Stelvio pass

SidewysJay

Went there.... I think it's a little overrated in my opinion.

When coming down, you literally just drive straight, brake hard, do an about turn, floor it again, brake sharply {repeat until your brakes cook and you nearly go off the cliff}.

not sure how they rated it the best driving road in the world. The scenary is breathtaking though.

Did it last year in my RX8. It's not the "best driving road in the world" :thumbdown: It's a torturous journey up there from the Italian end, and at this time of the year will be full of **** bikers who don't give a f*ck.

It is spectacular when you reach the summit. It's a dangerous road on the way up, couple of pitch black tunnels with room for one lane only and blind bends in them.

Do it though but be careful, enjoy :thumbs:

I was planing on doing it next month with a friend in his vx220 but unfortunately he's recently written it off in Scotland so we plan to delay it til next year. Scenery looks fantastic, can't wait to go.

Hope you enjoy it and take lots of pics

I agree 100% with G Man... breathtaking scenery and gorgeous landscape but as far as driving is concerned, very narrow road full of 180 degree turns, very difficult to overtake, numerous rude bikers and a 350Z that is catching its breath because of the alltitude and steep upphill :boxing:

When you reach the top though it is magnificent :)

You mean they don't close the road for us like they did on Top Gear? :console:

:lol: I wish :surrender: It is stunning but it'll be mobbed, I suppose it's one of those must do roads though :shrug: A much better and more fulfilling road is The Gorge du Verdun, this is where Clarkson raced the two skinny hippy climbers and tested the RS4, now that is worth it, hit it at the right time, around 6-7ish in the evening, and it's breathtakingly stupendous, even my, normally, speed limiting governor of a mrs, was egging me on :cloud9:

Hang a right at Castellane on the Route Napoleon, do the north side, which I thought was the high side, lunch or dinner at Moustier San Marie, then take on the south side :drive1:cloud9: You can even do it en route to Stelvio, albeit a longer route, with a quick stopover In Monte Carlo.

I guarantee absolute satisfaction, or I'll pay your fuel bill :thumbs::lol:

:lol: ^^

To sidewysJay, if you're going that way, once you rejoin the Route Napoleon, look at your map/set sat nav for Gourdon, restaurant there called the Eagles Nest (no not Hitlers mountain log cabin :lol: ), the best lunch we've ever had in France, ever :thumbs:

Google it ;)

:lol: ^^

To sidewysJay, if you're going that way, once you rejoin the Route Napoleon, look at your map/set sat nav for Gourdon, restaurant there called the Eagles Nest (no not Hitlers mountain log cabin :lol: ), the best lunch we've ever had in France, ever :thumbs:

Google it ;)

Or you could visit Haque Mahmood at his take away emporium on Chalvey Road in Slough..........its the 4th best fast food you'll eat in Slough.

Only been there once, I did it with 3 mates in a 1992 190E Merc 1.8 it was f'in purgatory! We were on this thing called Student Brakeaway. We cooked the clutch on the way up and the brakes on the way down to be honest we didn't have the best car for the situation. It's one hell of a climb up for a disappointing descent as said above you floor it on a little straight and have to brake hard for the corners. That said the scenery is stunning!

Or you could visit Haque Mahmood at his take away emporium on Chalvey Road in Slough..........its the 4th best fast food you'll eat in Slough.

Not far from where I used to work in Brunel Way. What are the top 3 eateries then? :teeth:

it's b***dy awesome !!! once i get my lap top back i will be posting pix n vids. had a camera mounted on the dash all they way up and down. Also did san bernadino davos millau grand st bernard pass monte carlo montreux.......... :teeth:

Right we made it to monaco, 887 miles done in 14 hours. The car has done well although developed a ticking noise on idle from the engine bay. oil is fine, coolant slightly low. After leaving it to cool down over night the ticking has gone which only leads me to believe its a symptom when warm. ill see how it goes on the next leg towards italy.

With any luck it isnt serious o_0

Yeah man. having an absolute blast appart from some french bint who decided to flip us the bird for no apparent reason at nice. the drive through the tunnels around monaco/menton were phenominal, its something ive always wanted to do. But time to relax by the ocean for a while before hitting the road again. Ill def get a load of pics and vids for when we're home :thumbs:

Sounds like it could be a fuel damper :)

Right we made it to monaco, 887 miles done in 14 hours. The car has done well although developed a ticking noise on idle from the engine bay. oil is fine, coolant slightly low. After leaving it to cool down over night the ticking has gone which only leads me to believe its a symptom when warm. ill see how it goes on the next leg towards italy.

With any luck it isnt serious o_0