Please Help

garp

Not good news from JAPEX.

Ross thinks my engine is irreparable and I should go on a hunt for a re conditioned 2006 Rev up engine.

Can anyone help and have you got any ideas.

Im in dire straights.

See pics of piston and valves below.

Is there hardly anyone on these forums anymore

Or is my Please Help post not enough to entice people to look.

Come on people.

Anyone got an idea where I can get a second hand engine?

Is there hardly anyone on these forums anymore

Or is my Please Help post not enough to entice people to look.

Come on people.

Anyone got an idea where I can get a second hand engine?

Bad luck mate, that's really gotta suck :console:

I think the lack of response is probably a combination of 'please help' (which turns up a lot and is usually something stupid/boring) and the fact that Zmanalex and R35LEE have already been recommended to you, and they really are the best place to start. The only other sensible suggestion I can make is ebay, DE engines do seem to pop up reasonably regularly but you might struggle to find a rev-up.

Good luck

DB

Sorry, Im just panicking. I respect all reply's.

Thank you all for you help.

Ive had a quote from motorsparess uk brakers website and the guy called me and said hes just had a 2006 written off car with a good engine thats done 41000 miles.

The quote was £3070 inc VAT and delivery to JAPEX.

3 months warranty but obviously no service paperwork.

Any thoughts guys?

What the hell caused that? Its written off two pistons, I cant see how one valve can jump from cylinder to cylinder :bangin:

Are the bores scored or did they come out OK? If they are in decent nick then you might get away with just replacing the head, if they are lightly scored you could possibly get them rehoned and use an oversixed ring, maye even an oversized piston if they are really bad, anyone know if VQ's have bore liners? :shrug:

Polo used to have a spare VQ kicking about, dont know if he still has, and a quick ebay scan shows this for £2K fitted (17K miles) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-350Z-V ... 1e6e016420

This for £1K without ancilleries (that youve already got, 33K): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-350Z-2 ... 2ebe5c0d56 ........ £3K sounds a lot.

A new head is going to be a lot less to buy than a new engine and a lot less to fit as well, might be worth considering. TBH Im surprised your man at Japex hasnt been able to help more, not heard of them myself but all that up there ^^ is pretty standard. :)

What the hell caused that? Its written off two pistons, I cant see how one valve can jump from cylinder to cylinder :bangin:

Are the bores scored or did they come out OK? If they are in decent nick then you might get away with just replacing the head, if they are lightly scored you could possibly get them rehoned and use an oversixed ring, maye even an oversized piston if they are really bad, anyone know if VQ's have bore liners? :shrug:

Polo used to have a spare VQ kicking about, dont know if he still has, and a quick ebay scan shows this for £2K fitted (17K miles) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-350Z-V ... 1e6e016420

This for £1K without ancilleries (that youve already got, 33K): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-350Z-2 ... 2ebe5c0d56 ........ £3K sounds a lot.

A new head is going to be a lot less to buy than a new engine and a lot less to fit as well, might be worth considering. TBH Im surprised your man at Japex hasnt been able to help more, not heard of them myself but all that up there ^^ is pretty standard. :)

This. Perfectly written and explained. :)

Thanks mate, thought I was invisible or something. OP seems to be good at asking for help but not great at reading the answers ...... ;):D

Sorry docwa, I am reading stuff when I can but I am at work and trying to find an engine.

The guys at JAPEX are really well known and respected on here and thats why my car is with them now.

I trust them when they say that the engine is gone.

When they explained it to me they said a hydraulic lifter has busted which then dropped the valve into the piston which in turn has cracked the head,

bent a rod that has spun down and taken out the bottom end also. There are 100s of pieces of metal in every orifice of the engine including where the oil runs.

Im not the best person to explain all this and I wish I was.

Thanks for helping though and I did run this with JAPEX and they said of course they would do this if it was possible.

Like I said they are well know on here and they want whats best for their customers.

Ill keep looking.

Ouch. :blackeye: Thats about as catastrophic as engine failure gets, Ive only managed tops or bottoms on their own, never both at the same time. Congrats :#1:;)

Fair play, thats definitely a new engine then mate, not even worth bothering trying to fix one thats had a smashed top and bottom end. I would check out the links I posted though as I think £3K is steep for a new engine, you could buy an LS* V8 for that ;)

Thanks docwra. Will have a look. Its hard at work though.

Nothing Ive done to it apparently which is good to know. I guess.

No signs of lack of oil wear in engine at all.

Just unlucky :thumbdown:

Im now buying a second hand engine through ZMANALEX and Ross at JAPEX is gonna fit it once it turns up. :thumbs:

Watching the sunny weekends disappear. Theres never a good time for an engine failure, on probably the only sunny days of the year it just feels worst.