Time for a new exhaust I think

SteveW

Well I think the time has come to get a new exhaust which is a wee bit quieter than the k1.

I've had the K1 a couple of years now and love the sound with the bungs in but hate it with them out (I must be getting old).

Also love the way it looks with those bungs out. It does do my head in on the motorway though droning away.

However, next year I'm planning on getting some HFC's and it seems pointless if I'm keeping the K1 and running with the bungs in...

Therefore its time to get something new I think.

Bunged the K1 on a static test is 94Db.

I've short listed the following options:

Buddy Club

Invidia Gemini

Miltek

Modified k1 to true dual with more inline silencers to get it quieter

Does anyone know the 3/4RPM static test volume for the 3 exhausts I've listed above or have any general comments about these coupled with HFCs?

Cheers

Steve

I just put a Milltek on mine, going to have HFCs on it as well on the 15th, will do a vid for you and post...Milltek on its own sounds great to me, then again I am not looking for loud loud, but it certainly turns heads when you give it some boot.

I had the invidia gemini fitted a few weeks ago and it is VERY easy to live with day to day. i think most of the volume still comes from my pop-charger. It has a nice grumble and sounds great when your caning it, but apart from a slightly throatier idle you would be hard pushed to tell it from stock when driving normally.

I know we had a member on here who had one fitted with berks then uprevved recently and they had very good results too.

Heres a couple of Vids i took this weekend.

This is just a bit of info. after a K1 it might not be dramatic enough for you :lol:

buddy club is no different to the K1, possibly a little more refined than the k1, but will still make your ears bleed.

Thanks mate, in that case I'll stay away from the Buddy Club, I want something quieter than my K1.

Don't want to be that annoying neighbour starting up his car at 6am and waking up the village!

Thanks Coldel that would be awesome if you could :thumbs:

CrumbMc i'm liking the vids thank you B) , the Gemini does indeed sound good and it does sound the kind of noise I'm after as well as being able to live with it day to day.

The K1 has provided enough drama for me over the last few years lol ready to get into the smoking jacket and slippers of something quieter :lol:

I'm still not ruling out modding the K1 into a true dual because I really do love the look of those cans without the bungs...

If you are gonna mod it to a true dual, might aswell do something different, how about replacing the cans with cans from motorbikes?

My mate did that to his old mini. looked / sounded awesome :clap:

I've never heard a custom exhaust thats even remotely quiet though

there are 2 other forums for different manufacturers that i've been on that milltek are one of the top exhausts to have for the car. Both the R32 Golf and the Jag XK/XKR the milltek is generally held as one of the best sounds for the car. and i think this is alot in part to the research they do for each car.

on all the versions they do they generally have a resonated and an unresontated version, but neither ever have a reputation for droning or booming.

to be honest if lots of people have them its generally for a reason and thats because it works and is good and complements the car and not make the car compromising.

I had a turbo back milltek on my Gti and the gemini on the Zed fitted by the same bloke. he said they are 2 of the best quality exhausts ever seen. would be nice to get something different. I only knew of one other on the forum who had the gemini before i got mine fitted but it looks like they are getting quite popular.

My mates mk5 golf had a miltek and it was amazing. The miltek on the zed has been designed to be much more refined and is very quiet in comparison to the nismo etc, too quiet for me. The pipes look rather feminine for me aswell. Don't like how they reduce so much internally from the tips.

The golf was a monster with the miltek though :#1::thumbs: golf still has the best sounding v6 I've heard

The golf was a monster with the miltek though :#1::thumbs: golf still has the best sounding v6 I've heard

The jag has 5 silencers in the exhaust the V8 is all but silent at any revs, at most i hear is the SC winding up which is great.

then milltek made this.

so you can all guess whats going on my car next year :lol::teeth:

The jag has 5 silencers in the exhaust the V8 is all but silent at any revs, at most i hear is the SC winding up which is great.

then milltek made this.

That's a close call for best v8 sound. Lexx's vxr8 is my favourite v8 noise to date. Would need to hear this in person before I can choose.

then milltek made this.

:p mmmm sounds like its about to kill something :thumbs:

Do Milltek offer different tips for the Zed system? I would have one if it had oem tips on it!

not difficult to have them cut off and weld on your own style

True, don't know if I would want to chop up something I have spent that kind of money on though, might have to go for the Tanabe instead :D

stick with the old motto, you get what you pay for,

so anything like tannabe etc will be good, its not the cheapest around, but you know you won;t have any fitment issues etc.

milltek do a range of tips bt you'd need to ask them to supply them for you.