Does anyone want to race a 350Z?

Motorsport

Hi, I work for a large motorsport operator in the UK. Internally we have been discussing suitable cars for a possible new low cost one make race series that we’d perhaps like to initiate, and all agreed that 350Zs would make great race cars – powerful, rear wheel drive, reliable, great fun to drive etc. This would be aimed primarily at older 350zs, converted for racing with as few mods as possible to make them race worthy and keep the costs down – brakes, tyres, safety requirement etc.

We would be very interested to hear from forum members on whether you think 350Zs would be suitable, and of course if there is any interest from current owners to take their cars racing. Comments please, Ladies and Gentlemen?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

having drifted ALOT of cars in and out of competition i can say that a 350 wiould be a great car. In stock form they out performed alot fo my skid cars. Bags of torque, great acceleration thanks to the 6 speed and close ratio. Only issue would be cooling, the stock rads are rediculously skinny so get an alloy rad and twin leccy fans.

I'll be skidding my 350 once i get some money

I'm assuming at a minimum you'd be looking at:

Full cage

Extinguisher system

Elec & fuel cutoffs

And then for mods you keep it free for:

Pads

Dampers & springs (non-adjustable), or maybe leave these stock for low cost?

Exhaust

Intake

ARBs

... and I reckon you'd have a decent sized grid without breaking the bank. Run the 888s as control tyres and you're laughing, hell I might even be tempted to flog the MR2 race car and build myself a Zed instead! It's a great idea and one that I hope gets the grids it deserves. :)

This sounds an awesome idea;

I wouldnt run 888 thou as they are to expensive something like the Federal trackday tyre would work great;

Run stock dampers and springs , maybe control uprated roll bars (adjustable to llow the cars to be tweaked)

Braided brake lines , any disc and pads with cooling ducts ( controlled size)

Controlled exhaust maybe Milltek as the stock Nissan system are all rusting away , stock intake system everything for easy of policing the series.

Stock ECU map , this can very easily be controlled. maybe all cars have to have a controlled map , then it is easy to flash the ECU with the controlled map at any time ,this will prevent anyone from remapping there car as they could lose that map at anytime.

Bolt in cage so nothing to fancy.

I would say only the DE model as well to keep costs down.

I am sure we will be 1 of the 1st to sign up for this series.

Any more questions ask away.

Mark

Keyser... where for out thou ???

Sounds a great idea... I will sit on the side lines with replacement parts and refreshments :snack:

I'm here just read it

Yer yer yer I'm well up for this - Can I use mine with the SC and NOS or do I have to get another one??? :lol::lol:

I think Mark @ Abbey may notice :blush:

O if I do it I'll have to let the 260 go though :(

Here's my tuppence:

350z would be a great car but unfortunately I lack the cash (and the driving ability) to do this on my own. I could potentially get a couple of petrolhead mates to join in though. Could you have a set up for teams of drivers? E.g:

- 3 seperate races per day, different driver in each

- pit stops with compulsory driver changes

That way we could spread the cost.

P.S. I did one of your track days at Bedford recently - a fantastic day and great atmosphere!

Pitstop will fuel stops makes the cost spiral out of control as you need fuel fillers , people with fire suits/helmets.

3 races in a day isnt do able as the 3 drivers need to do a minimum of 3 laps each to be qualified due to familairity of circuit.

Cheapest way is to co-own a car and do alternate meetings

Mark

Thanks for all the feedback so far - keep it coming!

I just looked up the weight of the standard car. Is 1820 kg about right? We did run a fleet of 350Zs at PalmerSport some years ago, so we're going revisit the stats we have on those.

We're particularly interested in getting new drivers into motorsport (hence this idea), so the opinions of 350Z owners who could be tempted to go racing in cars they know and love are of interest to us, as well as all the feedback from tuners etc.

Regards, Ian

OP or Mark would this require a race licence from the Motor Sports Association (MAS) or similar?

Closer to stock the better for cost but the Zed is heavy on track and would need something doing to the suspension IMHO.

OP or Mark would this require a race licence from the Motor Sports Association (MAS) or similar?

Closer to stock the better for cost but the Zed is heavy on track and would need something doing to the suspension IMHO.

I feel the car's arent to bad stock with bigger bars fitted but if everyone is the same it doesnt matter.

If you dont over tyre them i.e run 888's tyres, they will move around which makes them more fun as well and better to watch.

Yes your need a race license minimum National B. (ARDS course)

Thanks for all the feedback so far - keep it coming!

I just looked up the weight of the standard car. Is 1820 kg about right? We did run a fleet of 350Zs at PalmerSport some years ago, so we're going revisit the stats we have on those.

A tad too high, I've had a fairly standard Roadster weighed with a full tank & fluids & driver and it came to 1760kg IIRC, so knock off approx 50kg for the roof mechanism, 95kg for the driver ( :blush: ) and 75L of unleaded and you'll be there or thereabouts I reckon.

Where's Neily? :lol:

If we could get a class for modified cars I would be interested. If not then unfortunately this wouldn't be for me.

Would we be able to run nitrous oxide, standalone ems's etc

What insurance costs are involved and how much would entry fee's be around?

I may consider buying another zed purely for this. I would much rather run my current car though in a modified series.

1 make series are for basically stock cars normally.

It really is the only way to make it fair. Otherwise its just a case of who can throw the most money at it. I mean Alex would just come down from Scotland and wipe the floor with everyone if it was an open modified race :drive1

Put alex in a standard car and he'll wipe the floor with most of us.

Even though it's a money throwing game a modified series wouldnt necessarily mean the most money would win. I know that a good driver will drive anything fast. Sabine put a transit round the track faster than most of can put a zed round it. I think a modified, time attack style race would work well worked into different power categories, ie upto 400,500,600. Allowing slower cars with better drivers to compete in a faster class.

Just my two pence to be honest and not too fussed in reality. I'm aiming to have my car fully prepped for summer 2013 so I can start to compete. Whether I do or not is a different story but that's the idea.

The BHP rated series had been tried before and is still being run, Steve Burke raced in that series last year , easy to bend the rules with a Turbo car , turn boost up during a race then turn boost back down at the end of the race. Very hard to scrutineer with regrds the BHP (Power output) thats why Steve gave up runnign in this series.

Stock based car is the best way to go I know and easier to scrutineer.