Loud high pitched squeak when starting car

HassanZ

Hi all,

Thought you may be able to help (hopefully!)

When I start the car and the revs go up momentarily (normal), I hear a loud high pitched squeak noise which disappears as the revs drop and stabilise. I cannot work out if it's from the engine bay or from the rear :wacko:

This has been happening every time I start the car for the past few days.

I would really appreciate it if somebody can please enlighten me :)

Many Thanks,

Hassan

Yeah belts, mine does this in the cold weather as well and I have replaced my belts about 5 months ago. If I leave the car outside when it freezes up it tends to squeal the first time I pull away so I guess the cold and damp play some part in the noise as if I leave it garaged it's Ok and doesn't make noise.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies!

Now that it's began to warm up (approx 10 degrees), the noise is still happening. On Friday I was driving at a high RPM (around 4k) and depressed the clutch and let go again so the revs dropped to idle point and catched back onto the initial 4k revs and I heard the loud squeal from the belts.

Is there anything else I should check? It definitely sounds like my belt as I've known people with bangers that suffered from the same noise.

Its the belts for sure, quite normal..if they are getting old replace them..(easy job) or simply tighten them up (very easy job). Often its because the alternator is having to work a bit harder this time of year (lights, rear screen etc) requiring a bit more tension on the drive belt to drive it. New belts are only about £20 a pair and it takes less than an hour to replace and tension them. I would be very surprised if it was anything else...good luck

Its the belts for sure, quite normal..if they are getting old replace them..(easy job) or simply tighten them up (very easy job). Often its because the alternator is having to work a bit harder this time of year (lights, rear screen etc) requiring a bit more tension on the drive belt to drive it. New belts are only about £20 a pair and it takes less than an hour to replace and tension them. I would be very surprised if it was anything else...good luck

Unless you have an SC - then the belt is miles long and looks like a plate of spaghetti when fitted!

So for the OP - check your belts but I'm hoping it's the mouse. :)

Temp fix is Talcum powder if it's the belts.

If it's the mouse, then leave a piece of cheese next to the Zed overnight, might cure it

Not so much tempory fix but more hide the problem because the talcum powder allows the belt to slip quietly by lubricating the pulley's...so you dont hear (or get the warning) the belts slipping. Anyways by the time you got the talc out you'd be half way to retensioning them.