/Bradford Area regarding the geo setup

Ive just been looking at the R888's, nearly 1000 sheets for the full set;

Surely i could pick up some used coilovers for around that? Would they not be more beneficial?

Thanks for your advice

you can get BC coilovers for about half that new i think about £600 maybe less.

you might be able to get some part worns R888's

if it was me i'd take a trip down to these guys http://www.centergravity.co.uk they are based in warwicksire so not to far to go but well worth it. they do alot for the S2000 boys

Stock suspension is fine, you'll go much quicker with the tyres. Been there, done that.

Chris at CG is amazing, he got my 911 working beautifully, but probably overkill for a relatively stock Zed. Still, if you have £300 spare it really is a bargain, even at that price. He'll be quite booked up this time of year, but if you're flexible he might be able to squeeze you in. Didn't realise he did Jap stuff too.

Thanks for all of the insight

I think that by what people are saying, i am going to try and find a set of part worn R888's as a full set is far too costly for what i am using them for.

I am also going to get the car set up properly as mentioned in the above posts

Also, ive been looking at the coilover side of things. Can somebody advise me further on this? I found that my z is the best handling car i have driven and the standard setup is brilliant. How would coilovers help more?

Is there a section regarding nurburgring lap times on here :p

I'm surprised no one has mentioned suspension bushes yet. How old and worn are yours? Might be worth getting them replaced upgraded and you'll get the benefit in the long term as well.

I remember hearing this before. Whiteline bushes or something like that ? Zmanalex sells them Doesnt he......supposed to be very good.