What not to do on a cold wet Saturday morning.

SimonD

ESP is only an aid too. It is there to stop any more power going to the wheels therefore you still have to correct your mistake, hence if you do a big slide, you will still slide. However you also have to be careful not to over correct or you will very sorry.

Personally i have tried it out in first gear, going slowly shifting to 2nd and speeding up, then turning sharply and i was very impressed how it dealt with the mistake and helped me correct it. I couldnt even go into a big spin as it cut power due to my foot being floored! lol

Again, ESP will not activate if you are driving properly and smoothly. This is my first RWD car too and i am still scared shitless that i am going to spin it, but for what its worth, its pretty hard to do, but when it goes, it goes

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and i tested it with my previous car in the snow, quite impressive. (We had no snow here this year so no way to test with the Z :p). Driving on snow at 30mph, and then doing a sharp turn left, the car slid straight forward on the front wheels without ESP. With ESP it actually followed the steering input.

The ESP/Traction control can be tuned to allow "levels" of recovery...

I read somehwere that the Skyline GTR traction control is designed to allow a level of drift before it activates, this is to ensure it keeps sportiness feel...

And people like top gear and magazines have compared the 350z traction control with that of an Audi TT , the latter been very efficient and kicking in very quickly , but this reduces the amount of sportiness and driver feel... with the nissan you still keep a level of perceived sportiness ...

I think the concepts for each car are different and the Z is more after raw driver appeal, than the "clinically engineered performance" of a TT

I bet if it wasn't for the US and the latest fads for safety , Europe spec zeds would not have come with ESP.

The tc/stability control is nt very good on the Z as said above its only a driving aid.

I think its better to learn how to drive the car with the tc off then when the back end does go you will probobly be able to catch it.

With the tc on it is virtually impossible to get a feel for the car and in my opinion knowing how to control the backend is an essential skill in a high power rwd car.

It could one day save your pride/vehicle/life.

Repairable unfortunately :(

does that mean that you have to declare it as cat C/D or whatever when you sell it? Not sure at what point that applies. If so then why should you lose out when you would have got market value if you'd written it off.

Simon,

Speaking from experience there may be a way to make more expensive if that is what you want.

I had a CLK 320 which I stacked on ICE. Was insured with Direct Line and they took to their repair people which do all makes.

I want Merc to repair it and was give very good advice by people in the trade.

Merc gives 15 year paint warranty if it is always serviced by Merc.

The Direct Line repair centre would only offer 6 years for bodywork/rust.

Therefore I said that was not good enough and insisted it was moved to Merc.

They did not like that since Merc charged almost twice as much as their repair centre when it comes to mechanics time.

Simon,

Speaking from experience there may be a way to make more expensive if that is what you want.

I had a CLK 320 which I stacked on ICE. Was insured with Direct Line and they took to their repair people which do all makes.

I want Merc to repair it and was give very good advice by people in the trade.

Merc gives 15 year paint warranty if it is always serviced by Merc.

The Direct Line repair centre would only offer 6 years for bodywork/rust.

Therefore I said that was not good enough and insisted it was moved to Merc.

They did not like that since Merc charged almost twice as much as their repair centre when it comes to mechanics time.

Yes but even then i bet merc wont do the bodywork. I know that in Stoke the Main merc dealer Drayton Continental use a company called Spray Style to do their repairs on their behalf. Mind you they are superb at their trade. :)

Beavis,

Yes, think it would be subbed out, however, it maintains the status of the car to that before the accident. It still carries all the warranty that it had before and should hold it value, instead of the possibility of selling the car with the reduced warranty.

Only suggested this to bump up the repair price, did not want to imply that it would be an inferior job if it was done anywhere else. As you never know how good anyone is until you get references. The price will likely be higher as everyone puts their margin on, instead of the insurance company doing as cheap as possible.

Get a Nissan estimate of repair.

Already on it, it goes back to Marshalls for the work to be carried out, they were also surprised by this however they did say that the assessor didn't actually have any quotes to work with.

It's due up at Marshalls next week, I do know that the drive train sounded bad when it was started up after the incident (not by me I hasten to add), it was a case of the car being moved by either forklift truck or driven into the garage, they decided to drive it in so started the car up, it sounded awful.

Last year when my Celica 190 was battered by the Garda's the first thing I did was get the bodyshop manager from my Toyota garage up to work up a quick estimate before the assessor arrived. As I wanted it repaired he did the best he could with the estimate. Came back with a rough figure of €5k. I passed this onto the assessor when he arrived. He asked me if I was sure I wanted to repair. Car was valued at €20k but it seemed they'd prefer to bin it. Not sure why but I think it was because he felt the costs would increase far above the estimate or insurance companies are just weird about repairs.

Bit of a ramble. Anyway the quote from Nissan will not be cheep and the insurance company may change their mind using whatever strange reasoning they have.

• 2 months later...

I have :D

It's now been written off, estimated repair cost got close to 22k, at which point they decided to write the car off and simply replace it with a new one.

2007 Temper Orange Nismo GT has been ordered and due mid August :D

It's now been written off, estimated repair cost got close to 22k, at which point they decided to write the car off and simply replace it with a new one.

Will it have the V1 Nismo kit? :)

Will it have the V1 Nismo kit? :)

I believe so, which is lucky as I really don't like the back end of the Version Nismo car.

Whats your insurance gonna be like now? :dry:

Actually hoping it won't be too bad, I have 11 years protected no claims, this is the first fault accident I have had in a number of years. I guess I will find out in a few months when I have to renew but time will tell.