Capello Quits

spursmaddave

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol:

Back on topic, just heard this from David Berstein, FA Chairman, regarding appointing Capello's successor:

"We have to do it properly and get shortlist together - we will certainly be including wishes of the fans, who are very important to us,"

:bang:

DON'T LISTEN TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC YOU BUNCH OF CRETINOUS MONGS, APPOINT SOMEONE YOU THINK IS BEST! The public, by and large, are complete idiots and shouldn't be trusted with anything, so ignore them. The people running the FA are supposed to know better than anyone how to run football in England, so I would hope they would have a better idea than Joe Bloggs on what makes a good football manager.

Of course, they also chose Capello, and the Wally, and Sven... Maybe they should just listen to us after all. ;)

As a Pompey supporter I'd like to say that I think Mr Redknapp is of a very loyal nature and SpursDave has nothing to worry about.

S.

Said without a hint of bitterness :dummy:

I would have no problem with him taking the England job, it would be perceived as a step up and who could fault anyone on that? Much in the same way as leaving Pompey and coming to a much bigger club was a step up ;)

Hopefully it won't happen until the summer if it does at all :shrug:

Redknapp is an odd character, a couple of months before he walked out on west ham he claimed he would never walk out on west ham. Even after he left there was a photo of him in front of the gates to upton park saying he could never manage another club...Pompey, Saints, Pompey again then Spurs :dry:

Can't blame the guy, he loves football, he loves his job, but take anything he says with a pinch of salt, hes a compulsive liar.

Agreed about the liar, viz admission in trial to Rob Beasley.

The press play a huge role in this, have been on a Capello out agenda since before last world cup and I don't think they have properly questioned the FA's role in the stripping of Terrys captaincy without involving Capello (can you imagine that at at any premier league club), even though i agree with the outcome, the manager HAS to have some input, so therefore a little sympathy for Capello tempered by the £24m he's picked up over the last few years!

The press love HR, like they loved Venables (same street wise londoners), but remember how they turned on Hoddle once "the karma" issue gave them an excuse to get stuck into him, and how vitrioloic they became to Sven and Capello ( i know we didn't win anything but with likes of Wiltshere, Jones, Young, kyle Walker etc Capello had started a transition). I suspect a few things still in Rednapps closet to come out, but it doesn't suit them at the moment like they glossed over Venables buisness dealings and his surrendering all directorships for a few years to avoid director disqualification proceedings. got the feeling they protect certain characters almost as one of them.

V. interesting turn of events all started by Terrys alleged comments. I think the FA made the right decision to strip him of captaincy, but went about it the wrong way. New start , hopefully England will move on without the ego and over hype of Terry the player (best years behind him), Jones, Smalling Jagielka and Cahill all capable of filling his boots

As much as Terry is an awful person, he is a better player centrally than most options we have still. His best years are behind him, but I still see at this point in time him as good as if not better than Jones, Smalling and Jags. Dawson's appearances for England have been catastrophic, maybe they were just bad days. Cahill is a class act, like him and he should be first name on the team sheet in defence. The big concern is the decline of Ferdinand I think, someone who made defending look so easy and never really got credit for how good he has been for nigh on a decade. As Di Canio said of him at West Ham he was the most difficult centre back he has ever trained against bar none, including his time in Italy with their.

Defensively I think we are pretty poor anyway at the moment, will Redknapp sort out the defensive issues? Remember 'arry you can't bung a few quid at someone and just buy someone, what you have is what you got. It will be a good test of his tactical ability rather than relying on spending huge amounts of money - I remember at West Ham he was 'bobbins' tactically :lol:

Does anyone else literally find it embarressing to be English when you look at the footy team?

I despise the lot of them and I truly hope that they get knocked out of the world cup as quickly as possible because if thats what kids are supposed to view as success and role models then god help us!

Does anyone else literally find it embarressing to be English when you look at the footy team?

We don't have the talent. Let's face it we only have 3 world class players, Rooney whose temper often gets the best of him, Gerrard, injury prone and not the player he was in 2006 and Lampard, well past his best, the rest are fairly ordinary TBH. It's always been this way for England, 2 or 3 class players the rest just making up the numbers and it doesn't really matter to me who the manager is, it won't make England into a team of world beaters. Redknapp who is 65 or so would be a fool to take this job on when he's doing so well at club level.

Pete

We don't have the talent. Let's face it we only have 3 world class players, Rooney whose temper often gets the best of him, Gerrard, injury prone and not the player he was in 2006 and Lampard, well past his best, the rest are fairly ordinary TBH. It's always been this way for England, 2 or 3 class players the rest just making up the numbers and it doesn't really matter to me who the manager is, it won't make England into a team of world beaters. Redknapp who is 65 or so would be a fool to take this job on when he's doing so well at club level.

Pete

And of those 3;

1. is a granny shagging adulterous balding little tretcherous turd (said like a true Everton Fan).

2. is an adulterous astroturf headed DJ assaulting, badge kissing (shortly after being offered more money than the next team along were offering) scum-weasle (said like a true Everton Fan!)

Pete

much as he is an other poor character, i would say that Ashley Cole is world class and Joe Hart is nearly there.

Can't see how any manger can take both Terry and Ferdinand though

Well, maybe take them as morale in the dressing room but certainly don't play them. We've had years of the so-called Golden Generation who have won nothing, and while I'm not saying that they're not great players (because Gerrard, Terry, Rio, Cole, Lampard etc clearly are) there's clearly no point sticking with them. Let's take a leaf out of Germany's book and accept a few years of (more) rubbish in order to build a team that can really compete in the next WC.

The trouble is that any half decent English player now gets transferred for £20-30m gets £100k a week and thinks they are a superstar... Carroll or Henderson anyone?

The likes of those 2 and Barry / Milner / G.Johnson earning that sort of money and costing those fees is just rediculous...

I know this is a car forum but I'm quite astounded by some peoples media blinkered opinion and lack of knowledge of english football and our countries law.

The fundamental principle that our countries law is built on is; Innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

Not Innocent until the media decides he's guilty, or anyone else for that matter. His past behaviour or whether is a likeable chap or not, has nothing to do with it.

The difference between this case and the Luis Suarez case is all important here. In the case of terry, the complainant, is not Anton Ferdinand or even QPR, it's a random guy who was sat at home watching the game on TV and was offending by what he 'allegedly' saw John Terry say to Anton Ferdinand. He reported it to the Police and the Police has a duty of care to follow it up. After the game, Terry was in the QPR changing room and shook hands with Ferdinand amoungst other players. There was no complaint from Ferdinand or QPR, it all has been driven by the guy who initiated the complaint. Because this is now a criminal issue, the FA cannot issue any sort of punishment such as a ban or a fine like they did Suarez. It's because of this that they has stepped way outside their remit by removing the captaincy from Terry, as this is punishing him for something that he is yet to be convicted of. He may have been charged, but that means nothing. Harry Redknapp was charged with Tax Evasion, but he proved his innocence this week in a court of law and now he is back to being the nations favourite.

In the case of Suarez, the complainant was Evra himself, and he reported it to the FA directly, therefore they could deal with it directly, hence the 8 game ban. Personally, as a black Liverpool fan, I was disgusted by the booing of Evra. All he did was report Suarez.

The FA were hoping that the Terry case would be taking place before Euro 2012 which would therefore take the decision out of their hands. If found guilty then they could have, stripped him of the captaincy and banned him from playing for England, and rightly so. if found innocnet then they wouldn't have to do anything.

The twist has come from Terry barristers who pushed hard for a date after the Euro's so that terry could take part. This was based on the assumption that he is innocent until proven guilty, therefore the the FA couldn't and wouldn't do anything about it. This has triggered a chain of events that led to the FA feeling that they needed to step in do something. They then undermined Capello by interefering with player selection, therefore Capello had to walk to maintain his professional reputation and dignity. This could further backfire on Terry as he has now lost an allie in Cappello. Any new manager may decide that Terry is not worth the trouble, and not even take him to the Euro's. I would assume that a huge part of the selection process will be driven by how any of the candidates intend to approach the Terry issue (see here already - http://www.teamtalk.com/news/2483/75005 ... inder-Guus ). Any candidates that insist on choosing Terry and reinstating him as Captain will be given short shrift and shown the door. This is why i can't see HR taking the job until after the Euro's. Would Harry want the job if he can't actually pick the team or captain he wants?

Well said, can't stand it when the media/pundits say the FA should have dealt with this by now. They can't because that could prejudice the criminal action.

Not sure if removing Terry was outside their remit or not, suspect probably not, but failure to involve Capello meant he felt his position had been undermined and was therefore intenable. Guess they came to a compromise (£1.5 m) poss. to avoid any constructive dismissal action. That said, it was the right decision, guilty or not, it would have been too much of a distraction and focus to have him captain for the euros. It would be like Cameron continuing to employ Coulson (and hes not even been charged)

Think it was Chelseas lawyers (as Terrys employers), that applied for delay in court date.

Note that the press have already started to crucify any opposition to HR by raking up old stuff about Pearce with a racist twist... see The Sun. If HR does get the job, interesting to see how long his honeymoon with the press lasts, if he doesn't the press will already be sharpening the knives for the new encumbent. A poisoned chalice

The big problem is that somewhere around 60-70 english players start a game in any given premier league weekend. Out of these roughly half have no hope of ever making the team because they are just nowhere near good enough (not singling anyone out, but for example Jack Colback from Sunderland).

You're then left with something like 30-35 players from whom you're choosing a squad of 23. There really is no choice in players whatsoever with nobody really pushing to get into the team. You go look at teams like Argentina, Brazil, Spain and the rest of them and you'll see dozens of players who would walk into the England squad who are miles down in the pecking order.

In addition, all the recent events have meant that half the squad all seem to hate each other's guts. If they get out of the group, they're certainly not making it through to the semis.

Exactly the points I made earlier, although not so well :blush:

The most rediculous thing was the pundits on SSN talking about the Terry incident saying that nothing would happen unless a member of the public complained and guess what then happened!

If HR wants to leave Spurs to manage England fair enough but hopefully the way the FA have overstepped their mark will warn him off. It is interesting that Terrys own legal team seem to have cocked up his England team chances by delaying the case, but again that shows the arrogance of some high profile players.

Only thing I will say is that if a player 'chooses' to live his life in the media then they can't complain when the media turns on them.

Wonder if the ability to text and email will be on the job description... that rules out HR (according to his recent evidence)!!, apparently he hasn't even considered the possibility of being England manager.....right, yeah we all believe that

Will be interesting though to see if spurs try to stand in his way (if hes interested or offered) or if a part time role is a possibility. I think it would be a dilemma for him given the position he's got Spurs to.

Not sure its a dead cert at the moment

The key factor here is Harry's age. The FA stated yesterday that they would be looking for someone to take England to the WC in Brazil & Russia which is in 2018.

Harry is at the pinnacle of his career. If he takes the England job, would he get the chance after that to manage one of the top 6 teams? Doubtful. He's on the verge of getting Spurs to be title contenders for the next 2-3 years at least if they keep going. He would really have to want the job to leave Spurs imo........

Epic post Sarnie, although would disagree with some of the content...from what I read QPR did make an official complaint to the FA over the incident following discussions with Anton Ferdinand. Terry claimed that 'ten minutes after the match it was all sorted and they shook hands' which has not been coroborated by Ferdinand from what I have read. Which puts it in a different realm to a 'just' a complaint from a fan and as such the FA are involved. That said, I still don't think its the FAs decision, whilst the England manager is out the room, to decide on selection policy.