Rusty Wheel Help!!!

dunc1n1101

Hey guys,

Checks out the photo attached. Its my Zed's back wheel. As you can see its mega rusted!!! Most of the wheels are like this!!! Is there any way that I can scrub the rust off and make the look good again??? Any special equipment I can buy?..... Anything??? Or am I just going to have to buy new discs???

Any help with this wheels situation would be amazing!!

Thanks in advance guys

Dunc1n

Hey guys,

Checks out the photo attached. Its my Zed's back wheel. As you can see its mega rusted!!! Most of the wheels are like this!!! Is there any way that I can scrub the rust off and make the look good again??? Any special equipment I can buy?..... Anything??? Or am I just going to have to buy new discs???

Any help with this wheels situation would be amazing!!

Thanks in advance guys

Dunc1n

Dunc1n, are you referring to the corrosion on the wheels or the ‘hat’ on the brake discs… :)

Is there any way that I can scrub the rust off and make the look good again??? Any special equipment I can buy?..... Anything??? Or am I just going to have to buy new discs???

Any help with this wheels situation would be, like, totally amazing man!!

Dunc1n

wire_brush.jpg

hammeritegood.jpg

fonzgood.jpg

Sorry folks, forgot to add the pic.....

Here it is now...

Cheers

what wheels are they and how big are they? they make the disc and caliper look lost. i think its the wheels that make the disc hat look bad as its so easy to see.

as said above, wire brush and hammerite are your friend :thumbs: mine need a similiar treatment so your not on your own.

Bit confused here? The wheels are alloy which does not rust? The bolts can rust as they are steel. The inner wheel hub will rust as its steel. So remove wheel, clean inside with a rag and something like wash and wax - an old tooth brush is ideal. Failing that maybe some t-cut on the toothbrush. The hub would need treating with a wire brush first as mentioned, then something like smoothrite ( hammerite flakes off) or similar.

I use Por metal ready rust remover and cleaner for surface rust, dissolves rust then coats with zinc.

Hope this helps?

Yeah the car is a JDM import.

Thee wheels are 19s..... or 20s, I cant remember, they were on the car when I bought it. I have attached another photo.

As you can see I am needing new centre caps caps too as mine are gone!!! Im really struggling to find decent centre caps on the net, AND I have no idea what size centre caps to get!!! haha!! As you guys can guess, Im a total noob when it comes to this modding business! ha!!

Cheers

The tyres look all wrong too - are they stretched to buggery?

Call the Zed police, more crimes against cars :surrender:

You can see why a brembo upgrade is quite popular thats for sure !

i think even brembo's would look lost in there, those wheels need a BBK

haha, ok after those comments I reckon I need a whole new set of brakes!!!!

Unfortunately I cant afford to spend too much on brakes right now! Can anyone advise on what to do here??? Maybe just buy larger "standard" discs??? Dunno how that would look?!?! Bearing in mind that the set up will just be for a few months until I can afford the full upgrade to a decent kit.

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks folks

haha, ok after those comments I reckon I need a whole new set of brakes!!!!

Unfortunately I cant afford to spend too much on brakes right now! Can anyone advise on what to do here??? Maybe just buy larger "standard" discs??? Dunno how that would look?!?! Bearing in mind that the set up will just be for a few months until I can afford the full upgrade to a decent kit.

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks folks

no need for new brakes for now, just clean the bell housings on the discs and paint them.

personally the easiest way to fix the overall look would be to change the wheels to ones that aren't so open and a 2nd hand set of brembo's.

no need for new brakes for now, just clean the bell housings on the discs and paint them.

personally the easiest way to fix the overall look would be to change the wheels to ones that aren't so open and a 2nd hand set of brembo's.

I was kinda hoping you guys wouldnt say to change the wheels, as I do really like them!! lol

Would you not even reccommend buying new larger discs (just standard ones)?? As I do agree that the discs look a bit small.

Cheers