Need new front discs

The Bounty Bar Kid

Hi Guys,

So my brakes have been squeeking recently. Popped into Kwik-Fit this morning to get them checked out. Need new front discs. So will have to get new front pads too.

Just wondering if people could help me with the following questions...

1) If I upgrade the front to DBA + Ferodo DS2500s, will it have an adverse effect on my car if I left the rears as standard? Got quite a bit left on them.

2) Which DBA discs to get? Seen on cougarstore some gold ones. Are they same spec as the black ones and also does anyone have a pic of these on their car?

3)How much better would the 2-piece be over the 1 piece? not sure if I can justify the extra 300 without good reason.

Thanx peeps!

Braking is usually balanced 60% front and 40% rear.

Braking is mainly at the front so it's a good idea to upgrade while replacing.

You have a wealth of choice out there.

CS can supply DBA at a good price. Don't make your choice based on colour tho, just match it to your driving style.

You won't need a disc more siuted to track driving when you don't do track work.

Give Mitz a call and he'll see you right.

Myself I have Dixcel discs (6 groove) which were sourced via Dixon at DMS Motorsport.

Braking is usually balanced 60% front and 40% rear.

Braking is mainly at the front so it's a good idea to upgrade while replacing.

You have a wealth of choice out there.

CS can supply DBA at a good price. Don't make your choice based on colour tho, just match it to your driving style.

You won't need a disc more siuted to track driving when you don't do track work.

Give Mitz a call and he'll see you right.

Myself I have Dixcel discs (6 groove) which were sourced via Dixon at DMS Motorsport.

So I take it that gold ones are not the same spec as the black ones? Thought it might be the same compound but just a different colour. Performance is my main goal, but more fast road with the rare use on track. Never been on a track day but looking to go on one this summer.

So I take it that gold ones are not the same spec as the black ones? Thought it might be the same compound but just a different colour. Performance is my main goal, but more fast road with the rare use on track. Never been on a track day but looking to go on one this summer.

Gold ones are drilled and grooved, black ones are grooved only.

The Ferodo DS2500 pads are a good choice too.

I think the black ones will suit you and save you £50 :)

Buy the absolute best brakes you can afford. Two-piece discs will save you weight at the exact place you need to be saving it, so a 1KG saving there is worth a 5KG saving anywhere else on the car (it's why light wheels are worth a fortune!). I would consider any extra cost very much money well spent.

I used the PF two-piece discs on mine and they were absolutely immense, however the DBAs would be my next choice if the PFs weren't available. Get the brake hoses done as well if you haven't already done so while you're there (very little extra labour needed) and some good fluid in there and it will make a huge difference to the car as a whole. If you can stop quicker then you can go quicker, and if you weigh less you can corner faster. :thumbs:

PF = Performance Friction right? Where could I find them?

PF are very, very good.....with a price tag to match

Performance Friction, UK

Carbon Metallic House

Wildemere Road

Banbury, Oxon OX16 3LU

http://www.uksales@performancefriction.com

Tel: +44(0) 1295 221 020

Fax:(0)1295 279711

TBH a bit OTT on a road car aren't they but if you have the cash then why not :thumbs:

TBH a bit OTT on a road car aren't they but if you have the cash then why not :thumbs:

I wouldn't say that at all, they are expensive but not OTT for road use. When you start getting into BBK stuff then that's overkill IMHO, but a seriously good set of discs and pads in OEM sizes aren't. :)

I wouldn't say that at all, they are expensive but not OTT for road use. When you start getting into BBK stuff then that's overkill IMHO, but a seriously good set of discs and pads in OEM sizes aren't. :)

I was just thinking price wise really, now that a Zed could be worth about £6k spending over £1k just on front disks & pads does seem overkill for me that's all unless, you regularly throw it round a track of course :thumbs:

I was just thinking price wise really, now that a Zed could be worth about £6k spending over £1k just on front disks & pads does seem overkill for me that's all unless, you regularly throw it round a track of course :thumbs:

Dave, have you sat down yet and totted up what you spent so far since buying the car itself (minus consumables of course)?

I have started to develop fits of amnesia as I know the total spent on mods is approaching purchase price of the car, so.....

Performance Friction Rotors in stock

Performance Friction Brake pads in stock (various compounds)

DBA T3 4000 series rotors in stock (1 piece)

DBA T3 5000 series rotors in stock (2 piece)

Ferodo DS 2500 pads in stock.

All good to go same/next day :thumbs:

Drop me a PM if I can help you further. :thumbs:

Alex :)

Dave, have you sat down yet and totted up what you spent so far since buying the car itself (minus consumables of course)?

I have started to develop fits of amnesia as I know the total spent on mods is approaching purchase price of the car, so.....

My only 'luxury' is the 1k I spent on my speakers and subs :blush:

I think you only get in to the territory you are talking about when you go for bodykits with the associated spraying and wheels etc... thats when it starts to get painful in the pocket :lol:

Most of mine has been consumables -

Exhaust was knackered after 72k, although I did buy 2 :blush:

Cats were corroded, got them welded then saw some 2nd hand Berks

Wheels & Calipers were in a sorry state so got powder coated

So apart from all the interior stuff most of which I have done myself I guess its the ICE & the upRev / plenum....

The old girl is having a bit of work done next week though :ninja:

Performance Friction Rotors in stock

Performance Friction Brake pads in stock (various compounds)

DBA T3 4000 series rotors in stock (1 piece)

DBA T3 5000 series rotors in stock (2 piece)

Ferodo DS 2500 pads in stock.

All good to go same/next day :thumbs:

Drop me a PM if I can help you further. :thumbs:

Alex :)

Already purchased.

2 piece dba discs and ferodo ds2500 pads.

now i need to get some hel brake lines. anybody got any idea which colour matches the gold calipers best?

You can't really see them unless you take the wheels off, mine are the standard silver I didn't know they did different colours :shrug:

They do make a nice difference to the feel of the brakes :thumbs:

[i was just thinking price wise really, now that a Zed could be worth about £6k spending over £1k just on front disks & pads does seem overkill for me that's all unless, you regularly throw it round a track of course :thumbs:

Good point, but then you could also argue it's actually a £30K car so parts should be looked at in that aspect.

My trouble is that I see so many people pouring £5K+ into the car to make it heavier and slower by adding all the pretty bits, and that makes me die a little inside :(:lol:

now i need to get some hel brake lines. anybody got any idea which colour matches the gold calipers best?

You can't really see them unless you take the wheels off, mine are the standard silver I didn't know they did different colours :shrug:

^^^This. Get the plain ones.

Without realising it, Dave, you have just answered another question for me ;)

I am also having hel lines fitted when the other stuff is being done :thumbs: