My Vortech Supercharged Zed on track.

Sam Mcgoo

I took part in a novice track day at Snetterton 300 a few weeks back to stretch the Zed's legs a bit after its latest tune at Abbey.

It was a very well organised event run by Club MSV with 6 x 20 minute sessions through the day. The welcome brief was very professionally done and there was even briefs throughout the day on driving tips and track layout. There was an opportunity to have an instructor for 20 mins for £25 also. Unfortunately they were all booked up for the day.

An eventful start to the day as a TVR Tuscan lost it under braking on lap 2 and ploughed into the armco :headhurt: Smashed the rear, the side and a wheel. :byebye:

Anyway, the Zed performed faultlessly and I had a really good day. :yahoo: The only problem encountered was that my oil temperature got VERY hot (138 degC) so could only do a couple of laps at a time and was taking it fairly easy. Saying that, I still don't remember anything overtaking me all day unless I was on a cool down lap.

There was a good selection of cars there - Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Porsche Carrera 4, 350BHP Audi TT, Lotus Elan, a couple of Elises, VX220s, BMW M1, Caterham and an R35 GTR turned up for the last session. I spent most of my time racing round with the guy in the Aston who was a really nice guy. (but he couldn't catch me :teeth: )

Here is a couple of pics and vids from the day -

IMAG0146.jpg

IMAG0147.jpg

IMAG0148.jpg

IMAG0150.jpg

P1010032.jpg

This my dad took from the pit wall - Me doing a flyby with the Aston chasing me down -

This was a couple of laps taken on my bumper cam -

And the same 2 laps from inside the car -

Not brilliant, but you get the idea. :)

You enjoyed that first right hander after the pit straight :#1:

Funny how the bumper cam looks aggressive but come inside the car and it seems very calm.

Great vids and great track. You need to get to the ring, that's where the fun begins :thumbs:

Nice one Sam :clap:

You enjoyed that first right hander after the pit straight :#1:

Funny how the bumper cam looks aggressive but come inside the car and it seems very calm.

Great vids and great track. You need to get to the ring, that's where the fun begins :thumbs:

Nice one Sam :clap:

I know, I did wonder whether to post the inside vid as it seems so lame! :lol: You really get no impression of speed etc on these cameras :blush: If you ask my dad if it was a nice calm place to be after he done a 20 min session as a passenger I think he would have something to say as he felt a bit under the weather. :lol:

I would love to get to the ring sometime. I've got an oil cooler to fit etc...before I go anywhere else.

Looks like a great day out, and the car was running well bar being a bit hot.

Aston :cloud9: (sorry I'd still have it even if its slower!)

Whats up next for the car? Even though my 350z was stock in performance terms, bucket seats made a massive difference to going faster on the few airfield days I did. Hold you in nice and tight and gives you much more feedback from what the car is doing.

Sam the speed was there in the car but it was calm and nice smooth gear changes and rather relaxed. Where as the bumper can couldn't portray any of that.

Gear changes appeared aggressive with the sound of Vortech during change that's probably what it was?

Get the cooler fitted and set yourself up for a trip to the ring. I'll be heading out there at the end of summer with my good half and probably Bennett. 4 days of enjoyment :#1:

Get the cooler fitted and set yourself up for a trip to the ring. I'll be heading out there at the end of summer with my good half and probably Bennett. 4 days of enjoyment :#1:

Are you & Bennett intending to have your builds finished by then? That could be very interesting, 4 S/C zeds @ the ring together :scare:

Are you & Bennett intending to have your builds finished by then? That could be very interesting, 4 S/C zeds @ the ring together :scare:

I'll not be doing mine till after Wales, Bennett probably the same. So yeah hopefully lots of SC zeds at the ring. Would be good I'd say. You're looking at about £1,000 for a 4 day trip. But knowing you, you'll have a support vehicle and team, so that price will go up a little :lol:

Great videos Sam, Your car FLIES!!! Can`t wait to get mine tuned now :teeth:

Cheers, she goes ok. :D

Are you booked in for ya tune yet?

Whats up next for the car? Even though my 350z was stock in performance terms, bucket seats made a massive difference to going faster on the few airfield days I did. Hold you in nice and tight and gives you much more feedback from what the car is doing.

To be honest I've got to stop spending for a bit as I'm getting married this summer and the missus thinks there is more important things to spend money on this year :shrug:

However, I'll be fitting an oil cooler this weekend, then oil catch can and cooler panel. Then I just need to re-finish the wheels as they are getting a bit scabby. Then I'll stop for a bit. :blush:

As you say the vids never convey the sense of speed or the braking force going on, but nice smooth driving there and must say I liked the little repeats showing the Aston who was boss on the pit straight :teeth:

Cheers Colin. :thumbs:

Awesome videos sam, the car looks and sounds fantastic. Bet you had a smile on your face all day.

Great vids Sam, great sounds and car looks :cloud9: loving it!

Looks good, sounds good, goes good :drive1 Nice videos B)

Cheers Will, Col,Humpy :)

Good videos Sam, if I can be nosey how much did you gain from having the Vortech fitted (0-60 and BHP)? I'm thinking of fitting one next year when I get a few pennies coming to me.

Cheers Jeff

Well, before all the Mods = 276 bhp ......After = 442 bhp...You do the Math :teeth::teeth::drive1

As far as 0-60 is concerned I couldn't tell ya to be honest, the zed is a difficult car to get moving from a standstill but I would think well under the 5 second mark.

Yeah, 105dB.

Really?!

I would have thought with your exhaust setup you would be a lot more louder then this.

Have you measured it yet?

:lol:

My set up is nowhwere near. Measured on the day held at just over 4k and was only 90 db.

That's why I like my set up. Nice and quiet cruising about but comes alive under load ! :thumbs: