Handbrake not holding on hills..

adam1942

I believe this is easy enough but it is your brakes - these are pretty important so if you have any doubts get it into a garage.

From memory there are small circular holes on the rear hub and inside this there are small cogs that tighten/loosen the handbrake.

Will not really improve, well known problem, check its adjusted to the relevant "clicks" on the hand brake then ignore that and place it in either forward gear if facing uphill and reverse if facing downhill, turning the front wheel into the kerb, then don't worry about it. My mechanic will tell you they have never repaced the handbrake drum discs on a 350z through wear.

Jeff

My 07 is the same. If the hill is more than just a slight slope the handbrake will just not hold it at all, even if its pulled up hard. I always make sure i leave it in gear.

Its always been like that since I got the car, but now with its MOT coming up im wondering if its likely to be a failure?

I agree its a common issue, my thoughts as to the reason are that the the size of the brake shoes that are actually on the inside of the rear discs are very small coupled with the fact that the 'drum' diameter is small... effectively the hub of the disc. so small drum, small shoes = poor handbrake, on the plus side the discs a great though!

My handbrake's been the same from new, so always left it in gear on a hill. My main dealer doesn’t adjust the handbrake when changing pads.

Last summer I did the pads and handbrake myself. I stripped the handbrake assembly instead of just adjusting it and was pleased I did. The reason was I was able to clean and lub where necessary but more importantly I found the handbrake shoes looked to be “glazed†over as did the brake drum. I wire brushed the pads and drum to rough them up and brake the glaze, reassembled, the handbrake's now tick idy boo :thumbs: .

By the way if you just keep pulling it on harder each time you'll end up needing new cabels as well :thumbdown:

My handbrake's been the same from new, so always left it in gear on a hill. My main dealer doesn’t adjust the handbrake when changing pads.

Last summer I did the pads and handbrake myself. I stripped the handbrake assembly instead of just adjusting it and was pleased I did. The reason was I was able to clean and lub where necessary but more importantly I found the handbrake shoes looked to be “glazed†over as did the brake drum. I wire brushed the pads and drum to rough them up and brake the glaze, reassembled, the handbrake's now tick idy boo :thumbs: .

By the way if you just keep pulling it on harder each time you'll end up needing new cabels as well :thumbdown:

Might have to have a go at that if i get some spare time.

• 1 month later...

I decided to have a play with this at the weekend did my best to adjust each drum, drivers side i got tight, passenger side didnt seem to want to get any tighter, slackened them off tightened up the handbrake, it feels better when parked (pulling away with the handbrake on seems harder, very scientific) tried it in a multistory carpark ramp and zero grip just rolled right back, popping it in the opposite gear did nothing either (im assuming all your doing is adding the engines weight to the wheels anyways)

So whats the next step? I cant believe I cant park on a hill or stop in traffic on a hill, Is it time to take the discs off and have a look in the drum? Any decent guides? as always the manual is vague in a detailed way :)

I agree its a common issue, my thoughts as to the reason are that the the size of the brake shoes that are actually on the inside of the rear discs are very small coupled with the fact that the 'drum' diameter is small... effectively the hub of the disc. so small drum, small shoes = poor handbrake, on the plus side the discs a great though!

+1 and well described :thumbs: , pull the drums off and then you'll realise that you'd have more resistance if trying to pull a hen of its nest.

when you say perfectly what sort of hills are we talking about? Mine holds on a gentle gradiant but if its multistorey carpark I just roll back to the bottom of the ramp fairly quickly!

Anything more than a gentle gradient has mine rolling away. I always have to remember to leave it in gear.

Interestingly, the car passed its MOT perfectly fine a few days ago, so I guess even though its fairly poor it must still be strong enough for the MOT.

when you say perfectly what sort of hills are we talking about? Mine holds on a gentle gradiant but if its multistorey carpark I just roll back to the bottom of the ramp fairly quickly!

When I say perfectly I mean that I can and have parked on the steepest possible hills using handbrake alone and the car is absolutely secure. :thumbs:

When I say perfectly I mean that I can and have parked on the steepest possible hills using handbrake alone and the car is absolutely secure. :thumbs:

cool now that sounds pretty good gives me hope It can be cleaned up and got working correctly, Im asusming they took the discs off and cleaned up the brake shoes etc nicely to get that level of performance?

cool now that sounds pretty good gives me hope It can be cleaned up and got working correctly, Im asusming they took the discs off and cleaned up the brake shoes etc nicely to get that level of performance?

No idea, but the car used to slip on the slightest gradient no matter how tightly I pulled the handbrake :) It was on a massive to-do list and when I picked the car up the handbrake worked like it should :teeth: