Bad back - my zed is the cause?! :-(

marzman

If you cannot see yourself doing non competitive excessive then try to compete against the image of you in a wheelchair cos you wouldn't excercise.

Your health is the only most single thing you have, so make an effort and be bothered.

:clap: Good point mate.

:wheelchair:

A very significant proportion of my wife's adult life has been very badly affected because she didn't have the right advice before and following 2 major back operations years ago. In fact, had she had the advice and help she is receiving now, I believe she wouldn't have needed the operations. Because she had those operations her options are much more limited than they would have been going forwards.

It may not be that exciting but if you can get the right physio (ie. one who really understands the physiology of the spine and all the specific interactions in detail) and the right Pilates instructor, this could change your life considerably. The longer you leave it the more complex and difficult it gets.

As it happens my wife's physio is also the physio for one of the British Sports teams - so there is a competitive element (!) - ie. what he expects from her, which is total commitment despite her limitations.

Do you want the Rav then :shrug:

Im alright mate cheers... :thumbs:

I think im gonna see out the summer in the zed and then probably get a Range in the Autumn. Been having a look and they're pretty cheap... might even go for a petrol as i dont think i'd be keeping it long, i just have to scratch the itch.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

Is it the seat that gets you or the bump? Some coilevers with soft settings should work then? Also try riding in a uk z I was told the dampers are softer but not sure :thumbs:

The car's comfy when im sat in it... i think its the getting in and out that does me in...

i found that the zeds driving posisition used to set my hip off, i was fine in the MR2 roadster, the S2000 both had less substantial seats. But in the Zed it didn't matter what i tweeked the seating to i could never stop my hip going funny on a long drive.

If you wanted comfort for you back i must say the Jag seats in the XK are possible some of the most comfy i've sat in. not alot of lateral G support but it doesn;t tend to bother me when it feels like your in an arm chair. i drove it back from edinburgh to suffolk and could quiet happily have turned round and driven all the way back.

taking this in to thinking, i've heard that merc seats are on a similiar par when you look at the higher end cruisers like the CLK500s or CL500's etc my guess is some of the bigger BMW's would probably be the same comfort.

I feel your pain Chris.......literally!

From what you posted you seem to suspect either the stopping cycling or the zed as the cause.

Hopefully gradually getting active again will give you the relief.

If not I hope a seat change is all you need.

I kept putting off a visit to the doctor for my back pain but thankfully it's 99% gone this past year. At it's worst i couldn't sleep without ibuprofen and once it took me 20 min to get out of my seat at the cinema so I can kind of sympathise.

All started after a long break from excercise then training and stretching too hard too fast.

A long course of ibuprofen and gradually excercising again shifted it. Short doses and it would go........I'd train too hard and pain crept back and so it would yoyo back and forth.

So try to get back into training gradually and gently. I still feel it start to creep back if I go a week of inactivity where it aches all day but strangely disappears after going training.

Really hope the zed isn't to blame as your journey to obtaining your dream zed has been such a long and committed one.

I have a dodgy back too. A degenerative condition and an extra bone in my spine. I actually agree with those that have commented on the seat in the Zed being very comfy. I find them really good and the heated part is good too. For me i think the problem could well be the stiffer suspension and perhaps the getting in and out rather than the seats themselves.

Well, if its any consolation, I get similar issues when i get in and drive my Merc, massive pains in my right leg, buttock( as said by Forest Gump) and in the base of my spine. Anyother car, Fine.

My Mrs says, its cos I want another zed :doh:

Well, if its any consolation, I get similar issues when i get in and drive my Merc, massive pains in my right leg, buttock( as said by Forest Gump) and in the base of my spine. Anyother car, Fine.

Lol its sympathy zed pains is it then :teeth:

I think so Will, last meet we had, I had to stop and get outta the car, unknowingly the pub was 30 seconds further down the road, but I was in so much pain, I had watery eyes......If only........zedzzzZZZZZzzzzzzz :cloud9:

Lol its sympathy zed pains is it then :teeth:

Have you tried changing the way you get into and out of the Zed? Don' t know how you enter/exit now but if you are the "1 leg in, shift bum into seat and bring other leg in" type for car entry, why not try with both legs together, feet on the road to first put your behind into the seat with your back facing into the car and then swivel/rotate both legs into the footwell. Seems to put less stress on the lower back using this method. Seat itself is very comy for me but I have a JDM roadster with the mesh centre portion which I find really comfy and hugging. Mind you I have been told I have a ahem "generous booty" so YMMV :thumbs: Hope you find a solution that works for you mate and that you're pain free soon.

• 9 months later...

Marzman, I bought a 350z in April this year and at about the same time I started to experience bad pain in my lower back. I thought it was just a coincidence, but the last 10 days I was in central America driving a Mitsubishi pajero and I noticed that my back is now fine. Hence I am thinking about replacing the seats but thought I'd 1st search the internet to see if it's a known problem with the seats and here I am. My question is, have replaced the seats or bought a new car? If you got new seats, which ones and did it solve the problem?

I had lower pack pain some years ago caused by a Citroen Xantia car seat and was told that it was caused (in my case) by having my hips lower than my knees. This seat had no base adjustment at all. As soon as I discovered this and avoided seats that put me in that position my back issues virtually disappeared. I did find that buying a car with a seat base height/level adjuster helped enormously as I find the best position for me is to have the seat base horizontal and not dipping away at the hips, so the Zed was a bit of a concern andt it works for me but I'm not that tall. I have also developed an eye for other seating that can cause that problem and often ask for restaurant seats to be changed if the base of the seat is angled downwards to the back of the chair, airport seats like these are a complete no no:-

4628877-angled-view-of-a-row-of-airport-seats_zps0f2c59b7.jpg

Hope this helps others a bit :surrender:

Marzman, I bought a 350z in April this year and at about the same time I started to experience bad pain in my lower back. I thought it was just a coincidence, but the last 10 days I was in central America driving a Mitsubishi pajero and I noticed that my back is now fine. Hence I am thinking about replacing the seats but thought I'd 1st search the internet to see if it's a known problem with the seats and here I am. My question is, have replaced the seats or bought a new car? If you got new seats, which ones and did it solve the problem?

Hi mate,

I decided that it was down to how i get in and out of the car that was causing my pain... i tend to get in and out very quickly, contorting my body just to save a few seconds. I've made a concious effort to get out in a more controlled manner and it seemed to solve my problem i think.

Is the zed comfortable for you on long journeys? I drive a lot for work, but usually use my other car to keep the miles off my zed. However after 2 hours my lower back starts to ache. When in the Zed though i can drive for 10 hours straight and not suffer any pain at all.

It's usually customers with Lotus Elise's that get bad backs / slipped discs from the twisting and dropping into the seat. Any car you drop and twist into the seat isn't best for your back to be fair! I also fint the standard 350Z seats don't have adequate Lumbar support.

If it gets worse get a BMW or any car you don't fight getting in or out of :thumbs:

alot of cars have their faults for passanger being in pain, as their all designed around the average human with little adjustments you can do yourself.

Zed gave me back issues until i changed seating position so that i am upright, the bottom of my back touching the seat too instead of slouching (which is comfier for short journeys)

Then i got knee problems and have had for a year or so, but thats due to the clutch being so bloody heavy and due to my gangley legs, in traffic it doesnt help with the angle. But hopefully get it a bit lighter (if its possible) soon.

Change seating position so all ur back touches the seat. Thats only advice i can give really, not sure if its a cure but it sorted me out