Tyres Help

pcw1982

I have a Honda Civic (57 reg) as my 'other' car, it needs new shoes and I was shocked at the prices I'm being quoted, about £550-600 for a set.

A bit of google work and I have found some for £230!

These are Westlake SV308 XL 225/45R17 W94, the recomended rating for the car are 225/45R17 Y91.

So my questions, does anyone know if getting W94 rated as opposed to Y91 makes much of a difference?

If it makles any difference I do approx 10k per miles year mainly local commuting for work etc with the odd longer run thrown in but not very often.

Any comments appreciated.

Cheers :thumbs:

The letter refers to the speed rating of the tyre, so you have to get a tyre rated higher than your cars top speed.

The load rating which the number refers to should be the same or higher, as this related to how much weight the tyres can take.

So those Westlake tyres are fine on the load index but not on the speed index. Kumho 39s are available from camskill at the correct load and speed rating for £280 delivered for a set of 4. Whether they will be any good is anybodies guess though, I'd tend to stick to recommendations from an owners forum.

Really?

W is rated for 168mph. Now, I don't know the OP's car in detail, but I'm fairly confident in saying that it won't be doing 168mph any time soon ;)

Those tyres will be fine. Well, they're utter cheapy garbage so will be horrible, but there's no other reason you shouldn't be able to run them if you want to.

BRIDGESTONE

BR S001 TL 91Y

Premium brand - Official F1 tyre supplier for 14 years

Size: 225/45YR17

Speed: Y

Load: 91

four tyres: £420.80

AVON

AV ZZ3 91Y >>

Our best selling premium brand - British manufacturing technology

Size: 225/45YR17

Speed: Y

Load: 91

four tyres: £372.40

:shrug:

personally I wouldn't feel safe putting a tyre on any car that was less than £100 but that's just me...

You'd love the tyres on my MX-5 then, £30 each :teeth:

There are always exceptions :p I meant a car for 'normal' road use i.e. commuting etc but of course again depends on power I wouldn't spend £400 on tyres for a 1ltr Micra for example :lol:

You'd love the tyres on my MX-5 then, £30 each :teeth:

You might come to regret saying that when you say all us ZED owners should be running around on PPS's @ around £200-£250 a corner :p:lol:

I expect the ones on the Porker & the Scooby are substantially better than the slicks on the MX-5 :stir:

W rated tyres will be fine but you want to make sure you get the load rating correct (the number before the speed rating).

Having owned a civic which i bought with westlakes fitted i cant advise you enough not to bother. Terrible tyre wet or dry.

kumhos however are a fine midrange tyre, would really be worth spending the little extra

I have just had a set of Michelin Sport 3's put on the company hack. Yes, they are expensive but what a difference. It is quite unbelievable. Buy Michelins..........did you hear me?..........BUY MICHELINS :lol::thumbs:

Thanks all, I was quote £630 at Kwik Fit for a set of Continental Sport, same was then £480 at my local Honda dealer, was came as quite shock they were cheaper, they are apparently the recommened tyre.

Thanks for input, I was thinking the cheap option might not be too wise, hence the question!

The Avon's sound good, as I said I don't do a lot of miles other than commuting at local speeds so should be fine.

As Ekona said i dont really get the speed rating, the lowest rating (Q) is 99mph, I get over that about about as often as Susan Boyle's looks are compared to Cheryl Cole's!

Obviously don't want the lowest rating but anything above 120 and I'm not sure the car could even do it!

Thanks again for help