Minor rant

CarrotCakeIsYum

:rant:

So I've got nice new brake lines and pads to go on this weekend, not bad weather to be doing it I thought - get a nice tan.

This is my day so far:

Pop out this morning to get a few bits and bobs from Halfrauds - a set of sockets and a torque wrench. Get back, loosen wheel nuts and Jack up one corner with the scissor jack, find that the axle stand is to tall to fit under. Lower the car, tighten the wheel nuts and drive back to Halfrauds.

Treat myself to a hydraulic jack to make life easier. Get back, loosen wheel nuts, double check on interweb where jacking points are, jack car up, find that hydraulic jack doesn't lift high enough for axle stands (axle stands are also from Halfrauds).

Drive to Wickes to buy block of wood to rest jack on, get back, don't fancy resting wheeled trolley jack on wood. Loosen wheel nuts, rest scissor jack on wood, raise car.

Open brand new 1/2" drive sockets, discover they refuse to fit my 1/2" drive wrench. Weird, wonder if they fit the brand new torque wrench. Open brand new torque wrench, see it's covered in scratches, scuffs and the 'warranty void if removed' sticker has been partially scratched off. Notice sticker attached to wrench that says; "The Crown Court, Exhibit No. 3, See officer of the Court Form 5123". Realise the wrench is not new and has potentially been used in a crime. Test wrench with sockets, sockets still don't fit.

I'm about to lower car, tighten wheel nuts and return to Halfrauds to return the jack, sockets and wrench and to generally put the fear of god into them.

:bang:

/RANT

Oh and I would appreciate some advice, surely jacking the car up to put it on axle stands shouldn't be this difficult? How does everyone else do it?

EDIT: This is meant to be in the 350z General Forum - not even posting is going right this morning!!!

Well, I had a break for an hour or two and got started. I got a better hydraulic jack with a greater lift, no problems with axle stands now.

Started with the rear and changed brake lines, no probs. After taking the offside rear calliper off I found that one of the pins is missing the wire/staple holding it in place! Can't believe it hadn't fallen out. New pads went in but for the life of me I can't get the calliper back on the rotor (I'm convinced the piston is pushed all the way in), it just won't go on.

I would have tried for longer but then I sat on a (open) tube of copper grease and thought I'd take your advice and call it a day.

One beer down plenty more to follow... :drunk:

Never mind mate - we all have days like that better luck next weekend :)

Double check the pistons are all the way back and see if you have a lip in the edge of the disks - that can make em tight

Zed Shed is available for modding (by appiontment only) :thumbs:

Ok round 2 done.

Alex,

You are best to refit the caliper before you fit the pads. ;)

Trying to slip the caliper over the disc with the pads fitted can sometimes be tricky.

Alex. :)

Yeah I tried that on Sunday too but didn't have any luck. The pads fit lovely and snug in without the metal shims, as soon as the metal shims come into it there doesn't seem to be a hope in hell of getting them in the calliper! I take it the shims are essential?

I thought I'd try the other rear calliper, and exactly the same thing - pads in fine without the shims, not with the shims.

Just to check is this the right order:

Inside of car

full shim

half shim (straight cut)

pad

ROTOR

pad

half shim (angled cut)

full shim

outside of car

I'm going to have one more go tomorrow before I succumb to my ineptitude and take it to a garage!