Crazy Malaysian car tax

HEADPHONES

My dad is in Malaysia and saw BMW Mini promoting their cars in a large shopping mall.

Mini Cooper was on display.

Price from $200,000 to $300,000 Malaysian

At $5 to a £ that's

£40-60k for a mini :scare:

Take into account the average wage working in a shopping mall is about £1/hr (and taking this as minimum wage as an arbitrary figure), in real terms that's like paying 5x the list price to a local.

You'd have to be mega wedged to pay £200k for a mini :scare::scare:

Import tax there is a biaatch :thumbdown:

My dad is in Malaysia and saw BMW Mini promoting their cars in a large shopping mall.

Mini Cooper was on display.

Price from $200,000 to $300,000 Malaysian

At $5 to a £ that's

£40-60k for a mini :scare:

Take into account the average wage working in a shopping mall is about £1/hr (and taking this as minimum wage as an arbitrary figure), in real terms that's like paying 5x the list price to a local.

You'd have to be mega wedged to pay £200k for a mini :scare::scare:

Import tax there is a biaatch :thumbdown:

Alot of countries are like that. Import tax is sometimes 100% and above. But usually this promotes growth of a internal car maker or Japanese cars are cheapish imported. Toyota mark X is cheaper than £15k in some countries, new that is.

Makes you realise why they all either drive nails, or modified cars over there! Thats REDICULOUS!

A few years back i spent a bit of time travelling round Asia, and I stumbled across a car show in Kuala Lumpur...

IMG_1102.jpg

IMG_1118.jpg

IMG_1126.jpg

IMG_1113.jpg

IMG_1127.jpg

IMG_1128.jpg

IMG_1129.jpg

IMG_1114.jpg

:bangin: (sorry for straying off topic a lil!!)

A lot of the guys i work with are from Indonesia, they pay 100%+ on car tax for an imported car, so it's actually cheaper for them to buy a jap car/local manufacturer and modify it to buggery than to buy an imported car. A friend got his whole car retrimmed in leather for $400. Good quality too!

It's the same in Vietnam, which is why there are so many scooters.

Only the really rich can afford the 80% import tax... And it's not like new cars are cheap. They also have a law that prevents any cars older than 5 years being imported, so you can't just get an old banger.

They should do something like that here, only put the tax on cars that aren't made in the UK. So a family could buy an Astra or a Qashqai, a Rangie if you wanted a bit more room, or an Aston or Lotus if you wanted something fun. Could improve the economy over here without reducing choice too much, and let's face it if you can afford a brand new car then paying a bit extra won't hurt the coffers too much. I'm not talking about a silly tax like the above, maybe just a couple of percent. Might also make other manufacturers move production here if it made a noticeable difference to sales figures.

Sadly it's probably illegal under EU laws. :(

They should do something like that here, only put the tax on cars that aren't made in the UK. So a family could buy an Astra or a Qashqai, a Rangie if you wanted a bit more room, or an Aston or Lotus if you wanted something fun. Could improve the economy over here without reducing choice too much, and let's face it if you can afford a brand new car then paying a bit extra won't hurt the coffers too much. I'm not talking about a silly tax like the above, maybe just a couple of percent. Might also make other manufacturers move production here if it made a noticeable difference to sales figures.

Could probably do it for cars made in the EU though.....

Could probably do it for cars made in the EU though.....

There is already an import tax on cars from outside the EU, not sure how much but its defiantly there, hence why Jap cars are so much cheaper in Japan compared to Europe. What happens in some countries with protectionist tax policies is madness though, essentially Proton is government owned, much in the same way as British Leyland was and we all known what great cars British Leyland use to make :wacko:.

Competition is a good thing, it makes people innovate and work harder...Jag/Range rover are now doing well because they are making products the rest of the world wants to buy, not because every one in the UK is buying one. If import taxes were lower in other countries no doubt Jag/Range rover would do even better, be able to employ more people....but if the UK/EU puts up import taxes to "protect" local jobs than other countries would do the same and as a result the company would most likely loss world wide sales and than have to shut down factories here in the UK, hence your original plan to "protect" local jobs than backfires and everyone loses out.....

No-one's talking about import taxes though. I'm talking about a tax direct on the showroom price, paid for by the end user. If a car is made in the UK it costs you £500 less than a car made abroad, that kind of thing.

No-one's talking about import taxes though. I'm talking about a tax direct on the showroom price, paid for by the end user. If a car is made in the UK it costs you £500 less than a car made abroad, that kind of thing.

Politicians aren't that clever!

In some Asian Countries cars over a certain age have to be scraped, even if they ars in excellent condition :surrender:

This ain't the case in Malaysia.......don't even need an MOT :lol:

With over 300% tax on Beemers and Jap performance cars the 2nd hand values are sky high too.

A few years back my cousin over there rolled his dad's 330i saloon wrecking every panel and all 4 alloys. All air bags deployed and he was unscathed. Insurance company wouldn't write it off despite my uncle arguing that it was a ball of scrap. THEY FIXED IT AND RETURNED IT TO HIM :scare: .

He said it never felt the same so sold it on.

So sad in the UK by comparison where some genuinely good cars get written off for what appears to be minor fender benders due to price of parts exceeding the threshold of the respective 2nd hand value :surrender:

• 3 weeks later...

I just got back from 4 years in Malaysia. The 370z came out while I was there - i used to drool over it every weekend as they displayed one in the local shopping mall.

The price: 377,000 RM = 77,000 GBP!

Massive tax on cars that are imported, then even big tax on cars that are "locally assembled". The only cheap ones are the true locally made. Protons. And they are s****.

12 year car loans had just been introduced when i got there!

They should do something like that here,

have you been to france?

theres a reason 9 out of 10 cars in france are french, its because they make it financially favourable to buy frnech out there, and they bump up the tax foriegn cars ;) same with lots of other produce as well ;)