Power dropping out on diesel

Carla

Not our normal area of expertise but I don't like straying from here.....there are bigger boys out there and they'll pick on me :boxing:

The Lancer has developed an odd issue - cruising along on the motorway or on occasion even under acceleration the power just drops out completely.....to get it back you have to knock into neutral and back into gear - then its fine again.

Its as if the accelerator pedal has literally been cut off.

It happens really intermittently but at least 4/5 times a week.

Its the Lancer D-ID 2 liter Pumpe Duse engine (the VW unit out of the old Golf TDI).

Any thoughts?

have you hooked it up to any kind of OBDII reader? there maybe giveaway codes on the ECU, not all codes stored will send up DTC warning lights.

next i;d be looking at the MAF take it out give it a clean with some carb cleaner, might be getting dodgy air readings and therefore making the ECU cut the power.

have you hooked it up to any kind of OBDII reader? there maybe giveaway codes on the ECU, not all codes stored will send up DTC warning lights.

next i;d be looking at the MAF take it out give it a clean with some carb cleaner, might be getting dodgy air readings and therefore making the ECU cut the power.

ahhhh not I didn't know that - thought if the light wasn't on nothing registered. I'll hook it up tomorrow and see if anything is logged.

Obvious question (which I omitted above) it also has a plug in chip into the MAP sensor which has performed fine for 2 years - I would whip it out but Mitsi helpfully wired the damn thing in last time they had the car in! :doh:

Simple job this one

Remove said ugly car off drive, take to nearest Porsche dealer and trade in for a coxter...

The problem should dissapear completely :thumbs:

Great idea but I'm looking to downsize........which means I'd get raped on the trade in - need to flog privately really.

Quite tempted to try and straight chop for this http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

Reckon I'd be mugging myself though.

Not our normal area of expertise but I don't like straying from here.....there are bigger boys out there and they'll pick on me :boxing:

The Lancer has developed an odd issue - cruising along on the motorway or on occasion even under acceleration the power just drops out completely.....to get it back you have to knock into neutral and back into gear - then its fine again.

Its the Lancer D-ID 2 liter Pumpe Duse engine (the VW unit out of the old Golf TDI).

Any thoughts?

the exact same thing happens in my work car, its a fiat 2.4 Turbo diesel. the turbo seems to not work, if i dump the clutch and let the revs drop to tick over the bring it up it works again. christ knows what it is

Any thoughts?

the exact same thing happens in my work car, its a fiat 2.4 Turbo diesel. the turbo seems to not work, if i dump the clutch and let the revs drop to tick over the bring it up it works again. christ knows what it is

Hmm thats useful because it tells me its probably not the chip then.

Any thoughts?

Hmm thats useful because it tells me its probably not the chip then.

im starting to think that there is a split in one of the hoses or a lambda sensor. but im just guessing :shrug:

could be a fueling issue. do you get any noises, like a knocking sound if you try to gently rev it when the power is dropping?

have you tried planting your foot to see if you can power through it.

Its literally dead when it goes mate - accelerator does nada - you can deck it to the floor and it won't do anything - its as if you've taken your foot fully off the pedal when it goes.

is the mitsi drive by wire like the zed, i.e is the pedal actually connected directly to the engine with a cable or is it going to a wire that then tells the engine what to do?

its odd how taking it out of gear and back into gear seems to clear the problem.

if it was a vac leak i would expect the issue to be continuos and not sporadic. in frequency would suggest an electrical fault. but not gaurenteed.

i reckon you can rule out injectors as if they were missfiring or blocked you'd get a lumpy idle or aceleration. same would be if it was the coil packs and glow plugs.

my money is on a sensor issue, be it maf, or O2, which could be caused by dodgy sensor, or an external factor like a leaky hose or something that impacts the sensor.

Could it be a blockage in the fuel system or air in the system. Sounds like the engine is struggling to get something. Is it going onto Limb mode?

you'd get missfires and on a 4 cyclinder you would know as it would be horribly lumpy

could be a fueling issue. do you get any noises, like a knocking sound if you try to gently rev it when the power is dropping?

have you tried planting your foot to see if you can power through it.

Its literally dead when it goes mate - accelerator does nada - you can deck it to the floor and it won't do anything - its as if you've taken your foot fully off the pedal when it goes.

hmmmm, not good. with my very limited mechanical knowledge i cant really be of any assistance, but i will ask the lads at work tomorrow and text you with any ideas. think you may have to take it somewhere to be looked at though. maybe a trip to visit the sunny north east and have falcon look at it for you. Casa Bowey always open to friends

Throttle position sensor in the throttle body could be clogged up. Strip it and clean it with carb cleaner. also check that the wiring to the sensor hasn't developed a fault, i.e. chaffed or even broken off at the PCB on the sensor as that could cause a temporary fault.

Best to get the fault code first if there is one and go from there.

My money is on the accelerator.

They are drive by wire on them, same as on the golfs. Not sure if a code will be logged when they are playing up, but possibly.

Certainly worth plugging it in and doing a scan as if they are anything like VW`s they will log every little thing which will make diagnosing this easier.

Sounds like the TPS

Quick update and a question.

a) stripped everything down with the intention of working my way to the throttle body (using my experiance with the Zed as a basis). Assumed I'd work back from the airbox and come to it...........first thing I came too was the turbo? Does a TD even have a throttle body?

B) removed the piggyback chip on Saturday and although not driven much I've not had an issue since.

Also ordered up a fuel filter too.

There are a few things on the VW pumpe-duse that this might be. Is the car smoking badly? Black smoke would indicate bad fuelling and white/blue smoke would be the probably be the turbo. The likely problem would be a split or dislodged boost hose or even intercooler, although I'd expect that to be low on power all the time unless it's a minor leak. You should hear the turbo spinning and an air leak somewhere.

Other culprits might be a dirty Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR - looks like a throttle butterfly), temperature sensor (cheap and easy), MAF, injector loom, or fuel pump. The PD TDi 150 engine can have issues with worn cam shaft lobes and tappets, especially if PD oil hasn't been used, but this is rare and i think more common on the earlier (2002/3?) engines. Let's hope it isn't this as it's expensive.

Hope this helps, good luck :thumbs:

Cheers Leeroy......thats really helpful.

It seems to be cured since I slung the aftermarket chip.

Its still pulling fine, not kicking out any dirty crap, doing 50-60MPG so seems to be all good in the hood.

I did discover that I didn't have to knock it into neutral to get it to respond to the accelerator though...........the revs just had to drop really low then it would catch again.

As I said though my feeling is it was the chip. Changing the fuel filter tomorrow though just to be on the safe side (its was due a good service anyways).

There are a few things on the VW pumpe-duse that this might be. Is the car smoking badly? Black smoke would indicate bad fuelling and white/blue smoke would be the probably be the turbo. The likely problem would be a split or dislodged boost hose or even intercooler, although I'd expect that to be low on power all the time unless it's a minor leak. You should hear the turbo spinning and an air leak somewhere.

Other culprits might be a dirty Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR - looks like a throttle butterfly), temperature sensor (cheap and easy), MAF, injector loom, or fuel pump. The PD TDi 150 engine can have issues with worn cam shaft lobes and tappets, especially if PD oil hasn't been used, but this is rare and i think more common on the earlier (2002/3?) engines. Let's hope it isn't this as it's expensive.

Hope this helps, good luck :thumbs:

All of those tho id expect to be causing power problems all the time, not on / off. Split hoses / intercooler issue would mean air leak and reduced power. Temp sensor would mean fueling normally runs rich, but the car does run fine, but has starting problems and poor fuel consumption, MAF usually means reduced power but driving okay.

Glad the OP seems to have found the problem with the "chip". Hopefully that will resolve things.

You certainly should give the car a service. I used to service my PD Golf myself and fuel filter, oil filter, air filter, pollen filter and the proper PD rated oil used to come in at £50. Used to take me exactly 15minutes to do. If you do it regularly the car will last you a long time. I got 165,000 miles out of mine before I decided to sell it, and it still drove like it was brand new.

Its still pulling fine, not kicking out any dirty crap, doing 50-60MPG so seems to be all good in the hood.

Happy days.

I didn't realise Mitsubishi used the PD engine. It's a great unit especially in 150bhp guise - is that option in the Lancer?

Have you thought about a proper re-map (AMD/REVO)? Big gains for little cash - you don't hear that said much on this forum :lol:

Happy days.

I didn't realise Mitsubishi used the PD engine. It's a great unit especially in 150bhp guise - is that option in the Lancer?

Have you thought about a proper re-map (AMD/REVO)? Big gains for little cash - you don't hear that said much on this forum :lol:

Aye they've got a nasty 1.5 petrol, not quite so nasty 1.8 (but still pretty nasty) and the dub PD unit (noisey but its a gusty little beggar).

To be honest the chip did give some extra poke but the Lancer can't put it down.........specially with it being a diesel - its just torque steers everywhere and all the power comes in a typically dieselesque blob - it may look a sports car but its a family saloon at heart. Shame they didn't stick 4wd on it to be honest.

I did a full service on it the other day (aside from fuel filter which I'm gonna to tomorrow).......even thought its only 3 years old I just couldn't stomach giving any money to Mitsi to drop the oil and change an air filter.

The service schedule is bull too.........they don't even change the air filter for the 2nd service........it was bloody filthy. I'm doing it by myself and keeping all the invoicing for the parts from now on.