How much are cat D Z's worth? New buyer... help!!

Yella Fella

I'm looking at a 55 plate Nismo kitted Z as advertised

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... 1b1/page/2

I'm about to do a full inspection check on it, when talking to him it all seems fine. I questioned about the low miles for a 55 plate and he mentioned that there was an engine replacement.

Did an HPI check and it came up as written off Cat D which he had failed to mentioned, but not sure exactly how much they should be as a Cat D.

Is it worth going for one, as people seem to be a bit more edgy about buying one. Spoke to a few insurers and they are happy with Cat D, Cat C more of a no go area they said.

Does it belong to anyone on here?

Actually not sure he knows as he said it was done by the previous owner, but he says he has all the paperwork with regards to this.

But not sure what else I need to look for, the reg and kit is exactly what I'm looking for. Does Cat D get mentioned on the V5 docs or only via DVLA and when you do HPI checks?

Anyone done the RAC/AA full inspection checks before (almost £285!!), surely that will pick up any issues?

It's much better, and cheaper if you can get a forum member near to the car to have a look for you if they have the time. The RAC/AA will look at general mechanical/structural things but not for 350z specific things. If you have a good read of the buyers guide on here and take a mechanic friend or see if someone on the forum would go along with you for a nose.

Buyers Guide - viewtopic.php?f=17&t=23843

Nothing wrong with a repaired car - so long as its been done properly. I'd hope to see documentation - a pic of the damage and receipts detailing the work done (dated around the time of the incident). The bodykit on this one may cover up nasties.

Usual rule of thumb is that a recorded car is worth 10-20% less than an equivalent unrecorded car, and bear in mind it will be more difficult to sell on.

There's lots of cars out there that have had big repairs paid for by insurance companies / individuals- these go unrecorded so a recorded car is as good as any used car IMO, its just you know for a fact something happened to it. If you want a car that you are 100% sure has never been damaged - buy a new one - however even then they do get damaged sometimes before hitting the forecourt!

If the seller is honest here and it it was recorded due to engine damage - this may turn out to be 'better' than an unrecorded car as you may be getting a lower miles engine.

With any used car make sure you do a thorough inspection and treat each on its merits.

Thanks guys, yeah of on my friends from the SXOC is checking it out tonight for me as its a 600m round trip otherwise! Read the new buyers guide, main thing I'm wanting him to notice is the rear axle... that literally is a clicking sound from idle/driving off?

I saw another seller who has fixed the front lower suspension arms, apparently a known issue aka banana arms?

If say the uneven tyre wear is evident as well as the axle clicking etc, what costs are we looking at getting these fixed in general? Cheers.

I was just saying how much of a bargain this is in another thread, but seeing as it's a Cat D, it's about right. It all depends on what happened, if the engine blew when the car was pretty young they have have just had to replace the block so nothing else has been touched. It's also possible that whoever owned it at the time saw this as an opportunity to get the kit fitted on the cheap with the same garage that was doing the engine.

Is there anyway to find out who all previous owners were since moving to the new V5's that don't list them?

We've agreed on sale for it, my mate checked it out last night, said there's general cosmetic issues that needs cleaning up, scruffs, dints etc... but mechanically amazing.

Lot of paperwork, issue with it being a Cat D was the engine died. The service books etc all show that the new engine was put in and mileage put back to what it was prior to change, so technically all new.

I'm really not bothered with it being a Cat D, it didn't make a mark on my insurance quotes with A-Plan at £510, its still cheaper than my Integra DC5 and that was £750 last year!!

Knowing my luck, a proper modified Z will come up for sale next month! Just means I got to save up inbetween to get my bits and bobs for the car now

issue with it being a Cat D was the engine died. The service books etc all show that the new engine was put in and mileage put back to what it was prior to change, so technically all new.

I'm confused.The reason for it being a cat D is that the engine died?Insurers dont pay out for a dead engine and proclaim it a cat D.

There must have been an accident at some stage.

Be careful.

issue with it being a Cat D was the engine died. The service books etc all show that the new engine was put in and mileage put back to what it was prior to change, so technically all new.

I'm confused.The reason for it being a cat D is that the engine died?Insurers dont pay out for a dead engine and proclaim it a cat D.

Be careful.

It does depend why it died; if the previous owner drove it through a flooded road and hydro-locked it then insurance may well pay out on that but i don't know what CAT they would declare it as.

I do agree it's very unlikely though, i've never seen or heard of a CAT D due to engine damage so the 'be careful' definitely still stands.

DB

Be careful.

+1 be very careful.

I bought a cat D 07 full spec gt with sat nav and hr engine with only

9000 miles for £7500 repaired, I wouldn't say that 05 is priced very well at all, so far I've been very lucky with mine just ask for pics of the damage. What you need to remember is the 350z is a sorts car, one problem I did face was getting the geometry spot on, as allot of parts including the subframe are alluminium the slightest bend or twist can throw out everything, and as it only comes with very minor adjusters I could only get mine into spec with an adjustable rear camber and toe kit Whch cost £250! But I had no other option without having to replace everything as no one could see what was causing the problem.

In short answer do I regret my car? NO it's awesome but keep a good £300-£500 towards fixing niggly bits.

Be careful.

It does depend why it died; if the previous owner drove it through a flooded road and hydro-locked it then insurance may well pay out on that but i don't know what CAT they would declare it as.

i've never seen or heard of a CAT D due to engine damage so the 'be careful' definitely still stands.

DB

I agree this is possible but extremely unlikely.If the owner drove it through a flooded road and the engine died I would expect a total loss which means extensive damage thus being a Cat C.It would need a VIC check before being declared roadworthy unlike a cat D which can be repaired and sent straight back on the road (with an mot of course)

HPI check states that insurance didn't pay out, confused about al of that and what makes it a cat D. My only concern was is the car driving safe, is the engine fine etc

Think its worth getting RAC full inspection, will it pick up any issues around the cat D status?

HPI check states that insurance didn't pay out, confused about al of that and what makes it a cat D. My only concern was is the car driving safe, is the engine fine etc

Think its worth getting RAC full inspection, will it pick up any issues around the cat D status?

now I am really confused.The HPI states that insurance didn't pay out?Exactly Where on the hpi does it state this?

you still state the HPI states its a cat D?

I'd be thinking about resale value too. Hopefully not, but you may have to sell it again and people will walk away because of it.

As long as you set your price lower then it shouldn't be a problem, not going to be worth much in a few years anyway :shrug: .

I'd be thinking about resale value too. Hopefully not, but you may have to sell it again and people will walk away because of it.

As long as you set your price lower then it shouldn't be a problem, not going to be worth much in a few years anyway :shrug: .

Because its a cat D? So more or less everyone is worried about everything related to what could happen because a car is registered as a cat D? Ahhh well

Because its a cat D? So more or less everyone is worried about everything related to what could happen because a car is registered as a cat D? Ahhh well

No, I'm not saying that. I look at it like this, if you pay 9k for a Zed or 7k for a Cat D Zed, then they will obviously both depreciate. Let's say for arguments sake that you keep the 9K Zed for 3 years then when you come to sell it, it'll be worth say 6k, but the Cat D will be worth around 4k, so you'll lose around 1k per year no matter which car you go for. On the other hand, as the value of Zed's drop then once they reach a certain value, then Cat D's won't be as attractive to potential buyers. I have no problems with Cat D's but they do need to be checked out thoroughly before purchase.

With regard to engine damage, then an aqua lock is possible but there are other alternatives, for example, putting diesel in can seriously damage the engine, although I'm not sure if you could make an insurance claim for that:shrug: . Sabotage by a third party, well I should know about this as someone once put a bag of sugar in my petrol tank :angry:, but the Zed's tank is quite secure really.

Pete

Well it would be very difficult to put diesel in a petrol at the taps are bigger :-p, also I sold a cat c Crx that I made awesome for well above its book price, if anything if the car had the accident 5 years ago it just goes to show how good the repair was! Lol

There really isn't much wrong with CAD D cars. CAD D is the lowest accident bracket and these 350z's fall so easily in this bracket due to the price of parts. Headlights for example. Also CAD D means NO structural damage, for example no chassis damage.

Majority of times it will be panels, suspension and bumpers ect.

However the main reason people avoid them is because of the repair job. Some people do a botch up job. If you buy one make sure you see pictures of the damage and then inspect the vehicle.

Were air-bags deployed? This will give you a real feel for how bad the crash and impact was, even though the air bags can deploy very easily as well.

If the repair was professionally then there is no real reason for why the price should really be any lower than a normal car. It does not affect your insurance or anything. People are just scared and therefore avoid them. If the repair job was good, and the evidence is there, go for it! :thumbs: