Should you get paid if you can't get to work because if the

spursmaddave

We pay employees if they can't get in or are sick or have to leave work early for whatever reason. In return they work late at short notice and without breaks if things go awry. Give and take and all that.

Similar for us, I dont mind a bit of lateness, time off for going to the doctors, dentist, taking the missus to the midwife etc etc... As long as the work gets done, and people dont take the p*ss, then I don't mind. The sales people also get paid extremely well too.

In return, even if its snowed a blizzard, they make the effort to get to work. One even walked 3 miles in the freezing cold last year just to get here and do her job. Sick days amongst 13 people in one year can be counted on one hand. Hopefully we are fair with them, and they are fair with us in return.

If they cant get to work because of the snow, then it is worth my time (and theirs) for me to take the 4x4 and pick them up and take them home. So that is what I would do. :)

We pay employees if they can't get in or are sick or have to leave work early for whatever reason. In return they work late at short notice and without breaks if things go awry. Give and take and all that.

Thats exactly how my company operates..... and it has worked well for all of us so far. :)

Tbh it's probably a bit different for us as there's only 7 of us altogether, and three of us are related too. I guess that makes things a bit easier, but the other guys are as much our friends as they are our employees and we all get stuck in together through the good & bad times. I guess our relaxed approach wouldn't work in a company of 250+ as you'd get stuck with the p*ss takers, but no-one here is like that at all. Wouldn't last long if they were!

If you are self employed where the money only comes in if you go work yourself you do somehow make it. My dad is in his sixties and he worked over the weekend, he's a car mechanic - so not only does he have to drive in it he has to climb under cars and work outside in it, and he was, the phone went mad last week.

Like I said previously, these people decided the night before watching the snow fall out the window 'ah ha can look forward to a paid day off tomorrow and go play in the snow with the kids or have a lie in' - premeditated bunking off.

Nobody has ever been snowed out of a pub!

I've been snowed in a pub Friday night to Sunday afternoon though.

There's a pub in the hills above LLangollen that when the snow is bad more people than usual head there as they know they will get a "snow in".

You are only allowed 3 days sick in 1 year. Any more and it comes out of your pay.

erm ..... isn't that contrary to employment law ?? (i'm no solicitor by the way :dummy: )

I know the company looked into it at the time and if i remember rightly by law you didnt have to pay any sick pay at all. Its entirely up to the company`s discretion. The employee can claim statuatory sick pay if they are off long term sick or something.

This is very true, people seem to think they are entitled to sick pay, yes they are, its called Statutory Sick Pay, anything else is voluntary by the company. We have a few employees that have abused the sick pay scheme and have been put on 3 day waiting, i.e. they NEVER get paid for the first 3 days sickness whatever and some have even been excluded from the sick pay scheme altogether for a period of time. One thought he was particularly clever and waited until a final warning ran out and then the next day went sick, he was excluded and even said the immortal line 'you HAVE to pay me sick pay it's the law' :lol:

On the flipside I have had so little time off I actually have almost 7 months of sick leave available which is comforting as if something serious happened I wouldn't have to worry about all the times I had a sniffle or it snowed a little bit....

No problems this year. Still cycling to work most of the time.

It's funny.. operational bods seem to make it in all the time, but the shiney arsed chair polishers seem to get stuck at home.. thing is, nobody notices. In fact it's quite nice not to be bothered by 'job-justifying' e-mails!

I live 5 miles from work.

- I cycle if it's is less than 20 odd MPH wind and not icy (coming off the bike badly would make me useless for work)

- I drive if I can't cycle

- If the car is stuck I can get the metro

- If the metro's off.. it's a 5 mile walk. I own coats and boots.

but the fact is the other guy actually walked PAST his house to get in and knows this driver and said that his drive / car / house was untouched by human hand so he had obviously decided that he wouldn't even attempt to try and get in.

Had to laugh at that. I remember a few years back when it was bad snow our finance director phoned in saying he was snowed in, and yet I had a much longer drive in than him and actually drove past his street in order to get in.

My mum has been known to do a shuttle run to collect her staff that cant get in when she can. Not bad for a 60y/o with rod/pins in one arm and arthritis in pretty much every joint! Couple of years back she even walked the few miles home as the numpties in Blazingsmoke couldnt drive properly, so she left her car at the side of the road and walked it :boxing: (that was the same night it took me 9hrs to get back from Slough!)

If I couldn't get in I would just VPN to my computer and work from home. It's a bit different if you have a role that requires you be in work physically.

The problem with that is that most of the companies ive worked for in the past, and even my current company frown on "working from home" - even though when I have worked from home in the past I find I get loads more done, due to less distractions.

Any fair employer should offer a duvet day in extreme weather conditions if the employer feels that their employees life is "at risk". :bounce:

B)

No problem with that as long as it's unpaid or taken out of your holiday allowance :thumbs:

Not too bleat on, I was working last january in Manchester and the temp was -18c. However, we were given a duvet day, paid, but not once did I ask for time off, or couldn't get to work.

Driving past Jodrell bank, there was an amazing hoar frost. It was beautiful..... B)