The sound of silence

Ekona

Okay, so this thread is really going to make me sound like a right old git, but I'm going to post it regardless! :lol:

From the start of this year, I haven't listened to a single bit of music in any vehicle I've driven. I got so sick of either modern crappy music (Radio 1, my usual station) and I also can't stand adverts (which rules out the otherwise quite good Absolute Radio), which just leaves the music I have on my iPhone. Nowt wrong with what's on there, but I'm a trifle board of listening to the same songs over and over on that so I've left it firmly in my pocket and turned any and all ICE firmly off. No big light shining from the centre console in any of my vehicles: Not the Porker, not the truck, not even the wife's Scooby when I drive it. All off.

And you know what? It's far more enjoyable. I don't have irritating radio presenters tattling on about some sh*t (Martin & Sue on Heart, I'm looking at you here) nor do I have to flick stations when pretty much anything from the Top 40 is on. More importantly I realised just how distracting it actually is having the music on in the background: My forward planning has improved markedly, and I'm now anticipating other drivers' movements far better that before. You also get to hear every little noise from your vehicle too, which in my case has lead to the discovery that my truck is actually quite a noisy place to be, and doesn't half make some odd noises from the engine bay! You guys will probably get some better sounds than me, having nice V6 petrol powerplants for your daily commute rather than a diesel lump like I have.

I find myself driving in a more relaxed manner too. I don't speed anyway so my max speed for any given road hasn't changed, but my movements are now more gentle and slower paced, and I'm giving myself much more time to make any overtakes or lane changes. It's a lovely experience, and it reminds me what driving must've been like before you could have ICE at all. Or if you own a Caterham.

It also gives you a lot more time to think, and my brain is a very strange place sometimes which has, on occasion, led to me having a full on argument with myself whilst pootling along! :lol: It's nice though, just having yourself for company at times and being able to have some time just to think things through properly.

I'm only a couple of weeks in so far, but as it stands I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would. I seem to arrive at work far more refreshed than previously, and I'm more alert when I get home. Seriously, give it a try, even if only for a week. I suspect you'll either enjoy it like I am, or find you'll enjoy the music much more once the week is up. :)

Okay, so this thread is really going to make me sound like a right old git, but I'm going to post it regardless! :lol:

From the start of this year, I haven't listened to a single bit of music in any vehicle I've driven. I got so sick of either modern crappy music (Radio 1, my usual station) and I also can't stand adverts (which rules out the otherwise quite good Absolute Radio), which just leaves the music I have on my iPhone. Nowt wrong with what's on there, but I'm a trifle board of listening to the same songs over and over on that so I've left it firmly in my pocket and turned any and all ICE firmly off. No big light shining from the centre console in any of my vehicles: Not the Porker, not the truck, not even the wife's Scooby when I drive it. All off.

And you know what? It's far more enjoyable. I don't have irritating radio presenters tattling on about some sh*t (Martin & Sue on Heart, I'm looking at you here) nor do I have to flick stations when pretty much anything from the Top 40 is on. More importantly I realised just how distracting it actually is having the music on in the background: My forward planning has improved markedly, and I'm now anticipating other drivers' movements far better that before. You also get to hear every little noise from your vehicle too, which in my case has lead to the discovery that my truck is actually quite a noisy place to be, and doesn't half make some odd noises from the engine bay! You guys will probably get some better sounds than me, having nice V6 petrol powerplants for your daily commute rather than a diesel lump like I have.

I find myself driving in a more relaxed manner too. I don't speed anyway so my max speed for any given road hasn't changed, but my movements are now more gentle and slower paced, and I'm giving myself much more time to make any overtakes or lane changes. It's a lovely experience, and it reminds me what driving must've been like before you could have ICE at all. Or if you own a Caterham.

It also gives you a lot more time to think, and my brain is a very strange place sometimes which has, on occasion, led to me having a full on argument with myself whilst pootling along! :lol: It's nice though, just having yourself for company at times and being able to have some time just to think things through properly.

I'm only a couple of weeks in so far, but as it stands I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would. I seem to arrive at work far more refreshed than previously, and I'm more alert when I get home. Seriously, give it a try, even if only for a week. I suspect you'll either enjoy it like I am, or find you'll enjoy the music much more once the week is up. :)

I stopped listening to Radio 1 about a year ago, although I now play music from my SD card in the stereo, but have it at a medium level. At such a level I drive normally without any hesitation.

If I was to turn the music OFF I end up enjoying the V6 and then my right foot gets excited. So for me the music calms me and reduces the V6 sound somewhat.

If I'm driving hard like AK says, the music is for sure OFF!!!

I stopped listening to Radio 1 about a year ago, although I now play music from my SD card in the stereo, but have it at a medium level. At such a level I drive normally without any hesitation.

If I was to turn the music OFF I end up enjoying the V6 and then my right foot gets excited. So for me the music calms me and reduces the V6 sound somewhat.

If I'm driving hard like AK says, the music is for sure OFF!!!

I have to agree to a certain degree with OP on this - I have a few CDs I have burnt off iTunes in the Zed but really only use it half the time. Most certainly recently in the morning driving to work its much better to have the sounds off, watch the sunrise in the distance and really just relax. Driving home though I tend to whack it on loud.

I have to agree to a certain degree with OP on this - I have a few CDs I have burnt off iTunes in the Zed but really only use it half the time. Most certainly recently in the morning driving to work its much better to have the sounds off, watch the sunrise in the distance and really just relax. Driving home though I tend to whack it on loud.

Got my Zed when I was 25 and used to really love driving around listening to loud music, but the more I learned about 'proper' driving, the less I wanted to listen to music. I'm 30 now and never listen to music in the Zed. I much prefer listening to the engine now and it also helps with heel and toe down shifting as I can hear the revs much better.

PS. I'm fully aware that the above statement makes me sound like a bit of a 'beard and pipe' sort of guy, but I don't care :lol:

Got my Zed when I was 25 and used to really love driving around listening to loud music, but the more I learned about 'proper' driving, the less I wanted to listen to music. I'm 30 now and never listen to music in the Zed. I much prefer listening to the engine now and it also helps with heel and toe down shifting as I can hear the revs much better.

PS. I'm fully aware that the above statement makes me sound like a bit of a 'beard and pipe' sort of guy, but I don't care :lol:

My radio preferences depend on what I'm doing usually. If its a cruise to some shopping outlet or other with the +1 then R1 is on as a bit of background noise. If I'm out on my own, its generally Stillen 5.1 surround sound with no music :bose:

My radio preferences depend on what I'm doing usually. If its a cruise to some shopping outlet or other with the +1 then R1 is on as a bit of background noise. If I'm out on my own, its generally Stillen 5.1 surround sound with no music :bose:

I turned off radio 1 when i was about 26... im now a solid radio 2 listener at 28. However in the zed i still like my music on full blast...

That said - whenever im going on a long drive in the other car, i will always listen to an audio book - absolutely fantastic and they can make a 5 hour drive seem like about 1 hour. Andy McNab being my books of choice...!

I turned off radio 1 when i was about 26... im now a solid radio 2 listener at 28. However in the zed i still like my music on full blast...

That said - whenever im going on a long drive in the other car, i will always listen to an audio book - absolutely fantastic and they can make a 5 hour drive seem like about 1 hour. Andy McNab being my books of choice...!