How reliable is DTE?

SnailHerder

While driving to work this morning my DTE warning came up on the multi function gauge. I pulled in to fill up when I realised I'd left my wallet at home - thankfully I noticed before I filled up!

My drive back is around 17 miles and my DTE is reading 32 miles. If that number is accurate I've got nothing to worry about. So my question is - how accurate in people's experience is the DTE reading?

Well.....there is one way to find out :)

If I find out exactly how accurate it is I'll be sure to post it!

Not very. IIRC Sarnie got an extra 60-80 miles before he filled up again aftert the ---- came up on his DTE. :)

If it's inaccurate in the direction of there being more fuel in the tank then that'll work well for me on my drive home tonight...

I have always found it to be fairly accurate but Nissan obviously don't want their cars running out of fuel all over the place so there is obviously a little more than is indicated. You should try to get into the habit of not running it until empty as the bag filter in the tank can get sh*tted up :thumbs:

OK, I'm feeling confident I'll get home now, as long as some selfish sod doesn't have an accident and block the A27 on the way home :boxing:

Thanks for the advice re. the bag filter. I've often heard people mention about the crap in the bottom of the tank getting sucked up when running on fumes, but wasn't sure if that was a myth or not. I'll treat her to a full tank of 99 as soon as I get back today.

OK, I'm feeling confident I'll get home now, as long as some selfish sod doesn't have an accident and block the A27 on the way home :boxing:

Thanks for the advice re. the bag filter. I've often heard people mention about the crap in the bottom of the tank getting sucked up when running on fumes, but wasn't sure if that was a myth or not. I'll treat her to a full tank of 99 as soon as I get back today.

I thought it was a myth also, now with plastic fuel tanks rather than metal?

There are lots of ways dirt can get into the fuel including sediments. After it is produced it is held in a holding tank, then taken to the petrol station in a tanker then held in the petrol station's tank before ending up in your car's fuel tank. Lots of places dirt can be picked up. Try not to let your car run on empty. :thumbs:

Exactly what the man said :thumbs: One local garage to me let a friend of mine fill up and when he went to pay they told him that pump should have had cones around it. He asked if there were any issues and they told him their tanks were very low and susceptible to sucking cr*p through :surrender:

Thats shocking in todays age! After all if crap is building up at the bottom of the tank, that means there is always a finite amount in there, whats stopping it from going through the filter anyway when the fuel is sloshed about as you drive? Does it sit at the bottom as sludge? You would expect eventually the buildup would get so bad that it will get sucked through anyway unless is gets disolved over time or something?

All the bag filters I have ever and inside of 20 or so 350z fuel tanks never have sludge in. You usually only get what appears to be flakes of paint (very small) in there. Also I always try to avoid small garages that don't get refuelled with fuel as often and ALWAYS stay away from any fuel station that has water flooding. Going back 2 or so ago we saw loads of cars with water contaminated fuel! I didn't think this could happen but it appears it can :bangin:

Good to know :thumbs:

So I guess normally the flecks manage to settle on the bottom of the tank, otherwise if they are always suspended in the fuel theres no way you can keep them from the filter (by avoiding low fuel) other than getting your fuel from a good source.

Ye and dont use old sh*tty jerry cans to put fuel in your car or plastic ones which have had other stuff in apart from fuel. If you do fill up with jerry cans when doing track days etc get a funnel with a decent filter to catch the cr*p :thumbs:

The bag filter on the pump in the tank catches all the contaminants but if flakes stick to the bag and stay there and more build up it will put more stress on your pump. Only had one pump give up from this and it got very loud first :dry:

Ive done my old commute on ---- and that was around 36miles so no need to panic. I realised this when i first got the car and paniced when the light came on and then only squeezed 62ltrs in :wacko:

Sounds like DTE is very conservative then, which is a good thing. But I'll keep that tank healthily topped up in future.

I filled to brim last night when DTE was showing 27 miles - it usually goes to ---- at 20 miles on mine, I managed to get 68 litres in so 12 litres left in the tank. At 5 miles per litre (conservative) that is around 60 miles.

With the dirt in the tank issue, of all the modern petrol tanks I've looked into it is very very rare to see any kind of dirt. Usually they look brand new!

Hi,

I've only had my Zed about a month so still learning all of the ins and outs. My fuel warning light came on last week and the display went from showing 39 miles to 36 and then 27 in a couple of minutes (I was doing about 50mph on country roads). It then fluctuated between 27 and 36 for about 10 minutes before, I assume, thinking I had over 40 miles remaining and the light went off and the display returned to normal (ie showing the time).

Is this normal for the 350z?

S.

I drove the whole of the last DTE. It shows flashing - after about 25 left and I drove more than that then some then chickened out and put in all of 75 litres and over £100 to fill it. That was sore.

So on that basis DTE on mine is approx. whatever it says plus about 30 miles safety margin.

I have run my 19 year old 300ZX TT completely dry and it didnt do it any harm either. Fuel filters catch anything iffy these days.

when i arranged a test drive at my nearest nissan dealership, was a little concerned that when the salesman got in the car, and we were about to set off when we noticed the dte read ----. So we puled into the garage adjacent to the dealership and he put £10 of fuel in. Ignition back on, dte still read ----.!!. Test drive convinced me that this was the car i wanted and at least i know i have some miles to spare when the reading gets low. Have also noted that reading jumps from 20 to ---- in no time