What not to do on a cold wet Saturday morning.

SimonD

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably not a good idea to answer those questions on an open forum..

Hope the piccies don't show any undeclared mods. If they do then pull them quick.

Hope you are ok mate.... totalling a car is a gutting feeling but if you live to tell the tale its a great pub story!

One less red one too... :-((

Lucky for me there are no undeclared mods, add to that they are all insured as well (one of the reasons for the cost of £750 for the policy, I wanted everything insured).

Hopefully people will understand if I fail to answer some questions atm, purely because I can't.

WAS ESP ON OR OFF? :wacko:
Probably not a good thing for him to say on an open forum, but would it matter either way?

WHat is the insurance stance on ESP off and you have an accident? Does it invalidate our insurance or does it not affect it at all

Of course it would matter. First of all, it would put me off ever turning it off full stop. Secondly if it was on then there would be no reason to not post that it was on. The only issue would be if it was off. They can tell if it was on or off anyway :surrender:

Unless its written into the policy I cant see it would make any difference to be honest, its a standard button on the car, and can quite easily be turned on/off when trying to wash the headlamps ;)

Ive planted my foot in the wet with the traction control ON and its still wiggles like mad and could get you into trouble - with it off, Im fairly certain I would stack it up in the wet if I was heavy footed.

In all honesty, I would never switch it off with even the slightest whiff of damp in the air.

ESP is purely a driver aid... not a fundamental requirement for the integrity of the drive performance.

as such it is irrelevant if it was on or off... the only question would have been was he been reckless, and as the police attended the scene and moved on, I am guessingn this was not the case... so ESP on of off is irrelevant...

Sorry to see a gorgeous red one go...ans NISMO !

:byebye:

Simon,

Real shame as car looked great, but as other said you can always get another one, as long as you came out of it okay.

I have written off 2 cars and always a bummer, however when you get the new one you will never look back. Hope its sorted soon.

Steve

Most important thing is your fine. Cars can be replaced.

Did you have traction control on?

Touchy subject apparently. He has refused to answer that question, which would infer that it was off. If it was on you would just say yes it was on. :wacko:

Here we go :boxing:

Touchy subject apparently. He has refused to answer that question, which would infer that it was off. If it was on you would just say yes it was on. :wacko:

Why should it be?

Why should it be?

Thought you upset SimonD before? ;)

Maybe something had spilled onto the road? Some diesel perhaps? If it was FWD, it may have tram lined into the same armco anyway in this case.

I must admit, I tend to only turn ESP off when it's dry or for short "fun bursts" in the wet. If you've been cruising on a motorway and then slow down for a roundabout on a turn off without giving it full attention, I could imagine it keep easily catch you out without ESP on in the wet.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your car Simon; at least you and your loved ones are in one piece!

Why should it be?

Thought you upset SimonD before? ;)

Its not an overly complicated question though :surrender:

Either way he'd still be covered, so does not matter if he says it was not on. :wacko:

I wasn't intimating that he wouldn't be covered. I've never said anything like that. I asked the question purely to find out if this type of thing can happen with it on. Thats all. If it happened with it on then thats a worry for all of us. If it happened with it off then that might explain it somewhat.

I NEVER ONCE SAID HE WOULD'NT BE COVERED WITH IT OFF. :)

Update, upon further investigation it's been discovered that there was an accident at the same spot about 12 hours previously.

I have spoken to both the HWA and Essex Police Accident Investigations who confirm that an incident occured where I had my accident but unfortunately the accident report for both incidents haven't been written up (actually scratch that as the police couldn't wait to leave the scene of my accident).

As previously mentioned the general consensus was that it was either black ice or oil on the road. The fact that the police just breathed me and left leaves me in no doubt that in their minds I did nothing wrong and that the accident couldn't be helped.

As to answering whether I had ESP on or off, make of it what you want by my refusing to answer that question, also make of it what you want for my reasons in not answering it. Please understand that whilst I am waiting for more information on what's going to happen next I am not going to say something that 'could' potentially cause me grief.

The thing to remember is that I wasn't driving like an idiot, I wasn't speeding and this just happened. It was beyond my control due to the simple fact that it happened as quickly as it did, one of the things mentioned by the HWA was that the vehicle did leave a skid mark on the road as it made it's way into the Armco. Make of that what you want.

I wasn't intimating that he wouldn't be covered. I've never said anything like that. I asked the question purely to find out if this type of thing can happen with it on. Thats all.

Yes it can. I had the car going sideways with ESP on more than 1 time. Electronics are great, but you cannot change the laws of physics, especially on RWD cars ;)

Correct - It is a Driver "AID", not a Driver "RESOLVER", it will not get you out of every situation, therefore it is not a safety cushion to sit back and relax .... :thumbs:

But as the zed is my first RWD car I'm not overly confident in my ability to drive with the ESP off, which is why I was enquiring if this happened with it on or off. If it was ON then mine will never be off if a freak accident like this can happen :surrender:

I know the ESP does not save you from every single incident but I need all the help I can get :wacko: