Project Zee Business - Update 25th July

Keyser

Good progress being made there. :thumbs:

The belt layout and all the Vortech pulleys looks mental without the radiator :scare: Are you gonna do anything with the Vortech mounting plate at all? Paint or polish? The colour of mine bugs me. :dry:

Looks like you might have had a light impact on the front then, with the slight damage and over-spray. :shrug: Nothing serious but I assume a bit dis-heartening if you wasn't made aware of it before you bought it.

Keep the updates coming. :)

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Colin :thumbs:

Defo a great improvement over the tent!! At least the garage was easy :scare: Don't get me started again :lol:

Sam -

A lot of things are worrying not to mention "dis-heartening"

My car is held together with zip ties for one :surrender: as others have noted.

The crack in the front is strange - I can't see what it could be except a shunt - the air con rad (condenser) looks newer than the standard rad so may have been replaced?

Can't see how else it would have gone unless they are prone to stress and failure?

The overspray could have come at anytime and I have an aftermarket bumper that has been re-sprayed at least once.

There is nothing major wrong it's just lots of little things like the feed pipes to the power steering rad - why bend them round like that for £20 nice new ones could have been put in and the rad located more "professionally"

There are a few other bits n bobs that I will post up as the strip down continues.

Having said that the car was rock solid reliable I drove it to track on several occasions

thrashed the proverbial out of it and drove home - No worries, not to mention a spin up to Nottingham and back 2 weeks ago 400+ mile round trip purred like a kitten the whole way.

Mechanically she is sound and the suspension and diff setup works very well.

I put it down to the install being done as a "job" and maybe more to a price?

Refer to viewtopic.php?f=22&t=55109

So as "labour cost" is not an issue for my own time I will go the extra mile and sort out everything to my satisfaction :thumbs:

Therefore when finished it will hopefully look great - weather it actually runs or hits the figures I'm after remains to be seen.

Quick disclaimer here -

I have no idea who did any of the work on my car prior to my ownership!

So many owners and so many modifications any part may have fallen off and been repaired, they may have been installed like that from day one - I don't know and I don't care!

I have not named any company or individual as responsible.

I just took the photos :p

Quick disclaimer here -

So many owners and so many modifications any part may have fallen off and been repaired, they may have been installed like that from day one - I don't know and I don't care!

:thumbs::lol:

Evening all,

Well I had a very pleasant evening in the Zedshed tonight.

The rain just adds a beat to the radio (Anders and Ian :p )

Continued striping down my baby, I'm learning a lot about how these are put together and what goes where overall a very satisfying experience

So the pics it seems you like looking at pics of my girl slowly stripping O Err. :blush:

Build2-2.jpg

Build2-3.jpg

Build2-4.jpg

Build2-5.jpg

Build2-6.jpg

Build2-7.jpg

Main Wiring loom out - that was fun - also the lower intake RFS etc.

Build2-8.jpg

Anyone know how this lot goes together ???

Build2-9.jpg

Or where this lot plugs in?? :lol:

Build2-10.jpg

That's all folks ................

I was going to say - I hope you know where all that stuff goes back?

The most annoying part I'd say is getting it back together in the right order :surrender:

Meh I've got a manual :lol:

Anders -

Do you mean what year will I get round to fitting the new engine? - 2012 maybe :lol:

...My car is held together with zip ties for one :surrender: as others have noted.

The crack in the front is strange - I can't see what it could be except a shunt - the air con rad (condenser) looks newer than the standard rad so may have been replaced?

.............I put it down to the install being done as a "job" and maybe more to a price?

Quick disclaimer here -

Not on here much these days - just logged in to see how my old baby was doing and saw this thread. Just to point out the zip ties are there since the first owners SC install - don't know how that front crack could have occured - as far as I am aware it wasn't there while I had the car as the bumper was off a few times (changed bumper and refurbed SC). Dave (previous owner) was a mate and I would have known if he had pranged the car.

As regards to previous work done - when a Zed has had fitted a Vortech SC plus APS oil pan and tall boy plenum, larger injectors and uprated fuel pump, tein coilovers, Nismo ARBs, a Kaaz diff, PF front discs and numerous other mechanical and cosmetic mods its hardly fair to say that work was done to a price. I spent a LOT of money on this Zed during my time with it as did the two previous owners. If I held onto the Zed I would have fitted an oil cooler and a couple of other bits and bobs by now as well but I did mention this when I sold you the car.

Well done on the build to date Chris - nice to see this Zed getting the attention it deserves - I knew it was in good hands the minute I met you. :thumbs:

If I'm reading that correctly, and assuming you will be off the road for a good few months, are you going to sorn it before monday? Get seven months tax back to spend on more goodies... B)

No not going to SORN her - be on and of the road (hopefull January will be the first move) then off to the tuners and I'm a pre 06 Tax aint that bad :p

Not on here much these days - just logged in to see how my old baby was doing and saw this thread. Just to point out the zip ties are there since the first owners SC install - don't know how that front crack could have occured - as far as I am aware it wasn't there while I had the car as the bumper was off a few times (changed bumper and refurbed SC). Dave (previous owner) was a mate and I would have known if he had pranged the car.

As regards to previous work done - when a Zed has had fitted a Vortech SC plus APS oil pan and tall boy plenum, larger injectors and uprated fuel pump, tein coilovers, Nismo ARBs, a Kaaz diff, PF front discs and numerous other mechanical and cosmetic mods its hardly fair to say that work was done to a price. I spent a LOT of money on this Zed during my time with it as did the two previous owners. If I held onto the Zed I would have fitted an oil cooler and a couple of other bits and bobs by now as well but I did mention this when I sold you the car.

Well done on the build to date Chris - nice to see this Zed getting the attention it deserves - I knew it was in good hands the minute I met you. :thumbs:

Hello mate long time no hear :)

That comment "done to a price" - please don't take it the wrong way it was meant as in a garage working to a budget would not want to add an extra few hours labour to a bill as the client would not be happy.

Any way if I was going to blame someone it would be Vortech - how did they think it would stay there? it has nothing to bolt to and no anti gravity feature :lol:

Believe me I know how much you spent on the car I have a folder full of receipts! :scare:

BTW Just drained the oil and it's still clear! :thumbs:

Ref the oil cooler - You said it need one and as you know I was suffering even more than you on track - must be the hotter weather down on the south coast :p - Drop links that you pointed out as squeaky were changed for the ones you gave me even though the old ones passed MOT.

The biggest worry is that crack - Now I know it wasn't there when you had it, it must have happened when I had it :scare:

Also after a good look at it, it seems to push out forwards, it would go in if it had been bumped.

So I'm thinking stress crack....... But it shouldn't do that! Will look at it very carefully when I put her back together.

Other than that mate she's been a dream fastest car I've ever owned including the 911, never let me down once and in the words of my other half after a spirited bit of driving and a Porsche boxter disappearing in the rear view mirror -

"and you want to make it go faster?!! :rant:

Classic :lol:

Keep in touch mate :thumbs:

Morning all - got a bit more done last night thanks to Bob who swung by and gave an assist on the Decat removal and left my fingers intact this time.....

Quote of the night

Buster "Let go of your ring Chris" :blush::scare::lol:

BTW - You left ya gloves here mate

So started by getting all 4 wheels up in the air

Strip31.jpg

Few more bits out -

Strip32.jpg

Then -

Strip33.jpg

Strip34.jpg

Strip35.jpg

So now she looks like this -

Strip36.jpg

Not bad considering its my first time :blush: (on a 350 anyway) started Sunday afternoon about 2pm Monday and Tuesday night 2 or 3 hours each engine is out - ready for the next bit.

That's all folks.....................

Just a quickie tonight (said the actress to the Bishop)

This arrived today

Strip42.jpg

This was the Address label Thanks Ian :clap:

Strip43.jpg

Other than that just carried on taking the bits n bobs out of the engine bay -

Strip44.jpg

That's all folks ................

slimjim -

Finish the strip down. A dam good clean and then a complete rebuild with all the nice new shiny bits :thumbs:

Sam Mcgoo-

As above and gotta move my bits from the old engine to the new one.

Anders -

Looked into and not needed at the moment mate :)

looks like i ll be round yours more than at my own home from now on then :lol:

Quote of the night -

OH - "Suppose you're going to go and play with her again tonight?" :angry:

Me - :blush::surrender: "yes" :lol::yahoo:

(But only did an hour hence the short update.) :lol: