Throttle controller connection advice

MadGrip

Ive just recieved my D1 Spec Throttle Controller (Thanks Alex) and after reading the instructions, theres a few things I'd like a bit of advice with.

I understand that theres a connection for the throttle switch under the pedal, and a connection to the OBD socket

The questions are:

Theres a yellow wire that I believe is to be connected to a permenant live for a memory setting, Is that correct & if so, wheres the best place to get a permenant live feed from.

Theres also wires to go to the speed and brake sensors. Are these really necessary? it seems to me that its for some speed warning system or something, what have you done with them?

and a silly question, but where is the OBD socket on the 350Z.

Lastly, does anyone have any pics of where theyve installed the control unit.

I'll be out first thing in the morning to fit it :teeth:

Cheers

Phil

Don't know if they have changed wiring since first version but I simply unplugged current cable from pedal, plugged in D1 then plugged the cable I just unplugged into the back of the D1 connector.

Then plugged the ODB cable into the socket directly under the steering wheel, you will find it by feeling about under there.

No need for any other cables.

I mounted my controller just to right of rev counter longwise.

Wait till you get it fitted, stick it into SP5 or above and you won't be able to punch that grin off your face.

Thanks for the reply. I don't think the wireing couldve changed that much as from what you said it does seem pretty straight forward and similar to the unit that I have. The only worry I've got is that there 3 extra wires, one which needs a permanent feed for a memory setting, which shouldn't be too difficult to do providing I can find a permanent 12 volt supply, then theres the 2 other wires, one for the speed sensor and one for a brake sensor. Hopefully I can just connect everything else up and disregard these two, but it'd be nice to know it won't cause any problems before I go out and start the install

Well it's installed and I'm happy now. Just for this who end up getting one, even though the plug says it's for a 350z, it dosnt fit and after asking the supplier for help the response was basically, tough, that's what you get with a diy install :bangin: big help. hmmm.

Anyway, after a bit of cocking about and cutting the connector it's now working and I didn't need to give it a live feed or connect up any of the other 2 wires

Well it's installed and I'm happy now. Just for this who end up getting one, even though the plug says it's for a 350z, it dosnt fit and after asking the supplier for help the response was basically, tough, that's what you get with a diy install :bangin: big help. hmmm.

Anyway, after a bit of cocking about and cutting the connector it's now working and I didn't need to give it a live feed or connect up any of the other 2 wires

That is a bit harsh Phil.

I responded to your PM this afternoon within minutes and what I was trying to say to you was that with a DIY install it was very common for peeps to fix the connector back to front or upside down which does not allow it to click home properly.

At no time did I suggest what you have written in your post.

I am always available to help peeps with install issues even over the weekends and evenings and also even if they have not bought the parts from me.

Alex.

I responded to your PM this afternoon within minutes and what I was trying to say to you was that with a DIY install it was very common for peeps to fix the connector back to front or upside down which does not allow it to click home properly.

I am always available to help peeps with install issues even over the weekends and evenings and also even if they have not bought the parts from me.

Alex.

+1 on that being a harsh comment

and

+1 on any advice from Alex I have had has been clear, concise and offering to be available at pretty much anytime to help those in need.

Alex.

+1 on that being a harsh comment

and

+1 on any advice from Alex I have had has been clear, concise and offering to be available at pretty much anytime to help those in need.

+2 on everything he says :stupid::) (there was no up arrow smilie) :lol:

"I'm with stupid"......... thats a bit harsh Neil ;) ................... :lol::lol:

I'll plus 2 that haha we need an arrow up smilie to save fights on the forum hahaha ;):lol::blush:

"I'm with stupid"......... thats a bit harsh Neil ;) ................... :lol::lol:

I'll plus 2 that haha we need an arrow up smilie to save fights on the forum hahaha ;):lol::blush:

:lol::lol::lol:

You were right the first time....... I am very stupid at some things :blush:

... after asking the supplier for help the response was basically, tough, that's what you get with a diy install :bangin: big help. hmmm.

+3 to the other responses.

I don't believe for a second that Alex would have said or even implied what is being stated here. :angry:

Sorry if thats how it seems Alex, but it wasnt intended. I've been very happy with the purchases Ive had from you, hence writing supplier and not giving your name.

I did think this was a plug & play item though and wouldnt involve me having to cut up connectors to enable it to fit

However, just so you know, the plug that comes with the unit really does not fit, no matter which way round its plugged. I had to take 2 small lugs off the plug & also a large amount of white plastic from within the plug to enable it to fit.

It all working now, so no harm done, but it mite give you a heads up if anyone else pm's you about fitting details, I shouldve taken photos really.

Cheers

Phil

The white plastic whithin the plug is designed to be removable for proper contact of the pins and it needs to be removed to click perfectly on UK zed otherwise no other cutting/modding is required :thumbs:

I am not a zmanalex fanboy member and i have bought loads from him and he's usually forthright and unambiguous :lol:

Sorry if thats how it seems Alex, but it wasnt intended. I've been very happy with the purchases Ive had from you, hence writing supplier and not giving your name.

I did think this was a plug & play item though and wouldnt involve me having to cut up connectors to enable it to fit

However, just so you know, the plug that comes with the unit really does not fit, no matter which way round its plugged. I had to take 2 small lugs off the plug & also a large amount of white plastic from within the plug to enable it to fit.

It all working now, so no harm done, but it mite give you a heads up if anyone else pm's you about fitting details, I shouldve taken photos really.

Cheers

Phil

No drama Phil, I was just a bit unhappy that you were inferring that I did not give a @*!# that you were having a fitment issue.

I am sorry that you had issues with the fitment of the loom ends and that I was not able to give you an immediate fix.

I have sold hundreds of the D1 controllers and 11 of the V3 and the only issues have been human fitment error.

However I am always prepared to take on board constructive criticism regarding my after sales service or my products.

After reading your post, I personally went and trial fitted a V3 and it was totally plug and play.

If you would be kind enough to PM me over your VIN then I would like to look into this further to try and establish why you had a fitment issue as you should not have had to pare at the plastic block connector.

Was it the (smaller ot the two) male connector or the larger female that you had to pare?

Alex.

Without moving the Audi to move the van to get the zed out of the garage I'll try describe as easy as possible.

I removed the plug from the accelerator and easily plugged the plug from the supplied loom back to the pedal, the problem I had was attaching it to the plug that is part if the car loom. It would only plugin one way, but would not connect properly as there were 2 or 3 lugs on the supplied loom which had no where to go, so I removed them with a sharp blade, this would enable it to go a little further but not enough to make a contact.

After spending some time looking at your loom & the loom of the car I decided to remove all the White plastic, particularly the "H" shaped part in the middle of the D1 spec plug. After a bit of wiggling, swearing and pushing, it eventually went into place. It still did not however feel very secure, so I've enforced it with a couple of very tight cable ties.

I'll get the car out again tomorrow & try take a couple of pictures which I'll send you along with the vin number,

Hope this makes sense

Cheers

Phil

Phil, your problem makes sense, that's not an Alex thing, that's a D1 Throttle Controller thing.

I have a V1 controller, and it did that. I didn't get it from Alex.

And Alex is spot on, people do fit the plug upside down (I did :doh: ), it's very easily done. I had to figure that one out for myself as I was one of the first with a D1 Throttle Controller.

I'd say the fitment of one of the plugs is "Ok, but not as secure as I'd like", mines been on for a year or so, it's fine mate. It's not ideal mate, and the fitment should be better, but it's not, but it's fine, don't worry about it.