Euro 2012

LRF4N

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Richards isn't in because he refused to go on standby, preferring to go on holiday instead. Still want him in the team?

Not really no, again not a regular in his club team. It was a shame Kyle Walker injured his foot again last game at WHL, I was there and thought at the time that was bad for England :thumbdown:

To be fair he is not much of a better crosser than Johnson and is better going forward than defending but his pace usually gets him out of trouble if his positioning is suspect, he was a revelation at Spurs last season :#1:

Its not all that bad guys, look at France they hardly covered themselves in glory. Look at the Dutch!

I think we are hard to beat, given the lack of any real talent in the team what else are you meant to do? How else can you set the team up?

We topped the group, when everyone predicted us being on the plane tomorrow.

How else to set it up? Easy.

Terry should play left centre-back next to Cole like at Chelsea.

Jags should play right centre-back and Lescott move to right back getting rid of the ridiculous Johnson.

Parker and The Ox in front of the back four. Parker needs more energy next to him and The Ox can play this role. See game against Milan for proof.

Attacking midfield 3 of Gerrard, Walcott and Young. Send Milner home to avoid any more embarrassment.

Defoe up front.

Simples.

Do you actually watch football as that one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever read???

Lescott at right back?? (he's left footed)

Ox as a defensive midfielder?? (he's a winger who had one decent game in the middle)

Defoe as a lone striker?? (The shortest guy in the squad to win balls against 6' defenders on his own?)

Nothing like playing people out of position :lol:

1 - Best left back of all time? Maldini. Right-footed. To get the best out of Terry he should be on the left. It's a means to accommodate that move. And get rid of idiot boy Johnson.

2 - Who said the Ox was defending? We need pace hence bringing in the Ox, Walcott and Defoe. Wenger doesn't see him as a winger. I see his long-term position as a central player.

3 - Gerd Muller was tall wasn't he? Tevez? Greaves? Pele? All under 5' 9" I'd say. Defoe is a better goal-scorer than Rooney and he doesn't make me feel sick when he talks which helps

1) You really need have a word with your optician if you think Maldini was right footed :lol:

2) You said he would be in front of the back four aka defending!!

3) But none of them excelled as lone front men as your suggesting Defoe would.

Back to the drawing board or lay off the booze ;):lol:

1 - From Wikipedia:

Paolo Cesare Maldini (born 26 June 1968) is an Italian former footballer who played as a left or central defender, being adept with either foot although naturally right footed. He spent all 25 seasons of his career at Serie A club Milan, before retiring at the age of 41 in 2009, becoming a symbol and a legend of the club. During that period, he won the Champions League five times, as well as seven Serie A titles, one Coppa Italia, five Supercoppa Italiana, five European Super Cups, two Intercontinental Cups. He played for 14 years for the Italian national team, making his debut in 1988 before retiring in 2002 with 126 caps and four World Cup participations.

2 - Again, playing "in front of the back four" doesn't mean the Ox would be defending. Currently Gerrard plays "in front of the back four" but is restricted going forward by playing 4-4-2. Parker would naturally hold more with The Ox pushed on. It would actually pan out on the pitch (when attacking) but never described as such 2-3-2-3

Hart

Terry Jags

Cole, Parker, Lescott

The Ox, Gerrard

Walcott, Defoe, Young

Very easy then to defend by dropping back all the wider players to 4-1-4-1

Hart

Cole, Terry, Jags, Lescott

Parker

Walcott, The Ox, Gerrard, Young

Defoe

Will accept that if England did change and line up like this (in my dreams) Johnson would be back in for Lescott and if Rooney lost 2 stone, he'd fill in for Defoe.

3 - True. What I was trying to get across is that England need more pace, vision and flexibility. I think my team gives you that.

Where's the gin - I've got all day - don't start my new job until 12th August and currently on paid garden leave so bring it on................... :lol::lol::lol::thumbs:

Its not all that bad guys, look at France they hardly covered themselves in glory. Look at the Dutch!

I think we are hard to beat, given the lack of any real talent in the team what else are you meant to do? How else can you set the team up?

We topped the group, when everyone predicted us being on the plane tomorrow.

How else to set it up? Easy.

Terry should play left centre-back next to Cole like at Chelsea.

Jags should play right centre-back and Lescott move to right back getting rid of the ridiculous Johnson.

Parker and The Ox in front of the back four. Parker needs more energy next to him and The Ox can play this role. See game against Milan for proof.

Attacking midfield 3 of Gerrard, Walcott and Young. Send Milner home to avoid any more embarrassment.

Defoe up front.

Simples.

Do you actually watch football as that one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever read???

Lescott at right back?? (he's left footed)

Ox as a defensive midfielder?? (he's a winger who had one decent game in the middle)

Defoe as a lone striker?? (The shortest guy in the squad to win balls against 6' defenders on his own?)

Nothing like playing people out of position :lol:

1 - Best left back of all time? Maldini. Right-footed. To get the best out of Terry he should be on the left. It's a means to accommodate that move. And get rid of idiot boy Johnson.

2 - Who said the Ox was defending? We need pace hence bringing in the Ox, Walcott and Defoe. Wenger doesn't see him as a winger. I see his long-term position as a central player.

3 - Gerd Muller was tall wasn't he? Tevez? Greaves? Pele? All under 5' 9" I'd say. Defoe is a better goal-scorer than Rooney and he doesn't make me feel sick when he talks which helps

1) You really need have a word with your optician if you think Maldini was right footed :lol:

2) You said he would be in front of the back four aka defending!!

3) But none of them excelled as lone front men as your suggesting Defoe would.

Back to the drawing board or lay off the booze ;):lol:

Gerd Muller, the best out and out striker I've ever seen wasn't as short as he looked. At 5' 9.5" he was actually taller than his strike partners in the 1970 World Cup (Seeler 5'7") and in 1974 (Grabowski 5'9") . Heights can be fairly deceptive as Beckenbuer is listed at 5' 11.5", I always thought he was around 6' 2".

Pete

Instead of creating all these weird and wonderful formations that look fantastic, does no-one remember that our club sides don't play like that and so the players would have no idea how to get those tactics working? For years we've had managers doing the square peg thing, and we've all ripped them for doing it. Finally we have a manager that just plays with what he's got, is getting the results with it and we're still criticising him/the team?

There is nothing wrong with a 4-4-2 as long as it stays organised. Our players seem to be doing a pretty good job of that, so why the fuss to change things? I agree we could (should!) be playing some prettier football, but it's very hard to argue with results. And yes, I have completely changed my tune from the start of the thread :blush::lol:

Instead of creating all these weird and wonderful formations that look fantastic, does no-one remember that our club sides don't play like that and so the players would have no idea how to get those tactics working? For years we've had managers doing the square peg thing, and we've all ripped them for doing it. Finally we have a manager that just plays with what he's got, is getting the results with it and we're still criticising him/the team?

There is nothing wrong with a 4-4-2 as long as it stays organised. Our players seem to be doing a pretty good job of that, so why the fuss to change things? I agree we could (should!) be playing some prettier football, but it's very hard to argue with results. And yes, I have completely changed my tune from the start of the thread :blush::lol:

Wrong.

The best football England ever played in recent memory, was the 4-3-2-1 Xmas tree of Venables in'96.

No player in that team had ever played in a formation like it, but because Venables was a good coach, they were able to make it work.

How did the official not see that it was a goal? Good effort by Terry tho.... but come on its about time football got with the times and introduced video replay lke rugby / tennis etc

+ 1

It's not like it takes long either, the comentators generally manage to watch the replays, argue and decided in a matter of moments!

And as with the other sports it adds a bit of tension/excitement whilst staring at the big sreen waiting for the verdict!!

Pull your finger out FIFA

Small players can hold the ball up just as well as big players - the amount of times I watch Carlton Cole have a ball up to him, he shoves the defender out the way and ball bounces off him is ridiculous. Rooney for instance isn't a big player but is excellent at holding the ball up. Defoe, cannot hold the ball up not because of height but because he isn't strong enough and its not in his make up to do that. He feeds on scraps, runs at centre backs and in the channels.

Sorry Dave but Johnson is not a frustrated winger and never was, if you look at his history he grew up playing centre back as he was quite tall for his age when he was younger. But he was very much in the mould or Rio which Tony Carr was pushing on the centre backs at that time. Which is why Johnson is actually pretty good on the ball. When he went to Chelsea he was forced to play right back, which if you ask any central defender isn't easy as it involves a whole new method of playing (ie not facing up attackers) which is why it took so long for him to get into the groove for that position.

Parker can pass, and in fact I would argue is probably the most technically accomplished player in the team very rarely wasting possession only playing the hollywood pass when it really is on.

Lescott would be an utter joke at right back, sorry captain, thats a shocking call. If you don't like Johnson then play Kelly who would be a better bet than a 6'3'' guy trying to adjust 20 years of his game playing down the middle where 50% of his touches are clearing headers.

A midfield of 5 with Walcott, Ox, Young, Gerrard and Parker. I reckon on the latter two could do that - the others couldnt cope with the confined spaces and quick thinking and passing required.

Wrong.

The best football England ever played in recent memory, was the 4-3-2-1 Xmas tree of Venables in'96.

No player in that team had ever played in a formation like it, but because Venables was a good coach, they were able to make it work.

Fair point. We still didn't win anything though, and our run to the semis was down to a fortunate combination of not having to qualify and home advantage as well as Gazza and Shearer hitting form at the right time IMHO.

I don't remember it that well though if I'm honest, I was only 16 at the time. Your memory of it is probably better than mine, no offence. :)

I think the biggest issue that England has is that we have some of the best attacking talent in the world (Rooney, Walcott, Gerrard, Ox, Young) but yet we persist in sitting back and soaking things up rather than pressing and going for it. That's very frustrating to watch, as even if it is a genuine tactic rather than everyone else being better than us, it does tend to look like the latter.

How did the official not see that it was a goal? Good effort by Terry tho.... but come on its about time football got with the times and introduced video replay lke rugby / tennis etc

+ 1

It's not like it takes long either, the comentators generally manage to watch the replays, argue and decided in a matter of moments!

And as with the other sports it adds a bit of tension/excitement whilst staring at the big sreen waiting for the verdict!!

Blatter announces that ball line technology will be introduced now for sure - obviously when it happened to England two years ago he couldnt give two hoots. But now its happened to a nation that paid him lots of money to choose them as the host nation things must change...

...oh, did I just say something slanderous there?

I think the biggest issue that England has is that we have some of the best attacking talent in the world (Rooney, Walcott, Gerrard, Ox, Young) but yet we persist in sitting back and soaking things up rather than pressing and going for it. That's very frustrating to watch, as even if it is a genuine tactic rather than everyone else being better than us, it does tend to look like the latter.

Not sure Ox, Walcott and Young are in the best attacking talent pool to be honest. When you look at Ibrahimovic, Ribery, most the German side, most Spainish side, oh god the list goes on - I would have all them in front of Ox, Walcott and Young.

+ 1

Blatter announces that ball line technology will be introduced now for sure - obviously when it happened to England two years ago he couldnt give two hoots. But now its happened to a nation that paid him lots of money to choose them as the host nation things must change...

...oh, did I just say something slanderous there?

[commentator] Goal Line technology didn't exist in 1966 either. [/commentator]

I still feel a little uneasy about the ball crossing the line but an instant replay would also have shown a clear offside when the ball was played through to him :shrug: . What the sport really needs is something similar to rugby/cricket where a referee sits in a studio and has access to all the videos and can relay a decision to the referee within a minute or two.

Pete

Having thought about the three games I guess I now get it. Its Roys way of playing. I am not sure it will work against Italy but having watched England play better and attractive soccer and then lose I guess we are going to have to get used to this defending and breaking game.

Having thought about the three games I guess I now get it. Its Roys way of playing. I am not sure it will work against Italy but having watched England play better and attractive soccer and then lose I guess we are going to have to get used to this defending and breaking game.

'It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low.'

'It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low.'

Also a lot more entertaining to watch.

I still feel a little uneasy about the ball crossing the line but an instant replay would also have shown a clear offside when the ball was played through to him :shrug: . What the sport really needs is something similar to rugby/cricket where a referee sits in a studio and has access to all the videos and can relay a decision to the referee within a minute or two.

Pete

NO IT BLOODY DOESN'T !!!!

THE best thing about football is the none-stop drama, the dodgy decisions, things to talk about the next day with your mates.

It would ruin the game if they introduced any system where they stop and look at replays for "a minute or two" :thumbdown:

I seem to be the only person who doesn't want any goal line technology, The human error factor is brilliant, it's all part of the excitement :)

No it's not, it's retarded. It doesn't take a minute or two, it can be done within the time it takes further ballboys to go and get the ball and give it back to the player to take the goal kick/free kick anyway, so it won't waste any more time. Doesn't need doing for everything, but certainly for goals, penalties and red cards it shoud be used.

Ask yourself this: When they show you the replays on TV a couple of times and then cut back to the action, do you actually miss anything? No, you don't, because people take ages to sort themselves out anyway.