Really want a HARLEY!

WINKJ

Hi Guys,

I know this isn't a car and therefore shouldn't be posted in 'other cars' ... but I got tired of looking for somewhere appropriate!

Right, I am 22, looking for my first bike, not wanting to kill myself I have been looking at some aggressive style sit up bikes rather than a 1000cc sports bike..

on a recent trip to Barca I saw a few young guys riding these around... its not your typical harley...

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/2011-Motorcycles/iron-883.html

whats everyones view on it? will it look silly in England as I wont be on an glorious US freeway?? is the M1 bit of a turn off?! :lol:

views welcomed!

James

First bike? Assuming you've done all the relevant tests and therefore have ridden a tiny 125cc for a number of hours, I still suggest you get something a damn sight lighter than a HD. Passing your test and heading straight for a HD (assuming you've either done your test over 2 years ago or done Direct Access) is kind of like passing your car test and buying a 2.5 ton lorry.

First bike? Assuming you've done all the relevant tests and therefore have ridden a tiny 125cc for a number of hours, I still suggest you get something a damn sight lighter than a HD. Passing your test and heading straight for a HD (assuming you've either done your test over 2 years ago or done Direct Access) is kind of like passing your car test and buying a 2.5 ton lorry.

haha - booked in for my DA... so it will be my first bike. The bike above is 250kg's so not as heavy as a norm HD as its smaller.

I have been reading a lot into this as it was my only concern.. (not being able to stand it up!). It also sits low to the floor and many reviews say its the perfect bike for smaller* guys :blush:. Im 5,10 so shouldn't be a big issue but I will def give it a test before I commit to anything.

cheers for the advice :thumbs:

Wet Weight for the Harley is 250kg.

An R6 is 190kg wet.

My Z1000 is 221kg wet with a full to the brim tank of fuel - considerably more with me on it! :blush::blush::lol:

So, the harley is heavy and would be a 'mare to manoeuvre when just passed your test but it's by no means impossible.

What would you be using it for?

haha - booked in for my DA... so it will be my first bike. The bike above is 250kg's so not as heavy as a norm HD as its smaller.

I have been reading a lot into this as it was my only concern.. (not being able to stand it up!). It also sits low to the floor and many reviews say its the perfect bike for smaller* guys :blush:. Im 5,10 so shouldn't be a big issue but I will def give it a test before I commit to anything.

I'm sure Jodi Marsh had one..... It's the 'girls' harley so you'd be fine! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm sure Jodi Marsh had one..... It's the 'girls' harley so you'd be fine! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

haha thanks for telling everyone Stew... really appreciate that one mate ;)

It would just be for fun, so a weekend bike (even though my z is a weekend car). the only use for it would just be to go out and ride....

my only other option would be a ducati monster 796. which is a completely different bike. If I struggle with the weight of the harley then I will have to get something more appropriate for a first bike... time will tell/I will beast the gym some more :thumbs:

It would just be for fun, so a weekend bike (even though my z is a weekend car). the only use for it would just be to go out and ride....

my only other option would be a ducati monster 796. which is a completely different bike. If I struggle with the weight of the harley then I will have to get something more appropriate for a first bike... time will tell/I will beast the gym some more :thumbs:

Jodie Marsh is a beast! :lol:

I think the Harley's a great looking bike, apparently they're not great to ride though. I love the Monster though and would definitely have one. My brother has just bought a 2012 Suzuki GSR which is a naked bike with a slightly de-tuned GSXR engine in it. Very tempted to boot the R6 for one.

Jodie Marsh is a beast! :lol:

I think the Harley's a great looking bike, apparently they're not great to ride though. I love the Monster though and would definitely have one. My brother has just bought a 2012 Suzuki GSR which is a naked bike with a slightly de-tuned GSXR engine in it. Very tempted to boot the R6 for one.

Nakeds are awesome!

I love mine.

All depends on what you want it for really. My old neighbour had a Harley. He was about 24stone and his wife was about the same. They were accountants but at the weekend would stick their leather jackets on, complete with tassles and go off pretending they were hells angels.

My mate got one after several years on sports bikes as he wanted something a bit more sedate, but ended up hating it.

For a first bike, most people would go for something a bit smaller, easier to handle and cheaper to insure. Something like a 250, or more commonly these days a 500 or 600. If you dont fancy the idea of a fast, quick handling sportsbike then something unfaired might be better, like the hornet 600, the ER5, the bandit 600 etc..

Im more into my sportsbikes personally, and currently have an R1, a ZXR750 and a VFR750 (which is more of a sports tourer). However, ive always fancied a buell lightning!

All depends on what you want it for really. My old neighbour had a Harley. He was about 24stone and his wife was about the same. They were accountants but at the weekend would stick their leather jackets on, complete with tassles and go off pretending they were hells angels.

My mate got one after several years on sports bikes as he wanted something a bit more sedate, but ended up hating it.

For a first bike, most people would go for something a bit smaller, easier to handle and cheaper to insure. Something like a 250, or more commonly these days a 500 or 600. If you dont fancy the idea of a fast, quick handling sportsbike then something unfaired might be better, like the hornet 600, the ER5, the bandit 600 etc..

Im more into my sportsbikes personally, and currently have an R1, a ZXR750 and a VFR750 (which is more of a sports tourer). However, ive always fancied a buell lightning!

@ALL Jodie Marsh is a professional body builder... so there you go! :lol:

ahh ok - I was planning the other way around, something more sedate rather than getting on a crotch rocket and stacking it! I have my z for speed B)

The only use I have for this bike is to get on it (not drop it as i wont be able to move) and ride... I live in charnwood so close to Rutland water and masses of countryside.

HOWEVER, if i find it is too heavy I will look into the monster and I also LOVE the buells.. shame they went bust ... :thumbdown:

Knowing next to nothing about bikes, wouldn't the weight of the thing and the effect it has on making manouvres more difficult be affected quite a bit by how much bulk the rider has to push/pull said bike with?

i.e. a rider weighting 10 stone trying to shift a 250 KG bike is going to have a harder time than say somebody weighin in at 20 stone who shifts 120 KG around with their legs every day?

Not that I am the slightest bit interested in a bike, although the thought of riding some big fat lazy bike across the states sounds appealing - but would probably still rather do it in some soft top car instead.

i.e. a rider weighting 10 stone trying to shift a 250 KG bike is going to have a harder time than say somebody weighin in at 20 stone who shifts 120 KG around with their legs every day?

I manage my bike fine so you might well have a point! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

It's a great bike, and a great bike to start into HD's due to the size/weight that you mentioned, I would just suggest getting a Honda Shadow or small engined Yamaha Dragstar for 6 months or so to get used to the way these bikes handle and ride. What are you going to do your test on/learn? Has to be over 400cc right? (don't have DA in N Ireland.)

Wet Weight for the Harley is 250kg.

An R6 is 190kg wet.

My Z1000 is 221kg wet with a full to the brim tank of fuel - considerably more with me on it! :blush::blush::lol:

So, the harley is heavy and would be a 'mare to manoeuvre when just passed your test but it's by no means impossible.

What would you be using it for?

I agree, it can be done, i'd just really hate to see the guy buying a brand spankers HD and ditch it on the way out of the dealer. It took me a few weeks to get used to the extra weight of my Ducati 749 compared to the 125kg racing bike that i'd previously been on and those are effectively the same type of bike, going from a lightish commuter style bike to an American cruiser would be pretty daunting in my opinion.

Best of luck OP :thumbs:

If it were my choice I would go for a Fat Bob B) (No pun intended Buster :lol: )

I have seen loads of different Harley's out here and they are cool B)

Mrs DoogyRev wants me to get my bike test done to get one :shrug: ........ 370 first me thinks :lol:

It took me a few weeks to get used to the extra weight of my Ducati 749 compared to the 125kg racing bike that i'd previously been on and those are effectively the same type of bike, going from a lightish commuter style bike to an American cruiser would be pretty daunting in my opinion.

Best of luck OP :thumbs:

Ducatis are (or always used to be) quite heavy. I remember getting off a zx6r onto a ducati 748SPS and that weighted a ton in comparison. You were also perched very high up, so getting knee down seemed to mean leaning over miles.

HD for first bike can be done. The aforementioned ex neighbours of mine, that was there very first bike. He passed his test and they went out and bought a harley. They loved it, used to tour all over europe on it.

thanks for all the advice/responses guys... I am in no rush to buy a bike as I am focussing on passing my test first.

I do have my heart set on the supersport iron... however I am taking all your points into consideration so I will definitely at least try out the monster and a couple of your recommendations too!

hopefully I will be able to deal with the HD... but if its too heavy for a first bike its too heavy...

I can be patient... as long as I still have my Z in the garage that is! B)

do yourself a favour and dont get a harley as a first bike. they can look cool and sound great but they are a pig to handle / ride and wont make your learning experience very enjoyable or easy. yes you will have passed your test and you may think thats all the learning you need to do but believe me you will continue to learn and make mistakes for a very long time after passing your test

i have ridden for years.... ZZR 600, Bandit 1200, Exup 1000, TL1000s (prob the most fun i have had on two / one wheel), ZX9r, and 2 different ZX12r (fastest i have ever been!) and have also had the pleasure and at the same time dissapointment of riding a Harley Fat Boy (Terminator bike) while in the states one year. dont get me wrong it was great! loads of noise burbling round town but as soon as you got it up to any speed or into any corner it was aweful to the point of being quite hard to ride) having spoken to a few guys that have ridden both they all say the same thing.

the advice above about getting something like a fazer 600 or the like for a first bike is spot on! the handling and the bikes manners will help you not hinder. also i hate to say this but you WILL drop your first bike at some point... it just will happen... prob better to drop an unfaired and possibly well crash protected and cheap to repair fazer 600 than a quite expensive to repair Hardly ableson

every year i toy with giving up the bikes... and every spring on my first ride out of the year i remember why i love em!

good luck and safe riding whatever you decide to get

I echo the comments about what a Harley is like to ride!

Some years ago I was visiting some friends who lived in San Francisco and thought I'd treat myself to hiring a Harley for a few days. I got a Sportster 883 (I suspect much the same model as you linked...) for 3 days and looked forwards to riding across the Golden Gate and hitting Highway 1.

And took it back after 2 hours.

The clutch was unbelievably heavy, the front brake the same but bleedin' useless anyway, the rear locked up as you thought about braking and for me the riding position was torture - all the weight on my bum.

I swapped it for a BMW R80 (I did say some years ago...) and then REALLY enjoyed myself.

Try before you buy but as SteveM says - you will drop your first bike. It's not 'if', it's 'when'. Been there, dropped first and second and - oh hang on a sec over nigh on 250,000 miles and a dozen bikes I think I've had a low speed or stationary 'moment' with most of 'em! It's usually a stone underfoot or diesel in a fuel station that are the culprits...

Surprisingly the most drop proof of all of mine was an ST1100 Pan which had built in crashbars covered by sacrificial plastic.

What ever you get, as Stew said, anything over 500cc or so will make the Zed seem slow...

Have fun - it's serious fun!