notchy gearbox and clutch issues

sparky370z

when in neutral there is a sort of very slight grinding noise. push the clutch down and it fades.!!!!

Just been in for first servgice and I got them to look at this, I think everyone is correct, I think it is just the nature of the car, must be as we all seem to have the problem., shame it is so noticeable.

Ok guys quick update for you all. I had the same slight knocking noise on my 370z and when I pressed the clutch down... the noise went away... yet when I let the clutch out it started again. It was more annoying than anything else. So I took it to Macklin motors Nissan who are the High performance center in Glasgow, it helped that I knew the mechanic but basically they said.. that the noise is not normal and I have just received the phone call that I am getting a complete new clutch kit and a new gear box. The car is a 2010 with 12.5k on the clock and I have never abused it. So please do not listen to Nissan when they say it is just a normal noise from the 370z as it clearly is not.

Anyway I am a happy boy as a new clutch and gearbox for me :yahoo::blush: Oh and all under warranty :yahoo:B)B)

Nice one jay :thumbs:

Hope they get that sorted, i certainly dont get any knocking noises but i can tell the gear box is agricultural much like the 350z

Well I just hope that this solves the noise as it will be very nice to have a new clutch and gearbox from nissan but a bloody disaster if the noise stays :lol:

GUNS now has a new gearbox (under warranty just before expiry).

Symptons were a vibration through the gear lever at high revs and what Motorline Nissan at Tunbridge Wells confirmed as an "uncharacteristic" noise.

On driving home I found the change into and out of 5th and 6th gears with the new box notchy or frankly less smooth than with he previous box. But first wanting a second opinion before I returned to Motorline I popped into Abbey Motorsport and after a test run with Charlie he agreed something was not right. Left him to have a look at the plate below the lever and he found the securing bolts could be adjusted and that immediately fixed the issue :yahoo:

So a big thank you to Motorline for supporting my concerns about the box, and also to Abbey for sorting out the gearchange without a prior appointment. :clap:

Reading a couple of the posts above about notchy 1st/2nd gear changes, has now made me wonder whether the plate adjustment might be answer given what Abbey found to cure what I was finding with the 5th/6th changes. :shrug:

Wow - this is all news to me...( but then I've only just started paying attention to the 370 posts on the board)

I'm saddened to see that this issue is raising its head with the 370s - I mean :shrug: there is 'agricultural' and then there is simply not fit for purpose! At least we now have evidence that it can be addressed under warranty but if its just replacement with like for like who is to say this will not simply happen again and again?

Colin, the fine tuning of the plate adjustment on the 370 only really effects 5th to 6th change.

Unfortunately there has not as yet been an upgrade to the 370 box, and as what Vik has said you will only be getting like for like.

Alex :)

All sounds normal to me too. The 1st to 2nd shift aught to improve with a warm gearbox, just change slowly whilst cold not beating the syncromesh. The noisy thrust bearing on the clutch is nothing to worry about but TBH I am a little surprised after such few miles, my 350 was a bit that way but that was after several years/mile worth of use. Personally I wouldn't get too concerned....and I would be very hesitant to take it to a garage in any case.