350Z abit gutless in gears 1 to 3?!

megatombomb

Now that ive finished pootling around in my 'new' 57 plate 350Z HR i decided to take it down the local bypass (dragstrip) to see if it could really do 0-100mph in 13.1 seconds as EVO magazine boldly claim!

1st gear take off feels like something actually quite wrong with the car (no ESP kick in) and this continues all the way until 4th gear where there is then definately a 310bhp feeling!

Is this normal in a HR Z thats got a clean bill of health and which ive just recently put in some cosworth panel filters?

Must say it left me wanting more :shrug:

I thought the same at first mate!

Did some reading on here, and read that the throttle is limited in gears 1-3 as standard on a 350. You have 2 options really:

1/ Install a throttle controller (A few guys on here sell them). This seems to free up the throttle response.

2/ Get a RevUp re-map. This removes all of the restrictions in the gearing.

Excellent news then - the car isnt buggered!

I have read a few bits about this uprev and was already interested in it to free up a little more power but now you tell me it removes these limiters i can imagine it makes quite a big difference overall on these cars!

I can understand the first gear being restricted or just rev limited a little lower but not second and definately not third! I mean these cars arent meant to be soft!!! :boxing:

Not that i am saying that the above comments are wrong because they are not, but is the clutch on the car tickety-boo? Have known one or two to have these symptoms before and its ended been the clutch slipping ;)

Did some reading on here, and read that the throttle is limited in gears 1-3 as standard on a 350. You have 2 options really:

I thought Mark claimed that to not be true a few weeks ago?

I thought Mark claimed that to not be true a few weeks ago?

+1

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=49315&hilit=100%25+throttle+in+all+gears

No we now know the car always get 100% throttle in all gears , the response of the butterfly is tweaked to be the same in all 6 gears, in stock form the butterfly is delayed behind the throttle pedal input in the lower 3 gears.

I used to think the throttle wasn't opened 100% in the lower gears but I was wrong.

Not that i am saying that the above comments are wrong because they are not, but is the clutch on the car tickety-boo? Have known one or two to have these symptoms before and its ended been the clutch slipping ;)

Had the clutch replaced just before i bought the car fella! Though i see what you are saying here... wouldnt the clutch slip in 4th also when i notice a significant difference in the pull. Its weird to find a car that pulls harder in 4th than 3rd :wacko:

I will do a few more runs tomorrow just to make sure i am not imagining it.

Was interesting to read the other thread about the butterfly repsonse being the only difference. Does this simply imply that it opens slower (i guess to make low speed progress smoother/more refined)? I need convincing on this as to me its not the response to coming on throttle that feels as noticable as the pronounced difference in pull.

Anyone else enlighten me?

It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has driven this model before/after an uprev as well!

Thanks guys

Had the clutch replaced just before i bought the car fella! Though i see what you are saying here... wouldnt the clutch slip in 4th also when i notice a significant difference in the pull. Its weird to find a car that pulls harder in 4th than 3rd :wacko:

I will do a few more runs tomorrow just to make sure i am not imagining it.

Was interesting to read the other thread about the butterfly repsonse being the only difference. Does this simply imply that it opens slower (i guess to make low speed progress smoother/more refined)? I need convincing on this as to me its not the response to coming on throttle that feels as noticable as the pronounced difference in pull.

Anyone else enlighten me?

It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has driven this model before/after an uprev as well!

Thanks guys

4ths my favourite gear :thumbs:

The car is restricted in the lower 3 gears but nt in opening % but it response, the butterfly response is much slower in the lower 3 gears.

Mega where are you based? I will up load map with just throtle response tweaked and let you try the car , if you dont like I will just suck the map back out and no charge.

The car is restricted in the lower 3 gears but nt in opening % but it response, the butterfly response is much slower in the lower 3 gears.

Mega where are you based? I will up load map with just throtle response tweaked and let you try the car , if you dont like I will just suck the map back out and no charge.

High Peak district about 20 miles south east of Manchester.

I appreciate the gesture chap, i would love to take you up on it but with work commitments over the next 2weeks it wouldnt be possible as you are quite along way from me :doh:

Have you tried this with the traction control turned off?

Some people report that it interferes far too early and that the light doesn't show it interfering when in fact it is. After turning it off they noticed an improvement in acceleration. Obviously do this at your risk. ;)

If it doesn't make any difference then I would go with the Uprev option.......you won't regret it.

I appreciate the gesture chap, i would love to take you up on it but with work commitments over the next 2weeks it wouldnt be possible as you are quite along way from me :doh:

Go and see Paul @ RS Tuning , he may not do the awesome deal like me but he will look after you re the Uprev.

Go and see Paul @ RS Tuning , he may not do the awesome deal like me but he will look after you re the Uprev.

Thanks again, I may just do this and fair play for recommending a competitor even if he's hundreds of miles from you. :clap:

Though i guess i should wait if i'm going to do the Berk HFC route. Its just a matter of funds! :thumbs:

All sounds very strange to me. Mine definately doesnt feel slow off the line. In 2nd gear, when I floor it, I can feel the back end of the car squatting down and you are thrown back in your seats. The car pulls and pulls and pulls to its 7500 redline. The "pull" in gears 3 upwards does feel stronger sometimes, but then it maybe because you are in those gears for longer. 2nd is over in a flash, 3rd takes you upto 90 then 4th to 120.

I do find with any car or motorbike ive driven, some days they feel slow, other days you are just amazed at how quick they feel. Whether or not its down to weather conditions or how your brain works ive never understood!

Depending on what you are comparing it against, or what you are used to driving the 350 may not feel quick, and to be honest, it isnt super quick for a 300+ bhp car. Id be tempted to see if you can get a test drive in another one so you can compare. Are you using super unleaded?