Is this normal: 313 Bonnet

DaJimstar

Good People of the Forum.. :D

Do 313 Bonnets sit slightly to the left, so that the join between lowest downward part of the bonet (see image with red lines :thumbs: ) and left headlamp is tight around 3mil and contrast that the gap on the lowest downward right headlamp side is wider about 8mil (see image with green lines ).. Please help, I am searching for 313's and even when HPI clear this makes me think avoid.. avoid..bumped at some point :bang:

Am I wrong, can the stut on a 313 or something make them sit like this.. :):) Once again, Thanks :bangin::bangin:

What's the gap on the other side of the lights like? It's possible that a previous owner or garage had the lamp out to change bulbs or a ballast because they aren't easy to line up perfectly again when refitting. My drivers side isn't as tight to the outside edge as the passengers side due to this and me giving up trying to make it perfect. :bangin:

What's the gap on the other side of the lights like? It's possible that a previous owner or garage had the lamp out to change bulbs or a ballast because they aren't easy to line up perfectly again when refitting.:bangin:

pics of full lights..

Mine doesnt look like that mate! I wouls steer clear, could be a sign of previous damage!!

i was doing, and no w am doing.. its a blatant bump repair... imo.. 313's.. like a good job, a mint one, well they are hard to find..

:thumbs::thumbs: thanks so much for sharing info

Looked at a load of photos of 313's from various meetings I've attended. There is a very slight tendency for the gap to be bigger on the nearside, but not as noticeable as the one in those photos. Caroline's roadster has a slightly bigger gap and that has definitely not been in a bump. I had a bulge bonnet fitted to my 55 reg coupe and it took the bodyshop quite a while to get it lined up properly.

Pete

Looked at a load of photos of 313's from various meetings I've attended. There is a very slight tendency for the gap to be bigger on the nearside..

Pete

Is that the passanger side m8, the near side.. apologies.. I know this is probably a :blush: question.. I have seen a few like this now..

Looked at a load of photos of 313's from various meetings I've attended. There is a very slight tendency for the gap to be bigger on the nearside..

Pete

Is that the passanger side m8, the near side.. apologies.. I know this is probably a :blush: question.. I have seen a few like this now..

Yep, nearside is the passenger side - because it's nearest to the pavement I believe....I thought it was the driver side for years! :teeth:

:teeth::teeth: I cringe at my knowledge (lack of it) when I press submit on here :lol::lol:

Pete

Yep, nearside is the passenger side - because it's nearest to the pavement I believe....I thought it was the driver side for years! :teeth:

Without seeing the car in the flesh, it's impossible for us to diagnose, but it does look like the bonnet is sitting a little high on the near side. Check the bonnet hinge on that side, there may be a little play in it and could be adjusted easily. It's possible that the bonnet has been replaced at some point under corrosion warranty and just wasn't fitted correctly, or not fitted correctly in the first place. I believe you can check with Nissan with the registration number or chassis number and they can confirm if there has been warranty work done.

Of course it is completely possible that there is something dodgy going on, but I for one am not so quick to jump to conclusions when there are other options.

Mine isn't a 313, but right from new when I purchased back in 2004, the bonnet wasn't aligned 100% correctly. Didn't cause any issues. Rectified with a new bonnet and being properly aligned. Probably just whipping the bonnet off and realigning might be fine.

If it has been in a shunt I would have thought if you look hard enough you will see other signs of repair because if a bodyshop left the bonnet fitting like that then chances are there are other give-away clues. :shrug:

My inclination would be towards the need for adjustment - as suggested above ^^^^

If it has been in a shunt I would have thought if you look hard enough you will see other signs of repair

And my good man, what would these consist of, I did look behind/under the bonet everything appeared of a similiar age and straight.. I would get a full AA inspection..

What you have to bear in mind is that the bonnets are put on by human beings who will have an allocated time to fit them. In any case I just checked Caroline's car and to my surprise the gap on the nearside is pretty much the same as the one in the photo you posted earlier in the thread. On that basis I'd say its perfectly normal :thumbs:

Pete

HPI is your friend

Very very true... Car has/is HPI clear.. but surely a repair can be hidden from HPI if it never went through insurance. Or is the counter to that, if it never went through insurance it can not have been that bad? :doh:

HPI is only a very basic guide, it won't cover log book loans or repairs done outside of insurance.

Use your eyes and ask the right questions, and if it looks odd then walk. Otherwise spend more and buy from a dealer to give you the extra protection.

If it has been in a shunt I would have thought if you look hard enough you will see other signs of repair

And my good man, what would these consist of, I did look behind/under the bonet everything appeared of a similiar age and straight.. I would get a full AA inspection..

One of the give-aways is the original white wax protection scattered around the engine bay examples on the ends of the strut bar in the pic here on my 370 (also on the 350's) on the underside of the bonnet (IIRC) and areas around the rad ;)

P1060508.jpg

This is from a dealer, stratstone Jaguar

Right, then stop worrying! Get them to give it to you in writing that the car has never been crash repaired or any insurance write-off, and then you're laughing.