Throttle body and maf

Mrdeli

Hi everyone. Well I did the iPod tape hack today and also replaced the plugs.

I've been reading up on cleaning the maf sensor and throttle body.

Can you advise whether the following sounds about right?

1. Maf: disconnect from the inlet pipe and spray wires with cleaner.

2. Throttle body. Disconnect neg from battery, then harness from TB. Remove inlet pipe from TB, then remove screws holding TB on. Once removed clean with TB cleaner. I understand that care is needed, but the flap can be moved manually when cleaning. Reassemble.

Any advise or comments appreciated

Thanks mark.

I would spray the maf with the cleaner not the wires? Make sure its proper maf cleaner though and just spray and let it dry itself. dont touch or dry it with anything.

Yes you can do that but its pretty hard and limited space. Once finished cleaning do the throttle reset. video here.

Had anyone used Seafoam Deep Creep - it seems to work without the need to remove the throttle body.

As a matter of interest, how long has it taken to:

A. Remove the throttle body

B. Clean the throttle body

Also are any replacement gaskets or the like needed,

Thanks.

No you dont need to change the gaskets unless you damage them...unlikely though. I would/have used contact cleaner to clean the fine wire on the MAF hot wire sensor..personally would keep away from carb cleaner as its too harsh. I would also recommend you check that the plug and socket connections are not corroded...and give them a clean. One issue with pretty much all the engine management sensors is they are low voltage so susceptible to poor contact.

Thanks for that - I have ordered crc sensor cleaner for the maf, which from what I have read is the best stuff. I'm going to order a specific throttle body cleaner for the TB, but am unsure as yet which one to go for. I think I'm pretty lucky with my Z as everything under the bonnet is corrosion free. One thing I have noticed is that I filled up with Tesco 99 Ron, and that night left the negative disconnected and I swear she is running even better ;)

• Like 1

Cleaned the MAF today. (79000 miles)

It really was a 10 minute job. Used crc sensor cleaner.

Removing the maf is just two screws. On inspection the maf seemed clean.

A few sprays later, a few mins to dry off and then back in.

Expecting nothing, I was surprised to find the engine definitely smoother.

Effort v benefit - a definite no brainier.

Throttle body on the weekend - bit more cautious about that one!! Wish me luck.

Cheers all mark.

• Like 1

I really dont know what the fuss is with cleaning the TB?

I use white spirit with a paint brush and do both sides and move the butterfly valve to clean the wall as some gunk always sits there. I then do the TB reset and the car always starts with no issues. I have never cleaned the MAF sensor before so will give it a go :thumbs:

In anycase the Breather pipe spews most of the blowby oil into the intake plenum so if you can to clean this up for good then get a baffled oil catch on the breather side and or the PCv for the perfect combo B)

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Dont give us that OAP driving lark ;) we know that you cant control your right foot what with all those awesome roads up there ;)

Lol yeh but i thought id try an mpg test... filled the tank up , reset trip meter and trying to make it last a week! The missus said if i manage it she will fill up my tank next week! :) started yesterday and already down to half a tank with only 122miles on the clock!? Or maybe its km but still doesnt it seem abnormal? @.@)/

Guess it depend where you drive. I use mine for comuting and a tank can last 300+ miles. But its all Dual carriageways until the last few miles in town.

My trip meter shows an average MPG of 25.8 over 3 months of the same journeys.

Dont give us that OAP driving lark ;) we know that you cant control your right foot what with all those awesome roads up there ;)

Lol yeh but i thought id try an mpg test... filled the tank up , reset trip meter and trying to make it last a week! The missus said if i manage it she will fill up my tank next week! :) started yesterday and already down to half a tank with only 122miles on the clock!? Or maybe its km but still doesnt it seem abnormal? @.@)/

Sounds like you have dirty fuel gauge floats, check this out:-

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/54763-how-to-fix-the-inaccurate-fuel-gauge/ :)

Really? but my car only has 13000km on it, im going to try 55mph in 6th instead as previously i was trying 70mph. But what does cleaning the maf do? and would spark plug flooding with oil upto the top of sparkplug serious or will it just burn off?