Worth updating the sat nav software in my 370?

sipar69

Picking up on a point above - I would say that my local dealer - Desira Norwich - have tried their hardest as well to get an answer and are as h.cked off as I am with the customer service team.

When the dealers openly complain about Nissan Customer Service ........

Oh well

Andrew

Yes I had the same thing asking about the 40th Edition and my dealer was very annoyed with them as they wouldnt answer the question. It was only when we made contact with some of the chaps in marketing at NMGB that we got some answers. The problem asking them about SatNav is its very complicated compared to what they normally have to deal with so they dont have a clue :bang:

Anyone know what map version is in the latest 2011 version of the Premium Connect? If they are any later that Sept 2009 then it proves the map data exists.

The NAGTROC forum were told that there was no update for the US maps and then discovered that new cars had an updated map.

The dealer managed to get in contact with the European product manager for the 370 - apparently he is unable to get a firm date! He was also curious if we can find a way past some of the problems with the SatNav (in particular loading your own set of POIs) as driving round Europe he finds it very limiting!

Regards

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Had a poke around at my local dealer over the weekend - what a surprise! All cars with a Premium Connect system that had been delivered the previous week have maps that are dated 2010-11!!!!

So if you want to have an updated map you need to buy a new car! Well I suppose that is one way to boost new car sales.

Needless to say the local dealer are VERY pi..ed off and are writing to Nissan for an explanation given the fact that I copied them the response above that came from Customer Services.

Andrew

• 3 months later...

This is why I would never consider an OEM satnav device, hugely expensive and very poor aftersales updates etc etc. ok they look the part but who cares if the maps are 2 years old and you cant add things like speed cameras or enter full postcodes if you want to?

I paid £150 for a navman 7" touch screen unit that i can update easily and cost me £20 for speed camera updates for the year. New maps are about £40 but the ones it came with are bang up to date anyway :thumbs:

Car manufacturers in general seem to be ripping customers off with OEM satnavs imo....they know you would be silly to spec a car these days without satnav for resale so they have you over a barrell unless tou want to rip your interior apart to fit an aftermarket model.

There was a thing on the news and the Govt are now investigating this rip off and how out of date the maps are. They are taking it purely from the angle that its dangerous to have out of date maps on devices sending cars/vans/lorries down roads that arent meant for them and have since been reclassified, but as everyone runs old maps, they still go down there. Hopefully in a few years this will thrash it out.

The problem in the 370z is all the other bits you get with the nav are really nice to have that you dont get in a standard non-nav. Its not just the nav, its being able to easily hook up a reversing camera, play MP3s etc all through the OEM system. And not having to sticky a sat nav to the screen when you need it.

• 3 months later...

I just searched NavTeq's a different way (go to navigation.com and ensure that Europe is mentioned towards the top-right, then use the drop down in the blue area on the left) and found what appears to be the latest/currently recommended update for Connect Premium: http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERS ... onMenu=YES

2011, X9.0

Will check what mine currently is...

As per usual, the software installed in the car reports itself using a completely different version format to what Nissan and NavTeq use online...

My best guess with these disks is that the X-followed-by-a-number (X9.0 in the case of the latest NavTeq update) is really the version of Connect Premium that you'll be updated to with that disk, while the year (2011) is the map data version. From previous experience with Honda maps, the way these things work is that NavTeq provide the map data, but then the car manufacturer has to wrap that data up in a container/format that's ready for their in-car units to read. Because the map data format may have changed, or because the map data may offer new features, I guess it makes sense for manufacturers to roll out updates to their systems on the same disks. That way, I presume no one can easily get into a situation where the map data is incompatible with the 'operating system' of their in-car unit... Also works out quite well financially for Nissan - you want the USB image viewer that you don't have in your current operating system? You'll need a map update disk, even if you weren't bothered about updated maps!

NavTeq (and I presume Nissan) are saying that the latest version of the Connect Premium operating system is X9.0, whereas my car reports "FLASH Ware: X3E10007" and "FLASH Application: X3E12015" which is entirely useless in terms of translating that to an X-something-point-something..! Does that make it X8.0? X8.5? X9.0?

The map is the same; rather than "2011," I get "Map Version: 20100521" from the display- that, I presume (it's a date backwards), means either "2010" or (if such a thing exists) "2010/11" in NavTeq/Nissan's online speak... Although I guess it could still be the "2011" release, depending on how they convert! Confusing.

One final thing: finally pulled the door off the cubby behind the drivers' seat (open it as still hinged at the bottom past 3 - I think - clicks... last one takes a bit of a shove, then pull the whole thing towards the back of the seat - it should come away easily) and then opened the little panel that looks like it should house a DVD drive... only to find no such thing! I can only assume that Connect Premium is therefore updated via the CD/DVD drive that's used for playing CDs and DVD movies (under the screen), then! Listening with the car and audio off, I'm pretty sure I can hear hard drive activity from the same area, under the screen.

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

The empty compartment behind the seat is where thr DVD player lives for pre premium connect satnav sytems.

I know, 'cos that's what I have in my 2009 370 :D

But I was quoted something like a £250 (inc VAT) for the DVD update - no thanks.

I did get this about the updates iif it helps :shrug:

System........................................................Part Number....................Map Data From.......................Release Date

Nissan Connect SD card......................................KE288-99ESD11.................Q4 2010.................................Oct 2011

Nissan Connect Premium DVD-ROM X9.0^

(includes software update and 4 map disc updates).....KE288-99E9X11..................Q4 2009................................Oct 2011

Birdview DVD European Map version X7.0.................KE288-9997X11.................Q4 2009................................Jan 2011

Birdview DVD European Map version X6.0*................KE288-9996X11.................Q4 2009................................Jan 2011

• 3 months later...

Just had a ridiculous phone call from Nissan customer service - confirming that my maps in my 2010 roadster are the latest available! I said but cars that came out over a year ago have a more up to date version - the reponse from Nissan Customer Service? " Have they?" was the surprised response - thank god the engineers are better than customer services.

Then they thought there might be an update late October or November but now really sure.

Andrew

• 11 months later...

So i am caging from the range of responses is that no one has updated the maps!! I will have to have a look at which maps i have in my 370 GT "12/13" model, i will re-post later, a Nissan dealer told me that the GTR map update works on the zed connect system and that someone on one of the zed forums was selling it.

• 9 years later...

Screenshot_20220927-230048_eBay.jpg.0d5d8b4da0973e8b9cbc9f6770fadf9b.jpgI managed to update my 2009 sat nav to the latest edition but this is as far as it went. Unfortunately there are no further discs for the 2009 sat nav. I have attached the copy from navtech for your reference. Also the same one is available from ebay as attached. I know this is frustrating to know there are no more updates after this disc for the 2009 370Z , but to be honest there are so many aftermarket satnavs on the market I would just use your phone it's much more accurate and you can enter post codes too ! I find the 370z a novelty of its quirky nature as with many things in life it gets outdated but not necessarily updated ! Its just one of those things you have to live with, there's more things to enjoy like driving the actual car itself ! 

20220927_225733.jpg

Edited by Scott370z