Anybody get married abroad?

AK350Z

Liams got the right idea :lol: Albeit with a budget about 10 times ours!

The main problem seems to be the costs in england seem to spiral out of control very quickly, even if you just have a handful of guests, don't know what it's like in scotland you can get married anywhere can't you?

I know a great place not to far from you, you can come try it out in about 8 weeks ;):lol: None of this £100+/head crap either, good food and venue at a reasonable price. Helps having an event organiser as a fiancee (and shes only 10% over budget, and within contigency!)

You didn't seriously think that the contingency wouldn't get used did you???? :lol:

No I expected it to go into her contingency, but I tell her one value and save for another real value entirely. Just like when you need to go out at 7pm, you tell her she needs to be ready at 6:00-6:30pm ;) We're now into the period where everyone needs paying and its already been save for, quite chuffed that non of it is going to be on the tick or credit card, and its too late to add anything else now. All paid for before the day :#1:

Anything thats left from the real contingency at the end is a bonus for the honeymoon/car/etc :lol:

I got married a few years ago in Jamaica... flew a few close friends and family out and it still cost a fraction of what a medium sized wedding in the UK would cost (and it didn't rain haha)

I highly recommend it to anyone silly enough to be thinking of getting married :lol: just kidding... marrage is a beautiful thing of course :yuck:

Hi

We got married in Hawaii in 2006.

It was great, and much more intimate than a wedding over here IMO.

We basically picked a destination as far away from England as possible to keep away all the usual family hangers on!

I was lovely as we had a very peaceful ceremony on a pagoda garden in the mountains (where they filmed "Lost")

Afterwards we all went back to the beach hotel for eats and drinks.

I got to spend time with all the guests, and for me, much less stressful!

It’s worth pointing out that this was just the wedding the full "Do" included the honeymoon too, which in typical fashion we did first!

So to summarise the full itinerary

I took 4 weeks off work.

Flew in to Seattle airport hired a car and we both toured the west coast of North America. Took in Vancouver, Portland, LA, Vegas & San Fran to name but a few. From San Fran we flew to Hawaii and got married and relaxed for a week on the island and then flew home!

We spared no expense, on the hire car(s), wedding venues, Hotels around the US & Canada etc. (Bev even had two wedding bespoke wedding dresses) and obviously two rings!

Total cost - Less than £12,000

Hope this helps

T

I took 4 weeks off work.

Flew in to Seattle airport hired a car and we both toured the west coast of North America. Took in Vancouver, Portland, LA, Vegas & San Fran to name but a few. From San Fran we flew to Hawaii and got married and relaxed for a week on the island and then flew home!

We spared no expense, on the hire car(s), wedding venues, Hotels around the US & Canada etc. (Bev even had two wedding bespoke wedding dresses) and obviously two rings!

Hope this helps

T

Should have told Amanda this before we booked the wedding in this country, so sounds wicked B)

Got married in Italy in Umbria

It was absolutely Fab. Because of the venue which we had for three days it kept the numbers small (34) which we wanted. We sorted most of the stuff out ourselves with some help from the venue owner who was a star, as the tiny hilltop village we got married in had no english speaking staff and they had only done one other foreign wedding before. So he did sort some stuff out that side with the town hall, also he sorted car, photographers, flowers, hair salon. We had to get all documents translated into italian and also had to make a trip to the british consulate in Florence.

The good thing for us about having the wedding abroad is that it did force the numbers to be small, so keeping the costs down. Everyone who came had a 3 day holiday and some chose to stay on. The location had plenty of flight options from Rome/Pisa. Total cost inc Honeymoon was £13k. We did make some good savings I have to say due to the Venue owner.

One thing to check if you do decide to get married abroad is how long to you need to be in the country before you can get married and also whether its deemed legal in this country. For instance, France, you have to be there for 28 days before the wedding. You can have a ceremony but you wont actually be married if you did it before.

I took 4 weeks off work.

Hope this helps

T

Should have told Amanda this before we booked the wedding in this country, so sounds wicked B)

It was quite the adventure :drive1

We'll have to make do with the Lake District and 10 days in Mauritius and Dubai :teeth:

It's a hard life eh?

We're making do with a holiday in France that Frans not too bothered about and, errr, thats it! hehe.gif

We'll have to make do with the Lake District and 10 days in Mauritius and Dubai :teeth:

It's a hard life eh?

We're making do with a holiday in France that Frans not too bothered about and, errr, thats it! hehe.gif

Passportes :yahoo::lol:

It'd be cheaper than the wedding me and Helen just booked in the UK! :lol:

Other than that, I don't know much about foreign weddings. Think they are only an issue if ou want to get divorced and remarried in later life. The church take a poor view on the fact you didn't get married in a church in the first place.

I'm sure that won't be an issue for you and Fran!

I feel for you mate, I am going through a similar thing with Laura. We looked into going abroad, prob Australia but she has a big family and wants them there on the big day.. so we are now having the big white wedding :surrender: Dont get me wrong I am quite looking forward to it but I had nooooooooooo idea how much these blooming thigs cost :surrender::surrender: But hey ho we are doing it so gonna do it right... (he says with his head in his hands) :lol:

Andy would you consider a nice beach in Scotland... just have to try and time the one day a year we get of sunshine ;):lol:

Similar story to others but to add another case study. Rebecca and I lived in France, I proposed in a Chateau in the Loire Valley. We moved back to the UK soon after and decided to go back to the Chateau to get married. Turns out like other countries you need to live there etc or reside for four weeks prior to the marriage.

We looked into a legally binding marriage in Morocco which one company said was doable, but cost wise was getting stupid.

So we did the registry office in the UK, then had a blessing in France at the Chateau done by a local drunken vicar who was a dead ringer for Sven Goran Eriksson. All good fun but have to say, the registry office in Richmond was much more enjoyable...

Son no.1 got married in Dominican Republic at the Secrets Hotel ... it was just fabulous! ... and cost guests about £3000 per couple for two weeks all inclusive ... great climate for a February wedding :thumbs:

My daughter is getting married next year. She has opted for a Wedding in the UK and not abroad. The main reason is that family and friends can attend. Having a wedding abroad is great if that is what you want.

I went to my Niece's last year in Cyprus. Nice venue, lovely people. The trouble is, not everyone could afford to go. Having an evening party when you get back is an option but it is not the same.

A wedding day is great to enjoy with family and friends. :drunk::snack:

Jayne and I decided to have a small wedding and wanted to go away. 50 friends and family are coming! :lol::lol::lol: Some notable family and friend absences however you have to live with it when you decide to go away.

We weren't into the 'all inclusive' thing. It really is not my idea of fun at all so that ruled out most resorts that are in brochures.

Col: Yes, I see you must be in France for 28 days prior to the wedding! In Mexico its 3, much more reasonable :lol:

Stew, as many miles as we are from sorting anything out, the all inc option does look very temping from here ;) Numbers wise, we can get away with 10 or 12 people quite easily I would have thought, which is one reason why there's no point having a big expensive venue when there are so few guests.

Col: Yes, I see you must be in France for 28 days prior to the wedding! In Mexico its 3, much more reasonable :lol:

Stew, as many miles as we are from sorting anything out, the all inc option does look very temping from here ;) Numbers wise, we can get away with 10 or 12 people quite easily I would have thought, which is one reason why there's no point having a big expensive venue when there are so few guests.

The all inclusive is FAR cheaper than doing what we are doing that's for sure.

Two people I know have been married in Cuba.

Two people I know have been married in Cuba.

Last time i checked, you needed two people to get married!

Kat and i have been looking into getting married abroad, but again seems lots of places need you to reside there.

Italy you don't! we are looking there!