So quiet in here?

Number86

Hey Chaps.

Thought I'd stick my beak in here, as I've been browsing this section on and off for a while!

My observations...? There's only a small handful of members on here! Either Nissan only sold 10 370's in the UK or no one knows about this site. However, the 350 section still seems pretty lively. Of course, I understand that's probably largely due to the fact you can pick one up for 7k now! :blink: Which is both great and sad at the same time.

Oh, I'm not just posting for the sake of posting btw, I have a question. :)

I was wondering what they reliability is like on the 370 these days? Some owners should of had the cars for 2 years now, so has anyone had any reported problems. I can't see much here (or with a cursory browse on the US forums) of much other than the boot release, and a more frighting manual gearbox failure!

I had an MY06 350 which I sold 1.5 years ago for an A3 tdi (job change, 30k+ miles per year). I thought I'd be able to manage without a "nice" car, but it's driving me insane. So for next year, I'm thinking of going down the 2 car route of a tdi for the motorway and something else for...something else :)

As I obviously dislike Japanese cars so much, I've narrowed it down to a 370z (duh!), and the very different but equally awesome IS-F. Both second hand of course!

Oh, and black and white are clearly the best colours... :surrender:

IS-F all day long for me. It's a 5.0 V8 and the noise gives me a semi. :lol: It's a Q car, I love them but not everyone does. Most people want a £50k to have some 'look at me' appeal. The IS-F has none unless you know what it is. :)

The 370 is lovely though and does have lots of 'look at me' appeal to it. Goes well too! :thumbs:

Hmm. If I was buying brand new. With 3 year warranty etc etc. I'd probably get a 4wd Audi, or a GTR. But second hand, with my own personal money...IMO it's hard to argue for the competition!

To be honest. I think the same applies to me and the 370z. IMO it's appeal doesn't stretch as far if you're buying new, and getting smacked by the massive deprecation, also where Jap reliability and maintenance cost is less relevant. The 370/350 ARE brilliant cars, but because of the value proposition they represent. Without that, I dunno...

Hey Chaps.

My observations...? There's only a small handful of members on here! Either Nissan only sold 10 370's in the UK or no one knows about this site. However, the 350 section still seems pretty lively. Of course, I understand that's probably largely due to the fact you can pick one up for 7k now! :blink: Which is both great and sad at the same time.

Oh, I'm not just posting for the sake of posting btw, I have a question. :)

I was wondering what they reliability is like on the 370 these days? Some owners should of had the cars for 2 years now, so has anyone had any reported problems. I can't see much here (or with a cursory browse on the US forums) of much other than the boot release, and a more frighting manual gearbox failure!

:secret: we are trying to keep values up by being exclusive :lol:

Basically the recession and general financial climate has limited sales of cars like the 370, which was not such a concern 2003-2007, so 350 sales were good and the exchange rate meant many imports. I don't recall anyone coming on here with a 370 import yet......(waits to be corrected :lol: )

Reliability is fine after 21 months of ownership and 13k miles, in fact I would say much better than with the 350 given the know issues, but there again the relatively low numbers are a factor :shrug: But having had two 350's before, I have found the 370 pretty well faultless so far. I have changed the front discs/pads to address warped discs that the dealer did skim first, but which did not fully resolve the problem.

My biggest 'grumble' is that the sills are too easily stone chipped by the front wheels. It is surprising that no clear wrapping (as on the 350) is provided which would at least protect the more visible areas forward of the rear wheels. Otherwise, I can honestly say that a lot of the niggles in the 350 Nissan have been addressed in the 370 design making it a worthy successor in all respects, in my experience. :thumbs:

I'm no expert, but our 370 is about 2 years old and has approx 11K miles on it. Never had any problems apart from a minor issue with dodgy boot springs needing replacing.

It's my first car so I can't compare it to much (apart from the 1.2 Fiesta I diesel I learnt in :lol: ) but I'm absolutely totally in love with it! Very likely that I'll be sticking with Zs unless something totally amazing comes along at a similar price, which seems very unlikely! :thumbs:

ISF sounds great, but looks like something my grandad would drive.

£50K = GTR no contest!

Pretty sure the 370z will gain in popularity as time goes by. Superb car, done 5,000 miles so far in a year, 3,000 of which driving around France, hasn't missed a beat :teeth:

ISF sounds great, but looks like something my grandad would drive.

£50K = GTR no contest!

Pretty sure the 370z will gain in popularity as time goes by. Superb car, done 5,000 miles so far in a year, 3,000 of which driving around France, hasn't missed a beat :teeth:

Just had to Google ISF to see what they look like.....Urghhh :thumbdown:

Thought I'd stick my beak in here, as I've been browsing this section on and off for a while!

Ya know why it's quiet in here, because you haven't purchased 370 yet. :lol::p:lol: Hehe, only kidding.

The only reason there's so many 350's on here is they've been out 8 years now, there's plenty about, including Jap imports to bolster numbers & the global economy was better. For the first 3-4 years could often drive for weeks if not months and not see another one (apart from meets obviously), but now will usually see one a week. Which still isn't much.

370's will ultimately be comparatively more rare because proportionately less have been sold. Should help the resale value, if you shift cars with any frequency.

Edit, I need Toby's job. :lol::lol::lol:

You might find this thread interesting Number86, lots of views on why the 370Z hasn't sold so well....

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/gassing/to ... z%20worked?

Range of comments I would expect really - including yours :lol:

A lot of by people who I doubt have driven one (or a 350) and that is where they are missing the car's strongest points, IMO.

And this place has a lot to answer for - so many nice (and knowledgable) owners I have met over the years leading to great friendships that I hope will continue for years to come :thumbs:

I have changed the front discs/pads to address warped discs that the dealer did skim first, but which did not fully resolve the problem

Colin, not wanting to go too far off-topic, but can I ask what your issues were. What was happening under braking (I guess) that was meant the brakes were to blame. My car does pull off centre quite badly when braking heavily but never dont anything about it - I was just wondering whether this is a similar problem to what you had (I've not had a alignment check done).

I have changed the front discs/pads to address warped discs that the dealer did skim first, but which did not fully resolve the problem

Colin, not wanting to go too far off-topic, but can I ask what your issues were. What was happening under braking (I guess) that was meant the brakes were to blame. My car does pull off centre quite badly when braking heavily but never dont anything about it - I was just wondering whether this is a similar problem to what you had (I've not had a alignment check done).

That to me would sounds more like a geometry issue than the brakes, although could be one brake pulling more than the other. IIRC Colins issue was a warped brake which will give a pulsing feel when braking. This could have also been down to DTV but he will only know that whens he's put a few miles on the discs I guess.

PH makes me laugh - so many people without a clue commenting. One says that the 370z gets 5MPG less than the 350z? WTF?! Mine (being new) averages maybe 1MPG less than the 350z it replaced but that was on quite a few more miles so a much freer engine. That kind of thing puts people off as they see the 350z does maybe 25MPG and then assume the 370z would get 20MPG (Evo territory!) :bang:

PH forums are unfortunately full of Trolls who spout absolute rubbish frequently.

I guarantee that 80% (conservative estimate) of people that have commented on the thread have never looked at a 370Z closely let alone sat in one or driven it.

Most of them don't even have the decency to go to a pub to listen to stories of 'my dads mates brothers mate sat in one once' and just type random crap that someone else has posted on the internet and that info was probably stolen from someone else..... It's all a bad game of chinese whispers. A bit like quoting Clarkson as facts for or against a car.

Well all Mercedes are rubbish. I saw one on the back of a tow truck so they all obviously break down all the time. Clarkson said the new C Class couldn't sit a 6' 7" 28 stone man comfortably in the back between two baby seats so they are not family friendly. Someone I know once had one a diesel one and he got smelly hands when he filled it up at the filling station.....

So in conclusion the best family car for £30k has to be a Mk1 Mx5.

That to me would sounds more like a geometry issue than the brakes, although could be one brake pulling more than the other. IIRC Colins issue was a warped brake which will give a pulsing feel when braking. This could have also been down to DTV but he will only know that whens he's put a few miles on the discs I guess.

The principals of two independent and well-known garages on here, as well as ZMANALEX via converstaions, opined it was warped discs, nothing amiss with the suspension geometry. Having had the new discs on for about 3k miles I did notice a similar sensation has reappeared, but only after after giving the car a little exercise where our Scots members like to play :drive1;) Probably me resting on the brake pedal afterwards :blush: Largely cleared that with the brake bedding-in procedure - 8 hard stops from 60mph to 10mph with a decent cool-off period afterwards. Maybe it also is my driving style using the engine braking too much and and not the brakes hard enough at other times :doh::lol: We shall see.

And Chris/Stew are absolutely right about the Pistonheads trolling whilst both Chris and I from years of experience of a 350 and now a 370 are finding little difference in mpg between the two - which is good particuarly when we are both running around an extra 50bhp or so extra compared to the 350's and enjoying the syncro-rev match - something I notice the PH trolls were either completely silent about or more likely unaware of the joy it gives us 370 owners. :D

Meant to say that rogerxp's problem sounded like geo and yours was the brakes Col - 2 seperate problems. Not meaning to make the two sound like the same thing or that yours was anything to do with suspension :blush:

I had got that Chris - just confirming to Roger what my issue was :thumbs:

I must check that PH thread out later!

And the ISF...Yeah, it's no 370z for looks, that's for sure! But as with the 370z, every car has it's compromises.

It sounds better, goes quicker, is more powerful, more luxurious and better specced out than any 370z could ever hope for. You have to weigh that up, when you're looking at it's weird stacked quad exhausts :wacko:

And to be fair, I think the 370z is the best looking coupe this side of an Aston Martin, so the ISF has a tough comparison :)

I wouldn't pay too much attention to PH boys, been a member on their for along time, most are good guys, into classics, fast stuff, exotic stuff etc, but there are a few who love to jump on the anti-bandwagon against those motors which have passed them by which they're too embarassed to admit. Either that, or they're too afraid to go away from the norm and say they like them. Not sure why they've pulled the Z up on fuel economy, or road tax, some of these boys are running V8 M3's, AMG's, RS's, yanks, the list is endless.

Never mind, let the Z pass them buy, leaves more for the rest of us.

Bags.

PH forums are unfortunately full of Trolls who spout absolute rubbish frequently.

I guarantee that 80% (conservative estimate) of people that have commented on the thread have never looked at a 370Z closely let alone sat in one or driven it.

Most of them don't even have the decency to go to a pub to listen to stories of 'my dads mates brothers mate sat in one once' and just type random crap that someone else has posted on the internet and that info was probably stolen from someone else..... It's all a bad game of chinese whispers. A bit like quoting Clarkson as facts for or against a car.

I agree - one of them was citing the rear brace ruining the boot space (!) and several people were going on about the supposedly poor quality interior - both issues that the 370 does not suffer from!

Said it before...say it again: Love having a car that turns heads because its not as common on the roads as the usual suspects. I'd be disappointed if they became as common as the TT, Boxter etc B)

Been running mine for just over two years now and have put 24,000 miles on the clock (car is my daily drive). Only problem I have had was lack of clutch pedal pressure while in Germany, which was down to a defective csc. The dealer replaced the csc, steel hydraulic pipe to the csc and the master cylinder in June of last year, this problem has happened again this week car is now at the dealer awaiting findings. Otherwise the car has been great

Hi

If it helps, I have had mine from new for 25 months now and not a single problem (fingers crossed)

the boot release yes, but TBH when I have done 40k I cant really count that as a fault!, put it this way if that's the only problem I have i'll be a happy boy :)