HKS/Vortec supercharger prices 313 spec

deank93

Hi all,

I've read lots of supercharger threads with a view to finding out about the costs involved, what i've read seems to vary a fair bit depending on personal spanner skills etc and i've not seen anyone having done the conversion on the 313 spec.

My situation is that my spanner skills are poor and my spare time is minimal so alas I'm one of those owners who would need to drive the car in to whoever was doing it and pick it back up a few weeks later when the work was completed.

Can anyone give me a an idea of prices for just a drive in, drive out type of thing, I wouldn't initially bother with upgrading discs, lines, pads, suspension, clutch (due to additional cost) until what I have wears out or it becomes obvious I need to upgrade them before i kill myself.

Thanks.

To my knowledge the only supercharger kit available for the HR engine is the GTM rotrex kit. It's awesome, and very well put together, but consequently very expensive compared to a vortec. You also have to get it shipped from the states so you'll get raped on import taxes. Go to the US forums and have a read up. If you think there's really such a thing as 'drive in drive out' then I think you need to read some first-hand experiences of how it can all go wrong. You're adding a lot of power to a car which wasn't designed for it, so you at least need to have extra funds standing by just in case and seriously think about whether you can deal with the potential decreased reliability. Re: supporting mods, do you really want 300bhp worth of brakes and tires on a 450bhp car?

DB

Stock brakes are fine unless your spending time on track. I ran 420hp on stock disks and pads.

As Danny says though, the only real option is the GTM kit. I know that HKS developed a kit for the HR but I don't believe it was ever released. Your best option is to contact Abbey - I'm pretty certain they can supply the GTM kit and they will fit it aswell :thumbs:

As for cost, I reckon you would do well to do it all for less than £10K

PM "thenoname"

He had a GTM s/c kit fitted to a HR by Abbey Motorsport.

It's probs a little cheaper now, but when I priced up a TT kit in 2010, including all the supporting mods (custom exhaust, fuel return, re-map etc) and all the labour done by Abbey, the price came out at £16k. That would have given about 470bhp.

I know that's not the S/C kit, but it give you an idea of other options :thumbs:

cheers for the replies, I didnt realise the s/c on the HR would produce 450bhp....having owned a big power Pulsar I know all about poop reliability and don't really want to venture back down that road agin...are there a lot of s/c horror stories?

PM "thenoname"

He had a GTM s/c kit fitted to a HR by Abbey Motorsport.

It's probs a little cheaper now, but when I priced up a TT kit in 2010, including all the supporting mods (custom exhaust, fuel return, re-map etc) and all the labour done by Abbey, the price came out at £16k. That would have given about 470bhp.

I know that's not the S/C kit, but it give you an idea of other options :thumbs:

Cheers, I'll pop him a message.

cheers for the replies, I didnt realise the s/c on the HR would produce 450bhp....having owned a big power Pulsar I know all about poop reliability and don't really want to venture back down that road agin...are there a lot of s/c horror stories?

450 is a top-end figure, but the GTM kit uses a big Rotrex supercharger that has far more potential than the vortec or particularly the HKS (which is also a Rotrex blower, just a lot smaller), so could easily get there if you wanted.

In fairness, SCs are more reliable than TT kits on the whole, but there's 'catastrophic failure' unreliable and then there's 'not running quite right' unreliable, and while the latter isn't as bad, it must still be bloody annoying having spent so much cash. Most serious failures on SCs seem to come when someone wished they'd bought turbos and go power chasing, where they end up with a highly-strung setup with everything pushed right to the limit.

Re-reading my first post it sounds like i'm having a big downer on the idea, and i'm not, it's just that anything you do is going to make the car more fragile, so you'd never really be able to just bolt it on and treat it like stock, but it sounds like you've had previous experience so you'll know that already.

DB

Reliability with a SC is VERY good if your not chasing every last HP. In fact, I have not heard of any engine failures in the UK due to Supercharging. Has anyone else?

As Dannyboy said, you maybe prone to a niggle every now and then, that might need a tweek of the map to sort but once its sorted its generally it.

LOTS of posts on here about niggly things wrong with 350's but how many of them are related to Supercharging? Not many.

If you get a reputable Tuner to map it, are sensible about your numbers and keep it well maintained there is no reason why it won't last as long as an N/A.

My car has been Supercharged for 7 years, it has evolved over that time from 360 ish HP to 442 HP. It has only done about 22k but 20k of them are SC'd and I've done 10k of them and drive it fairly hard.

Get it done - Its how the car should have been in the first place! ;)

:drive1

Reliability with a SC is VERY good if your not chasing every last HP. In fact, I have not heard of any engine failures in the UK due to Supercharging. Has anyone else?

As Dannyboy said, you maybe prone to a niggle every now and then, that might need a tweek of the map to sort but once its sorted its generally it.

LOTS of posts on here about niggly things wrong with 350's but how many of them are related to Supercharging? Not many.

If you get a reputable Tuner to map it, are sensible about your numbers and keep it well maintained there is no reason why it won't last as long as an N/A.

My car has been Supercharged for 7 years, it has evolved over that time from 360 ish HP to 442 HP. It has only done about 22k but 20k of them are SC'd and I've done 10k of them and drive it fairly hard.

Get it done - Its how the car should have been in the first place! ;)

:drive1

I'm not that interested in number chasing anymore, it was something i got caught up with when I owned the pulsar and it cost me a bloody fortune, part of the appeal of the zed was that I couldn't get massive gains or minimal money.

Reliability is important to me as having had 2 or 3 on the pulsar I don't fancy that again, running niggles that can be easily smoothed out i could live with.

Thanks again for the replies.....is there anyone other than Abbey anyone could suggest?

Hi,

HKS have never produced a kit for the HR. Model car and the chargers used on the HKS kit now use a S/C kit made by HKS themselves.

2 kits are made for the 313 model cars 1, GTM kit that uses a Rotorex charger they do make a couple of kits but only 1 of the kits will fit our RHD cars. We will be fitting our 3rd kit later on this month both previous kits produced 440+ hub bhp very easily and safely I have no issues with pushing the motor's in the 313 model engines to this sort of bhp we even keep the stock clutch on this type of bhp/torque. 2, the Stillen kit that uses a Vortech charger, not fitted one of these ourselves but my friend in the US has fitted and tuned a kit, it doesn't produce the figures like the GTM kit.

We always fit a fuel return system together with larger uprated injectors tuned with the Uprev software, keeps the cruise control, multi maps full normal car diagnostic's and car will run like a stock car.

We advise a oil cooler and if your going to track the car a sump extension is advisable as well.

We can run with either de-cats or HFC's and a stock exhaust can be used if needed.

If you tune a totally stock car including oil cooler and sump yes you looking at a lot of money but we can tailor a staged conversion to make the upgrade more managable.

Any questions ask away , email me mark(@)Abbeymotorsport.co.uk for more details or give me a ring to discuss.

Mark