Rorty exhaust note on cold start for about 15 secs

doctor austin

Just wondered if anyone else with a 370 has this, not that its a problem just curious. On a cold start the exhaust note is decidedly rorty for about 15 seconds, then it quietens down to a smooth even fast idle. I have no leaks and the noise comes out of the exit pipes rather than a leak etc. I imagine its the engine management.. as I said no issue and the cars only done 12,000 miles etc and running a standard exhaust sytem....just wondering.

Its not the fast idle its the rorty note ...just for the first 15 seconds..sounds a bit like the bafles are missing then it quietens down... my 350 didn't do this......but from the earlier comment from will370z it may well be a Idiosyncrasy with the 370 engine management.

its all to do with the variable lift/variable cam timing and cold start map. Once the car has been running a short time and warmed up it revert sback to the normal running map.

And with a valet parking map on retricting the rpm it certainly does sound like there is soemthing very big under the bonnet warming up, eh Mark ;):lol: