Number Plates

TomS

Just received my lovely new number plate in the post but didn't realise they wouldn't have holes pre-drilled! So two options, drill holes in the number plates, without a drill, or adhesive sticky tape?

The plates themself have a white back on them which is sticky underneath, can I peel it off and use that or do I need sticky pads? If I do try to drill the holes what's the best option to not **** it up? :thumbs:

Oh forgot to ask, what bloody screwdriver gets the standard plates off? The screws in the current plates are some extremely rusted square holed looking things? Not got anything that fits it, flathead/phillips/round/star. It's just rusted as nuts!

What's the sticky tape like for getting off if/when I get new front/rear end?

Could I stick the new plates on top of the current plates? Would that help when it comes to getting them off? Need to find a funny shaped screwdriver otherwise!

Was tempted to take the front mount off the bumper and put the plate directly onto the bumper but not sure how it'd look with standard plates?

Haven't even got a drill! Waiting to see if I can borrow one off girlfriends parents, need it for sticking some shelves up in the loft. I'm guessing if the screws are naffed I just down the middle of them, how far? Don't fancy sticking a new hole in bumper :lol:

Tried drilling the plates off, seemed to be working, but I just pulled the plates off instead. Patience isn't my strong point :lol: WIll take photo of new numberplate tomorrow!

Is it easy to remove the front number plate mount on the OEM bumper? Tempted to take it off to see what just the numberplate onto the bumper looks like.

I stuck my new plate straight onto the front bumper after removing the chunky black number plate mounting bit which goes between the plate and the bumper. The sticky pads held the new plate on no problem, even though the plate is bending slightly to follow the curve of the front bumper.

I'd use (minimum) one in the centre and one each side.

This will keep the gaps even and ensure there is a small gap between the plate and the paint.

Thats what i did. I got some heavy duty pads of ebay. When i first fitted the back plate i actually noticed the angle wasnt 100% so had to pull it off and re-allign it. And OMG the pads were so strong it felt like the plate was welded to the car even though id only just stuck it on 10 seconds earlier.

Thats what i did. I got some heavy duty pads of ebay. When i first fitted the back plate i actually noticed the angle wasnt 100% so had to pull it off and re-allign it. And OMG the pads were so strong it felt like the plate was welded to the car even though id only just stuck it on 10 seconds earlier.

I was more astonished at the amount of effort it takes that it didnt pull the paint off :scare::lol:

I was more astonished at the amount of effort it takes that it didnt pull the paint off :scare::lol:

Thats a very good point actually! The paint was surprisingly good on the back bumper. I could see that whilst my car has only had 3 owners, its had 6 different number plates on it now. And, each owner has used more sticky pads in different positions - rather than clean the old ones off. Took me hours of cleaning the old pads off to make a proper job of it.

jebus, I hat to see a post from you with something difficult to sort, how many posts for some sticky pads :bangin:

Isn't it what the forums for? Asking questions and getting help regardless of experience/difficulty of what you're doing? Next time I'll keep quite and not participate on the forum then I guess :yawn: