HEL Brake Lines... Help Please! :(

Paddy78

Hi,

My car is currently in the garage having some new brakes and HEL Lines fitted. I thought that this was going to be a straightforward procedure, but I have just had a call saying that they will not fit the front lines as they are dangerous / MOT fail… They have said that because there are no brackets, that they chafe against the suspension.

They have fitted the short ones on the rear and were going to put the long on the front. They also mentioned that the rears were not ideal, but because there is not steering movement it would be ok?

Any advice / help greatly appreciated as I would like my car back for the weekend?

Cheers,

Paddy

Loads of people on here have fitted HKS and HEL brake lines no problem. The garage needs to use the clips that came with the brake lines to secure them to the inside of the wheel brackets out the way of the wheels.

Also, the OEM lines have screw in both ends, the HEL have a screw in one end and a loop and bolt the other end which attaches to the caliper. They will need to sand down the caliper area to make sure it is flat and flush against the bolt (you might have some corrosion there) so there is no leakage.

I had my local garage fit mine, and they also had to adapt/fur the lines. So they thought outside the box and made a suitable bracket for the lines.

Clearly the garage you have taken the car to are either anal or don't want to do the customer a favour.

Slip them a drink and say fit it and make it safe. It's not difficult for the garage unless they are lacking experience.

My HEL didn't have the clips either.

Basically the old lines have a purpose built bracket. When that is removed, there's technically nothing but the suspension leg to attach them to.

As Alex says get some P clips fit them in the old suspension bolt hole - done.

To be fair to the garage they just told me on the grounds of safety. They were missing the clips afterall. They have looked after my Zed very well so far and were recommended by a member on here who also takes their Zed there.

...it was more that they scoffed that new lines would improve breaking which I found concerning.

Yeah, it did strike me as a bit odd, but I think the guy is a proper old school mechanic... Oh well...

Incidentally, how are you finding the Black Diamond setup as this is what I went for?

My Hel lines came with clips. The older batches never.

But weren't the old batches 6 piece that connected to the OEM bracket with hardline?

Nope. The original kit came without clips which was highlighted to Hel and the newer batches came with clips. Ive had mines about a year and they came with clips.

• 2 years later...

sorry to hijack the old thread, but I came across the following issue, while trying to replace my OEM brake lines with new HEL ones - the thread, that goes to the Brembo caliper is much longer than on the stock line.. as a result, much of the thread is visible, even after tightening the line to the caliper... is this normal?

DSC_0751_zpsmvjhauuc.jpg

DSC_0745_zpsu9zva4hz.jpg

front caliper tightened - but thread still exposed

DSC_0748_zpszd9audig.jpg

rear caliper, the same situation

DSC_0752_zpsozm2hzlb.jpg