Auto vs manual?

parajack

So which is the easiest to live with and which is more desirable? (Most driving will be in and around town).

Also, from a "has the owner before me screwed it all the time" view, is getting an auto less likely to have problems than a manual....hope you understand where I'm coming from?!?! but what I mean is with an manual someone could hit the rev limiter all the time, in an auto you can't...or I'm I way off the track here?

oh oh - another auto v manual thread - runs and hides :lol:

As regards the longevity it will all boil down to just how brutal a driver has been, but one thing we have have come to learn about the HR engines is that are pretty bullet proof and can easily cope with well in excess of 500bhp irrespective of the fact the rev-limiter is there to help ensure reliability.

I would hazard a guess that if an auto goes wrong and needs major parts it will be a lot more expensive to put right :shrug:

but manual is best

:D

Auto - for girls

Manual - for REAL men

:teeth:

Seriously though, there was an interesting article in a recent Evo, where a long term tester in a manual tried an auto, dreaded it, but in fact was impressed by the speed & smoothness of gear-change, but was pleased to have his 'sluggish' manual back (obviously a REAL man ;) )

I've tried both as I had an auto coupe for a week as a courtesy car (gave it a good run on the August Welsh weekend) and now i have a manual roadster.

For me personally i really did not get on with the auto. Too many gears and it wouldnt change when i wanted. I found there was too much of a delay in the paddle gear shift as well. Took away a lot of the fun and really didnt like it.

In all honesty the auto combined with absolutely no noise from the stock exhaust really put me off the 370. That was until i kept seeing GUNS at all the meets and i tried again with a proper gearbox and exhaust and fell for it big time

Ive got a triptronic, I think its great as generally im going or coming to work. But when the feeling takes me sport sharpens it up or triptronic is great on the b roads. I actually hate driving manuals now and my next car would probably be auto too.

This is an extract from my finding when I had the opportunity to test an auto version over a few days which included some spirited driving around some country roads:

More seriously, although I got to test an auto back in 2009 with Nissan at Silverstone, where downshifts were always expected before the corners and upshifts on exiting corners when the s/wheel would be near on straight ahead, on a winding road it is a whole different ball game with press-on driving and the need to react to the unexpected. Locking it into the paddle change mode rather than letting the full auto function take over meant that in a straight line it felt decidedly quicker than GUNs But when it came to the twisties the fact the paddles do not rotate with the wheel meant quite a bit of fumbling if you use the s/wheel 'racing style', such that entry in and out of corners was a lot slower for me and with extra dabs on the brakes for confidence. Guess its fine if you are s/wheel shuffler but somehow my need to take the left hand off the wheel for the downshifts or the right hand off for the upshifts in flowing corners felt so awkward. And of course the gear ratios of the 7-speed auto are quite different and I found 2nd was so low that corners normally taken in GUNs in that gear left the auto screaming for a change to 3rd......

OK, so auto owners might say with a manual you need to take your left hand off to change gear anyway, but I found the the need to remove my right hand as well from the s/wheel just felt wrong.

I know there are some performance cars out there where the auto option is set up and works as well if not better than the manual. But on the 370 the gearing, and the paddles not attached to the wheel (maybe larger paddles might work?), I'm afraid it isn't for me. :shrug:

"Auto - for girls

Manual - for REAL men"

:rant::rant::rant::angry::angry::angry:

I don't think so!!!!!

I've got biceps and I know how to use them! *

*Disclaimer - as pointed out on a previous thread I don't have hairy legs to go with my overly large biceps :lol::lol::lol:

"Auto - for girls

Manual - for REAL men"

:rant::rant::rant::angry::angry::angry:

I don't think so!!!!!

I've got biceps and I know how to use them! *

*Disclaimer - as pointed out on a previous thread I don't have hairy legs to go with my overly large biceps :lol::lol::lol:

:lol:

• 2 years later...

Yep :blush:

But in my defence the technology in the AMG has upped the game and the sport mode (which brings the exhaust alive along with the 'manual' paddle option) allows you switch to paddle changes, but will then change back to auto when the next shift is detected and you haven't done that so that on roundabouts for example it's quite handy to leave the auto to sort it as there is only so far I can twist my arms round with the wheel :lol:. Opting for manual paddle changes means it stays in that right up to the rev limiter.....until I decide otherwise. Then there is also comfy/lazy/stop& start/petrol consumption mode which is the default setting at each start, but somehow that's not getting much use :teeth:

Nearly done enough miles to test the launch control :teeth:

But yes if I'm honest I miss my knob to play with in the twisties :surrender: