8 Car Pile up at the Ring

ZMANALEX

:headhurt: Ouch - woudn't want the Armco or the car rental bill for that one :blush:

An excess in Switzerland for a Corvette must be backside clenching :scare: There didn't look to be much warning judging by the vid in the PH link - if the repair crew were in that location and hadn't moved on....

Checked up to make sure Bennett wasn't involved in this massive accident and he text to say he'll tell me all about on his return. He called me today, if Bennett was the unlucky fella, he would have been in hospital instead of the Corvette. Basically the White Porsche lost it and ended up sprawn across the middle of the track broadside, Bennett comes round the corner to find said Porsche slamming anchors and missing the Porsche by inches picking up Porsche debris along the way managing avoid direct impact. Apparently the Vette wasn't as awake to deal with the impending surprise around the corner and hit the Porsche. The Ring Taxi was to follow the same catastrophic journey and hence the reason other cars ended up in the same accident.

Apparently when the Porsche lost it he was doing in excess of 130mph. This all occurred on one of the fastest sections of the track. Let's just hope those injured make a full recovery. :surrender:

:headhurt: Ouch - woudn't want the Armco or the car rental bill for that one :blush:

An excess in Switzerland for a Corvette must be backside clenching :scare: There didn't look to be much warning judging by the vid in the PH link - if the repair crew were in that location and hadn't moved on....

Could you point me to the link of the vid? i couldn't see it. Thanks.

Thank god bennet avoided the accident and got back safely

Just watched the video on page 23 of piston heads, rear view camera showing the time the ring taxi ploughed into the queue and that poor corvette, i saw bennets car on the grass, after missing the porsche, 20 yards back and he would have hit you. Why the ring taxi should be going that fast at a construction point is beyond me. Glad your were ok, hope the car didnt pick up bits from the crash.

Glad that wasn't me approaching that lot, I'd probably have shat my pants so bad I'd have drowned in it!! :surrender:

As Bennett said to me on the phone "think I used 6 of my 9 lives in one go!"

What can you do when the traffic piles up like that apart from hit the anchors and pray!

I saw this too it was a right mess il try and get more pics of it up when I get home. I saw the Porsche and the vet a few times before hand and to be fair they were shifting like he'll round the track. There was another couple of crashes the day after shutting the track for the morning, but did get to hit the track in the afternoon and got to see the power difference of mine and that noisy black beast!

I saw this too it was a right mess il try and get more pics of it up when I get home. I saw the Porsche and the vet a few times before hand and to be fair they were shifting like he'll round the track. There was another couple of crashes the day after shutting the track for the morning, but did get to hit the track in the afternoon and got to see the power difference of mine and that noisy black beast!

Ha ha so you heard it then :headhurt::lol:

Glad to see neither of you were involved :thumbs: what on earth were you doing at a TF anyway?! :headhurt:

Hi everyone :teeth:, Hi Luke :thumbs:

Not much to add to this eventful TF weekend :scare: except that when you go to the Ring you have to count on luck, a well sorted out car and experience of the place ;)

I did 5 trips this year and the last 2 were the worst of all my time going there :surrender: I would put up a seperate post when i can find the time to get everything together but needless to say that the big crash at kesselchen was avoidable if the ring repair guys had shown consideration for the high speed nature of the section of track!!!

I arrived at the accident catching a few cars that had gone through the gates before me and it was mad breaking to avoid the white porsche which was in the middle of the road! there was no where to go except the grass and after a few seconds hesitation it dawn on me that other cars will be arriving at high speed so i proceeded to go on the grass on the left and thats when i saw the corvette filling my side mirror and crashing into the porsche and follow shortly by the ring taxi :scare::scare: the sound was deafening to say the least.

For those who have seen the rear facing video the to VXR had been behind me for most of the lap and i let them pass around metzgetfeld because they were driving to close for my liking and would catch me on the corners but never enough to pass as i could brake later and accelerate out earlier so if i had persisted i may hay been the one to hit the M3 in the original accident :scare:

In all i got saved by my brakes as i stopped just feets away from the porsche and the fact that i moved into the grass B) There were many more similar accidents that weekend including a biker and a car in hedwigs hohe and because it was safe i stopped to give first aid and was shocked by the ambulance crew management of the biker when they finally arrived :scare: if it was in the UK i would have made sure they never practise again!!!

Last month there were even more closures in the TF weekend and a brit living in my hotel lost his life!!!

The ring is get really bad and only because of how it is run and managed! yes its a dangerous place....like any motor "racing" event but the combination of poor signaling and lack of electronic/video surveillance are the reason for most secondary accidsents that often result in long closures and loss of life or significant property. A marshal was killed recently for the same reason. 350 million euro where spent developing the Ring and none of this went into the track itself or track facilities eg parking, traffic management etc!!

I will not let the crash stop me from going but i have decided next year i will be having a roll cage and use my helmet rather that say if i donot use these it will keep me in check because i am lying to myself ;) I am bloody quick with the zed on that track and i have reached the max potential with my current setup and so i need to throw in semi slicks and a little power boost :ninja: which i plan to next year so i need to be safer rather than hopeful :D The next measure will be to avoid long weekends as there is too much trafic and accidents and closures as people get too frustrated of waiting.

The final thing they need i the Ring is active driver education!!! the popularity of the place has meant people come from everywhere with very powerful cars and have not even bother to rather safety info about the place and just assume because they have done xxx number of laps on GT4 it will make them good. I see too many of brits just asking for a big crash because they take the place for granted and then its too late!!!

To understand what i meant at the top about poor signalling causing the crash here is a vid of the signaling just before the actual crash!!! it was placed after the blind left handed and at 120+ on most 300+ bhp cars you can see what was @destined to happen.

Moan: As a result of the massive braking i need new front pads and disc asap rather than on the start of next trackday season and also need a new clutch/flywheel as either one or both is/are gone and the slipping is epic!! Still don't know how the car got back and still driving and slipping :shrug:

Oh well i have got 72K out of a single clutch and 50k of them are mine including Ring trips :clap: Need to decide carefully on a replacement while bearing in mind pending power upgrade ;)