In-ear headphones advice

HassanZ

Hi all,

I am after a set of in-ear headphones as my current ones broke at the gym last week. I cannot live without music in my ears when training.

This time I've decided to get some very good quality ones with powerful but clear bass characteristics.

I am a bit of a bass junky and tend to listen to a lot of hip hop and R&B.

I would like headphones that would suit this type of music.

I hope there's somebody out there who can advise me :please:

I don't know anything about headphones so all advice is appreciated.

Links to good deals would also be a great help!

Many Thanks,

Hassan :)

depends on how much you want to spend.

if your looking around 70quid mark then the Shure 211s or some Sennheiser IE6. These from the research I have done seem to fit the bill. Sennheiser IE8 for two drivers seem very well rated. Up a notch in price levels though.

Only thing with the Bose ones to note is that they are not very sound insulating for an In Ear Headphone

Thanks for your help guys!!! All your suggestions have been great!

I've heard some great things about Sennheiser but I weren't sure if it was made for my type of music?

I've also heard great things about Denon. Have any of you tried a set?

Powerbeats or any other headphones made by Beats were top of my list as it's directly aimed at my type of music. However, I'm slightly concerned by the negative feedback I've heard. A lot of people say they are 'over rated'?

These are the reviews on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews ... ewpoints=1

My budget was around the £80 mark but happy to push the boat slightly further if they exceed my requirements :thumbs:

I've heard some great things about Sennheiser but I weren't sure if it was made for my type of music?

Sound reproduction is sound reproduction at the end of the day. They will reproduce whatever you play down them. For in-ear I've always found they have more than enough bass, which I assume is what you are mostly after? Sennheiser are used by many top DJ's so sure they will suit you ;)

:thumbs: +1 I have a pair of Sennheiser with over ear mounts and they are great for the gym, they're great full stop. I bought some foam ear pieces for them to shut out even more outside noise :)

Sound reproduction is sound reproduction at the end of the day. They will reproduce whatever you play down them. For in-ear I've always found they have more than enough bass, which I assume is what you are mostly after? Sennheiser are used by many top DJ's so sure they will suit you ;)

I see there is a majority vote for Sennheiser...

Apart from the Sennheiser IE6 mentioned by Mike, which others are recommended? They all have different model numbers and I have no idea which ones are superior! :shrug:

I've looked at Bose Neil, they seem quite expensive?

Which Sony ones do you recommend Rich?

Sennheiser IE8 but guessing from yuor posts they might by too expensive

Just checked the prices for IE7 and IE8 before I read your post....they sure are! :scare:

Didn't know headphones even existed in that price bracket! :lol:

The Sennheiser IE6 does seem to fit the bill however! Now I need to search for a good price...

I was considering purchasing the Beats one as previously suggested but there are too many counterfeit ones floating around. For peace of mind I'd have to purchase it from a proper retailer with an average price of £120!

If its purely for down the gym, even ones like the CX300/400 will do. They have good punchy bass, and while not audiophile territory, they are great little phones that you dont mind getting trashed. I use some old CX299's when doing the turbo trainer at home and it blocks out the noise of that :thumbs:

Im using the Sennheiser CX 870's. Iv had them for about 6 months and I think they are great, Clarity is "good" for all music types, Noise canceling is good enough for long flights, they don't fall out of my ears when I run with them, don't catch the wind when im out on my bike and have survived a spin in the washer. They are also at a price where you don't have to be scared to use them!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003 ... hs_product

I listen to mainly hiphop with abit of r&b.

My fav in ears at a reasonable cost are the SONY MDR XB40EX. These are the older model from their XBS EXTRA BASS range. I just bought a spare set last week from amazon or play....cant quite remember......but were £35. They have 13.5mm drivers and a clip on the wire which cansecure them to t shirt etc so less tugging them out of lugholes when running etc.

On headphone forums like HEADFI they say theres too much bass making them only good for hiphop/r&b....FULL OF WIN!

I think I've made my decision to purchase Mike's recommendation, the Sennheiser IE6.

Just a couple of questions before I go ahead and purchase it (I've seen it for £69.99 on play and Amazon), what's the cord and the joins like? My headphones tend to take a battering at the gym and suffer from a lot of pulling pressure on the part where the wire joins to the headphones and the socket that plugs into the phone, as the wire gets pulled a lot. My last 2 headphones have failed as the connection between the wire and the headphones or the wire that joins onto the plug gets loose/disconnected and only works when you fiddle with the wire to get it to work again. I don't want to face this issue again. Basically I want a pair of headphones where the wire joins are very solid and flexible, allowing it to handle a lot of pressure.

I listen to music on my HTC Sensation, will these headphones produce high sound quality on this phone or is the phone not capable of producing that kind of quality sound as it's not solely designed for that purpose?

Thanks for the help!

Hence why I suggested the A-Jays, because they use the anti tangle flat cable style, just like the way more expensive Monster Beats do.

I know the A-Jays Four are designed for the iPhone, but they do a version for non iPhone.

A-Jays One+ might be the ones that suit you better, priced at around £40

http://www.jays.se/products/earphones/a ... -plus.html

Hence why I suggested the A-Jays, because they use the anti tangle flat cable style, just like the way more expensive Monster Beats do.

I know the A-Jays Four are designed for the iPhone, but do a version for non iPhone.

A-Jays One+ might be the ones that suit you better, priced at around £40

http://www.jays.se/products/earphones/a ... -plus.html

They do look nice and the price is low...

How does the sound quality and bass compare to other manufacturers like Sennheiser/Monster Beats/Sony/Bose etc?

If you have a quick search thru YouTube for reviews, most agree that the bass and overall sound quality is excellent.

I myself find them superb for the money, the A-Jays Four that I have are brilliant, good sound isolation too.

Comfortable, mainly where other manufacturers supply you with three earbud sizes, A-Jays supply you with five, so you should be able to make them comfortable for yourself.

• 2 weeks later...