To GT or not to GT, that is the question

Leaskovski

Ok, so the GT spec is just a load of extra gubbins inside the motor, yes? Leather, Criuse, Phone Kit (sometimes)... etc?

Ive been looking on AutoTrader for one fairly local so I can go and have a look and see if I really want to go down this route or not. The problem here is that there isnt that much local that is of a GT level, and local and within budget and meets the age requirements to dodge some tax.

Would I be a fool to go none GT...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/sendtofrien ... 7414892622

Or should I wait, or (shock horror) buy private instead of trade?

I think I would buy a GT over a standard :thumbs:

If the vehicle is a far distance away, you can always get one of the forum members to check it out first to see what they think before you make the journey yo view. :thumbs:

Also if you do get one that is not local...... just think how much fun the drive home will be :drive1

I always buy private.

I tend to trust Joe Public more than I do Mr. Salesman

+1 :thumbs:

Traders tend to tear the car to pieces during their ownership and they tend to do 'bodge' temporary fixes with cheap parts.

Private sellers (especially with a 350z) tend to be enthusiasts, especially if they've kept the car for a fairly long time.

Some private sales are just as bad...doesn't matter where you buy from you have equal opportunity to fully check out the car yourself and walk away if you are not happy.

I looked for some time at Zeds and noticed that non-GTs hung around for ages whilst equivalent GTs priced higher sold much quicker. You will get a bargain with a non-GT and can probably haggle a bit more but come sale time from your perspective you will face the same challenges.

As it happens I like the BOSE system, decent sound and functional enough for me. Still waiting to make full use of the heated seats though...

Some private sales are just as bad...doesn't matter where you buy from you have equal opportunity to fully check out the car yourself and walk away if you are not happy.

I looked for some time at Zeds and noticed that non-GTs hung around for ages whilst equivalent GTs priced higher sold much quicker. You will get a bargain with a non-GT and can probably haggle a bit more but come sale time from your perspective you will face the same challenges.

As it happens I like the BOSE system, decent sound and functional enough for me. Still waiting to make full use of the heated seats though...

I cannot wait to fully use my heated seats too...I just missed the winter when I bought mine!

Someone else asked the same question on here a while back, so it might be worth searching for that thread.

The upshot is that the GT spec cars tend to sell easier than the non-GT spec. But, its up to you as to which you personally prefer. If the right car came along at the right price then I wouldnt see a problem in buying it if it was non GT.

Unfortunately there's a lot of myths around the GT pack:

• Bose Stereo (Both head units are made by Clarion and the non-Bose system is easier to upgrade)

• Rays Alloys (Optional on both models before the 06 facelift, standard on both after)

• Brembo Brakes (Standard on all UK cars, rare on JDM imports)

• Hands-Free (Fitted to both coupe models, not roadsters)

Lots of over-priced GTs go unsold for months and trade-in values are only £500 more than the base model.

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=53044

As in all forums there are forumers who post in threads who have ulterior motives and I detect this thread has those. Its interesting to note that the amateur experts in second hand values are posting but the experts such as Toby aka EH 370Z has not commented. maybe I'm just getting cynical in my old age. :yahoo::boxing:

As in all forums there are forumers who post in threads who have ulterior motives and I detect this thread has those

I guess your talking about me then :lol:

Yes my Zed is up for sale, but I woud stil buy a Zed with GT pack over a standard every time, and travel to get it. All I was saying was get a car that your happy with.... not just because its for sale and down just the road :shrug:

As in all forums there are forumers who post in threads who have ulterior motives and I detect this thread has those

I guess your talking about me then :lol:

Yes my Zed is up for sale, but I woud stil buy a Zed with GT pack over a standard every time, and travel to get it. All I was saying was get a car that your happy with.... not just because its for sale and down just the road :shrug:

Beleive it or beleive it not I wasn't thinking of you, I bought a GT myself not just because it was a GT but also It was the colour I wanted, it had very low milage and was in as new condition and it was being sold by a nissan dealer at a very acceptable price.

On another theme DoogyRev I wish you every success in your move to canada. I went there for 2 months in 1973 and one of my regrets in life was that I didn't stay there. Its a wonderfull country so good luck for the future.

B)

Beleive it or beleive it not I wasn't thinking of you, I bought a GT myself not just because it was a GT but also It was the colour I wanted, it had very low milage and was in as new condition and it was being sold by a nissan dealer at a very acceptable price.

On another theme DoogyRev I wish you every success in your move to canada. I went there for 2 months in 1973 and one of my regrets in life was that I didn't stay there. Its a wonderfull country so good luck for the future. B)

:thumbs: Thanks wesmin, I guess its changed a whole lot since 1973 :scare: ..... and yes you should have stayed :lol:

i got a non-GT, i saved a fortune and it had the rays wheels on (i wouldnt settle for a car without them) TBH, from what i hear about the bose system, its a nightmare for skipping etc, i have never had a problem with mine. it would be nice to have heated leather but the fact that i have had my car since feb and i enquired aboiut trade in value a moth ago and would only have been £250 down, im pretty happy :thumbs: i may struggle to sell it by the end of my planned ownership period but il worry about that when i get to it

GT would be nice, but if youre willing to go without leather you can save a bundle, and there are some well kept non-GTs out there. I must admit though, the standard wheels look terrible, definately go for one with RAYS

What ever you do though, DON'T RUSH into buying one.

i got a non-GT, i saved a fortune and it had the rays wheels on (i wouldnt settle for a car without them) TBH, from what i hear about the bose system, its a nightmare for skipping etc, i have never had a problem with mine. it would be nice to have heated leather but the fact that i have had my car since feb and i enquired aboiut trade in value a moth ago and would only have been £250 down, im pretty happy :thumbs: i may struggle to sell it by the end of my planned ownership period but il worry about that when i get to it

GT would be nice, but if youre willing to go without leather you can save a bundle, and there are some well kept non-GTs out there. I must admit though, the standard wheels look terrible, definately go for one with RAYS

What ever you do though, DON'T RUSH into buying one.

Depends how picky you are about options. The GT pack is all about the resale, and not a great deal about the usefulness or desirability of the options themselves! :lol:

Personally I don't like the RAYS and wasn't that bothered about paying extra to get a car with them on. Always had the intention to get some aftermarket 19s :thumbs:

I do use the cruise a lot though, fuel saver on the motorways and a nice thing to have on those average speed camera stretches!

cruise control is my biggest desire for spec, even though id only use it very occasionally! Something about the lure of feet free motorway just feels right on a sports tourer. After that, some kind of leather, and then RAYS wheels.

Am i right in thinking that while almost everything else was an option elsewhere, cruise control was ONLY available with the GT pack?

Definatley a GT, Leather, cruise, bose (even if it may have skipping issues lol) and you don't get the right side of your steering wheel blank...making it look odd....dare I say Cheap. lol And yes, def make sure you get Rays!

cruise control is my biggest desire for spec

That was a must have for me to. I use it every day on the average speed routes on my daily commute and having used it for 5 years on my old golf tdi I just had to have it on the zed. That and the seats were the bits I wanted from the GT pack. The stereo, whilst mine sounds ace, you could easily bung in an aftermarket system as they are cheap as chips now.