Scrap value of Cats ( the ones on your car! )

leonk

Can any one confirm a comment in the for sale section that Zed cats have a scrap value of £120.00??

This would seriously influence my decision to treat myself to some Berks. The heat shields on mine are rattling.

Cheers

Don't cats have a special material in them thats very expensive?

I remember reading that it was a good idea to get shares in any mining company who deals with it specifically.

That might be why they have a high scrap value.

The catalyst in the converter is platinum hence the street value. All metals are priced high at the minute, around here there has been a lot of roofing lead nicked too. A display car we had on a ramp was recently assaulted they had got underneath and taken to nuts off the exhaust but didnt get it off the car. Bloody thieves :bang:

My best friend works for a catylists company. This is what he has to say on it.

Diesel cars cats have more precious metals in.

Diesel = Platinum and Rhodium

Petrol = Paladium and Rhodium (and a tiny tiny portion of platium)

However, we are talking vary small amounts of precious metals overall.

In his opinion (he is a high up chemist), you are talking a value of £10 (ten) max per cat.

Around my way the thieves who normally drive transit pickups and nick scrap metal seem to be focus`ing on cats, especially those from 4x4s. Good luck if they can get them off quickly and quietly, i wouldnt fancy getting those off my zed, they would be rusted on solid id expect.

Scrap prices vary considerably, so shop about. A few months back I took about 1/2 tonne of scrap in and didnt get as much as I thought for it.