This could be interesting................

glrnet

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frank Turner (legend!)

Frank is indeed a legend!

I've seen him live 7 times now, and he just gets better each time.

England Keep My Bones is a great album (easily better than Poetry of the Deed).

I quite agree - seen him a fair few times now too including a really special gig at Union Chapel in London last year. Very unsual venue but awesome stuff! The guy just seems 100% genuine and clearly loves and is passionate about his music :) Just been listening to England Keep My Bones this afternoon and it's quality stuff after the slight disappointment of POTD :thumbs:

Frank Turner (legend!)

I quite agree - seen him a fair few times now too including a really special gig at Union Chapel in London last year. Very unsual venue but awesome stuff! The guy just seems 100% genuine and clearly loves and is passionate about his music :) Just been listening to England Keep My Bones this afternoon and it's quality stuff after the slight disappointment of POTD :thumbs:

I love this thread!!!!

I just rushed out and bought England Keep My Bones :blush:

Great stuff :thumbs:

Just listening to Peggy sang the blues :band:

Sick of it All (always have to have some Noo York hardcore in there :band:

Great band, got a cracked nose at the glagow Garage when they were touring for Built to Last. :wiggle: Agnostic Front done a geat gig about the same time.

WRT guitar, do you like satriani/malmsteen/vai/kenny wayne sheppard?

Satch is a guitar :lol: G3 played at the SECC a few years ago, was unable to go so as a bit gutted (line-up at the time was with Vai and John Petrucci), mate came back with perforated eardrum 'cause he'd been standing next to the P.A. and he felt it go when Satiani was holding a pinch harmonic during Flying In A Blue Dream

Frank Turner (legend!)

I love this thread!!!!

I get goosepimples everytime I hear English Curse.

Frank Turner (legend!)

I love this thread!!!!

I get goosepimples everytime I hear English Curse.

Very powerful vocal.... :clap:

I still believe is my favourite so far.... it's a corker :#1:

Great idea for a thread this, and a nice twist on the usual listing of what bands people are into that has done the rounds a few times I think??

Way back in the 80s I was a young lad and I used to listen mainly to the radio and whatever pop stuff was popular at the time. However this all changed in 1987 when tapes(!) of Guns n Roses' 'Appetite for Destruction' started doing the rounds at school. I was aged 9/10 at the time and it blew my mind! Managed to pursuade my parents to get it for me for my birthday (don't think they knew what they were buying haha) and that set me off on a path for a good few years of listening to plenty of, what I guess you could call 'Popular Rock' (Iron Maiden, Bon Jovi, Skid Row, Metallica etc etc)..............

Then epiphany number two came in 1993 when I saw a vid for Sepultura's 'Refuse/Resist' on TV. Anyone who is familiar with this band will know that the vocalist has a good metal growl on him, so at first I thought 'what is up with this guy's voice?! :lol: But the heavy, crunchy guitar drew me in and I kept listening to it. Eventually I was sold and bought the album 'Chaos AD'.......

Basically that lead to all the mid-nineties metal bands like Fear Factory, Machine Head etc etc and also a whole load of more underground metal and also punk/hardcore once I discovered Sick of it All's 'Call to Arms' album in the mid-90s. At that time (along with every rock fan I think!) I was also getting my fill of 'nu-metal' (Korn, Bizkit, Hed(pe) etc and even POD for one album only!)

These days it seems to me there is not a lot of good metal around really tbh. A lot of bands seem to sound VERY similar, so I basically listen to more punk/hardcore type stuff than anything else. Current faves are:

Off With Their Heads

Frank Turner (legend!)

Defeater

Menzingers

Polar Bear Club

Devil's Brigade

H2O and Sick of it All (always have to have some Noo York hardcore in there :band: )

Anyway I think I've probably banged on way too long here! :lol: Hopefully some of you are still reading and know some of the bands I'm on about!!

P.s just got Machine Head tickets for Wembley in December. Wooooooaaaaaarrggghhhh! :yahoo:

Dont mind a bit of this quite partial to a touch of the Def Tones myself. Good hit that man!

I'll get in with this before someone else does:

10 years old, TOTP, Thursday night October 1974:

Enough of Slade, enough of The Osmonds, enough of The Wombles:

Ran in to the kitchen shouting "Mum, there's a man on the telly singing........and he's got a sword!!"

Slightly inaccurate (cut-off microphone stand) but this led me to 37 years of fan-dom.

Take it away Fred:

Just watched that video and all I can think of is that Russell Brand and Freddy would be like two peas in a pod, their sexual preferences notwithstanding of course :blush:

For me it was Dr Dre and have always had the majority of Rap in any of my cars ever since.

Dont mind a bit of this quite partial to a touch of the Def Tones myself. Good hit that man!

Too right - White Pony and Adrenaline are both classic albums :band:

Also feel Papa Roach is a massively under rated band in the UK :band:

I watched Deftones at Leeds Fest in 2009.

Desperately disapointing as that was the year they had issues with the sound of the main stage.

I kinda liked Papa Roach when they first came onto the scene in 1999. They were just that little bit different to the "nu-metal" that was being touted around.

Think they pretty rapidly lost their way after "Infest" though.

I seem to remember Jo Whiley making the lead singer cry live on Radio 1.

Desperately disapointing as that was the year they had issues with the sound of the main stage.

I kinda liked Papa Roach when they first came onto the scene in 1999. They were just that little bit different to the "nu-metal" that was being touted around.

What did she do? Show him her hairy toes?

Metal all the way for me :thumbs:

Involved in a small way ( ;) those who know) in the NWOBHM revolution in the early 80's as well as contributing to various other bands over the years.

Music in the 80's was associated with a way of life, something that cannot be said of the bands of today :dry:

Metal all the way for me :thumbs:

Involved in a small way ( ;) those who know) in the NWOBHM revolution in the early 80's as well as contributing to various other bands over the years.

Music in the 80's was associated with a way of life, something that cannot be said of the bands of today :dry:

Which NWOBHM band??

I think the it's a tricky one now. Even 'alternative' music seems to have become more of a viable way to make a living than it used to be in the 80's/early 90s, which is great for the bands that deserve it but means you do end up with all manner of sh*te out there (Glamour of the Kill and My Passion both spring to mind!). There are still great bands that slog their guts out for very little reward and it's most definitely still a way of life though.

What did she do? Show him her hairy toes?

:lol::lol:

Ah Infest was classic - you can't beat cutting some shapes to 'Last Resort' when totally wasted :lol:

Also an excellent video between angels and insects with the roaches coming out of his mouth an that!

Picking up the point of lost direction, I felt the same way about linkin park after hybrid theory

I wonder if you are feeling a bit of sound garden too...?

Great thread!

If I was to pick one band, at one moment in time, that cemented my music/life style of choice it would be Nirvana and Grunge

Here's my jackanory to bore you all. :yawn:

I always had an interest in music from a young age due to my Dad being a Keyboard player and teacher, but as a child I loved the pop thing and found myself happiest when listing to Shakin' Stevens and Michael Jackson. :lol: Although my first and favourite Cassette was Electro 10 and that was B) I don't know where it came from 'cos my mum was into the Beatles and any 80's disco she could wiggle her arse to :dance: , and my Dad was into Pink Floyd, Led Zeplin, Kinks etc.. (He actually wrote a song with the Kinks as a teenager but that's a different story)

So...Me (Just turned 13) and my brother (15) were on a caravan holiday with the parents at Camber sands and we meet these 3 girls in the camp-site arcade playing Double Dragon. :boxing: They were from Southampton and were a couple/few years older than us.

So we got chatting and got invited back to their Caravan for a drink (and we were hoping a snog was on the cards as we quite liked two them ;) ) We arrived in their caravan and the joss sticks were already burning. We shared out the White Lightning and MD 20/20 :drunk: while the girls made some funny looking cigarettes. :blush: Out came the 'Wog box' or 'Ghetto blaster' what ever it was called at the time, and I was blown away by the Grunge. :band: Nevermind had just been released and that was the first of many albums played that night but I was hooked.

We had a great time and :gathering: soon became :group: making it a very memorable night and holiday.

A week later I bought Nevermind and Bleach and in the months to follow, Sonic youth, Mudhoney, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins were all members of my now growing collection.

That year Me and my Bro' learned to play guitar and drums and started years of being in various bands.

Through my teens my choice of music was mainly Grunge/Alternative/Indie or older stuff such as Hendrix, The Doors etc... Basically anything I could either jump around to or 'smoke' to. :wacko: and If I wasn't 'gigging' with a band I was at a festival. :yahoo:

I did also very much liked the alternative dance...Prodigy, Leftfield, Chemical Brothers, Goldie etc....

So I suppose that night in the Caravan shaped my life in a way (well my teens anyway) but as this isn't my auto biography I'll shut up now. :D

A real mixture of genres on my ipod at the moment from slow and mushy (not many of those) to dance/trance to rock and heavy metal but I have to say the most memorable tracks from growing up (i'm an 80s baby), which I think were originally heard through family members (mainly dad and older brother) and which I still love now are

U2 - with or without you

REM - everybody hurts

Guns n roses - november rain

Guns n roses - knocking on heavens door

Not the most cheerful or upbeat songs but then truly ironic ones generally aren't lol

Nirvana and Grunge

I totally glossed over the whole grunge thing. Oops! Although it was probably not as much of an epiphany for me as the stuff I mentioned. Soundgarden I am indeed feeling, although my knowledge only extends to Superunknown really...............epic album though :)

Also an excellent video between angels and insects with the roaches coming out of his mouth an that!

Picking up the point of lost direction, I felt the same way about linkin park after hybrid theory

Everyone loves a bit of Black Hole Sun.

I was always baffled at how you could take the best parts of Soundgarden, and the best parts of RATM, and end up with something as poor as Audioslave.

On paper, it should have been amazing.....but it just wasn't.

I'm glad that both bands have reformed and started over again.

Like you, I stopped listening to Linkin Park after Hybrid Theory. Although, I was never a huge fan anyway to be honest.

Everyone loves a bit of Black Hole Sun.

I was always baffled at how you could take the best parts of Soundgarden, and the best parts of RATM, and end up with something as poor as Audioslave.

On paper, it should have been amazing.....but it just wasn't.

I'm glad that both bands have reformed and started over again.

Like you, I stopped listening to Linkin Park after Hybrid Theory. Although, I was never a huge fan anyway to be honest.

Couldn't aggree more. Now then Incubus - discuss..... :lol:

Great band again not alot of air time tho